Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Profanity -- Is one word better than another?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ScottieElisabeth

ScottieElisabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had articles purchased on Helium.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

My manuscript is YA urban fantasy. There is a decent amount of profanity, because I'm true to my teen MC.

I was wondering though, if it would make a difference if I changed f-bombs to tamer words (s-word, d-word, etc.)? Or is one just as bad as the other? I don't want to waste the time making the change if it doesn't make a difference, but I've found the it doesn't have to be an f-bomb, it can be tamer.

Thoughts?

Query in Progress

Also in need of an editor for my urban fantasy manuscript.

Click here for my writing blog.

#2 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook format at all leading online retailers.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, paperback edition available at numerous retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia and Fishpond.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

My personal opinion would be to tame it down, if the F-bomb is not necessary. I find the lesser swear words to be more, mmm, I don't know - I guess I find that they can still add all the necessary emotion to the dialogue and still be uncurbed, and yet keep it from becoming too brassy. Does that kinda make sense?

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Although I don't have a problem with the f-word in general in stories, if it's overused it's annoying and counter-productive. If it's used in moderation, it spices up the character. If it's used too often, however, it can be seen as lazy writing and reflect on the writer, which is obviously not what you're going for at all.

#4 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over the years non-fiction work published in several regional newspaper and magazines. I have recently self-published a collection of ten short stories set in a community theatre.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

I don't know what the editorial standards are for Young Adult fiction. That is to say, do editors tend to prefer you not use such words? I'd consider that first and foremost.

But if editors of the genre in general don't care, I think then it is a matter of character. You have to ask yourself if the person speaking would be someone more likely to say one curse word over another. I agree with mwsinclair that the overuse of the f-bomb, or any word for that matter does run the risk of sounding lazy or uninspired. However, I would add that many real people, particularly teens, do use certain words like that over and over again in real life. And they sound uninspired and boring when they do it in real life as well. So ask yourself if perhaps any given character is in fact a bit lazy in the language department. If they are linguistically lazy then perhaps they are in fact f-bombing every other phrase. If not, perhaps they only use it sporadically, or never.

I also think the use of the f-bomb, or again any profanity in your fiction, can be made more potent, if say one character says it all the time, one says it only when angry, one never says it at all, and so on. That way, it isn't your writing, but the specific nature of any given character that is being displayed by the usage.

My short story collection, Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater is now available for 99 cents on Kindle, Apple devices and from Smashwords

The Little Dionysus Playhouse is a different place every day. Sure, its house, green room, lobby, and odd hallway may all look the same day in and day out, but the various people who call the community playhouse home bring different plans, visions, fears and follies into it as soon as they enter. So each day, to each person, it’s somewhere new. In the middle of all of that, art emerges. Eventually. The ten stories in Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater explore both the drama and the comedy that takes place inside a community playhouse on and off the stage.

#5 Julez

Julez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:41 AM

I don’t think it matters that much if it’s true to the protagonist character. It all depends when and how it’s used. Just like a good comedian.

#6 Stumped

Stumped

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:No credits yet

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

I always try to tone my profanity down a bit, but in some cases swearing just suits both the character and the scene. Some readers will consider certain words worse than others. typically the F-word or any profanity that includes it in the word is seen as the worst, I would avoid using it if you could.

#7 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,015 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Everything in F-ing moderation.

#8 Rowanwolf

Rowanwolf

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's currently all wishful thinking.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

I thought BBC had a nice take on this in her blog... should be below if i did this right.

http://www.writerwri...-sometimes.html

#9 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE and THE HILO HUSTLE are available at Amazon.com and on B&N.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

When I wrote my recently-completed ms I sprinkled a decent amount of profanities throughout, especially from the mouths of two characters in particular. I didn't think much of it but a beta reader suggested I tone it down -- she said something to the effect that yes, we know these guys are foul-mouthed, but they don't have to be every time they open their pie holes. Reading through it with a more critical eye I found she was correct. I wound up not turning them into choirboys but I did delete plenty of gratuitous f-bombs and other colorful words. Cleaned it up a tad an actually the story moves along much better.

#10 Dan

Dan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I've written articles on travel and the arts for a British newspaper. I'm also a graduate of Long Ridge Writers.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

I vote for tamer. For me, too much profanity is a turn off. Not because I am a puritan or anything but because it seems like a crutch for the writer. It is a little easier to write a potty mouth character than one who is able to express themselves in other ways. Write in fewer f-bombs and hopefully you'll see the same thing. F-ing right.

#11 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

I've had a similar issue. First three chapters of my Ms are set in combat in Vietnam where historically there was only one adjective or adverb and it was the f word in both cases. You all may find that hard to believe, but I think it was much like speaking Chinese - it all depended on inflection.

There was no way I could get historical speech past even jaded readers. I settled for using it almost always in casual settings to suggest the truth - language fails you in situations of high stress when all you can think to do is assault the audience.

I agree it should be used to highlight character and conflict, but in the end you need to listen to the music in your head.

#12 ScottieElisabeth

ScottieElisabeth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had articles purchased on Helium.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks, everyone! I tamed the f-bombs as much as I could, but I had to stay true to my character. I've just decided to go with the "balance is key" idea and only drop the words when necessary. =]

Query in Progress

Also in need of an editor for my urban fantasy manuscript.

Click here for my writing blog.

#13 anticipa

anticipa

Ant, the Quixotic Query Quibbler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A piece of flash fiction in Bad Austen, published Nov. 2011 by Adams Media.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Clippership had a fantastic post about this a while back on her blog! Basically, she said that using a curse excessively is just like using any other crutch word excessively. If you want a character to say "uh" all the time, be prepared for it to be a tic that'll turn off some readers. Same for "shit", etc.

I have this character in my current ms who desperately wants to seem and feel more grown-up than he is, so he curses a LOT to cover up his insecurities and fears. In my opinion, this actually is an instance where "excessive" cursing is necessary - but someone's going to bring it up with him later, so the reasoning will get addressed in the ms. I'm hoping it can stay, because it's a quirk I think fits him really well.

*shrug* In the end, it's all just personal opinion. I don't care about seeing a million f-bombs, as long as they're worked into the text instead of glaring out at me. But I'm sure some people would be like MMMGHHH UNNECESSARY CURSING GO AWAYYYY.

© this post is a riley redgate production

reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

i blog! i tweet!

#14 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

I suppose it's possible someone hasn't seen this eloquent essay on the F-word.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#15 Tom Bradley

Tom Bradley

A big old goober.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My indie novels THE KONA SHUFFLE and THE HILO HUSTLE are available at Amazon.com and on B&N.

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Another thought: Consider the dialog Seth Rogen has used in every movie in which he's starred. Then, do the exact opposite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users