#1 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

So, people continue to ask me...What are you doing? I keep telling people that I try new things every day. One quick new thing. Sometimes small. Sometimes on a grander scale. I get requests for examples all the time.

Promotion is so much more about what YOU are willing to do for your book than what I'm doing, so I am issuing this challenge. I will post what I do with my daily promotion if you do. I'll post every day for a month (although when I do it depends on when my one year old daughter gives me a chance to get on the computer.)

You want to know what daily promotion looks like? Get off your butt and join me. Post daily.

Will it work? You probably won't know till March/April. Some seeds you plant might take much longer to show results.

Remember, you're not copying my promotion (although if I do something that you feel you should do...go ahead). You're accepting a challenge to do at least 1 thing a day to promote your book and you're going to hold yourself accountable for doing something new daily by posting here. Try to keep it contained to no more than an hour a day. I do 30 mins and 30 mins.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

I'm game! Though it may not be an hour a day until I get this %#!@# exam off my plate.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#3 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Doesn't have to be an hour. It could take 5 minutes. It just has to be something new toward promotion and it shouldn't take more than an hour. :)
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#4 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:44 AM

Works for me. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#5 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

This is a great idea, Ruth. Thanks for starting this!
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm intrigued.

#7 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,121 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is awesome, Ruth.

There is no reason why you should have to spend your precious time teaching (and emailing) everyone else how to attain the success you have worked hard for. This is your time--guard it! With that said, thank you for sharing your promotion bits with other members. I hope your generosity is rewarded with some tips and ideas you can use. Either way, I'm sure this will become an inspiring thread.

Are you okay with folks adding their promotion bits if they are trying to build a brand (maybe don't have a book to promote yet)?

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#8 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

As I have put my first book up on Smashwords, I really should do this. That and get the next one ready to go.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,121 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

I don't have a book to promote, but I have a 'brand' I'm working on and a platform I'm trying to build for my It's All Kid's Play project.

Today I:
  • Tweeted an activity of the day for parents to do with their children, some research, as well as some articles related to play and parenting
  • commented on a few parenting Facebook groups as well as added my activity of the day to my FB page
  • added some cool images to my Pinterest Kid's Play page and commented on some other user's fun images
  • commented on a parenting blog or two

I love Tweeting and pinning items on Pinterest, but when it comes to Facebook I have a bit of troubles connecting with others it seems. I've chatted with all sort of great folks on Twitter and Pinterest, but Facebook is where my audience is. I think I need to read Facebook for Dummies or something. :tongue: Help!

P.S. Pinterest.com is a social media site where you can pin images off the net. It's pretty cool. I did a blog post giving the lowdown if you are interested in learning more quickly. It's here.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#10 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

I don't mind what people are promoting -- this is about goal setting and keeping each other motivated. Even if you don't have a book out, you can work on building a platform for it and a network of people who will help you spread the word when it is released.

Today I:
Started a thread on AQC about promotion.

Put FREE labels on 30 books I purchased from Createspace with the intention of giving them out in places I frequent and asking my friends and family to give them to people who are outside of my network. The sticker tells people where they can buy book 2 in paperback or as an ebook. The books are unsigned so they have a lesser value and are more likely to be passed on.

Filled out the paperwork necessary for my speaking engagement about epubbing at a local library. All set for my hubby to mail out tomorrow.

Sent out an email to a woman who is doing two local epubbing workshops with me.

Answered my "fan" mail.
Checked my twitter account.
Responded on Facebook.

Spoke to an author about cross promotional ideas.

Oh, yes, and edited my original post because someone thought it sounded harsh...lol
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#11 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I don't mind what people are promoting -- this is about goal setting and keeping each other motivated. Even if you don't have a book out, you can work on building a platform for it and a network of people who will help you spread the word when it is released.

Today I:
Started a thread on AQC about promotion.

Put FREE labels on 30 books I purchased from Createspace with the intention of giving them out in places I frequent and asking my friends and family to give them to people who are outside of my network. The sticker tells people where they can buy book 2 in paperback or as an ebook. The books are unsigned so they have a lesser value and are more likely to be passed on.

Filled out the paperwork necessary for my speaking engagement about epubbing at a local library. All set for my hubby to mail out tomorrow.

Sent out an email to a woman who is doing two local epubbing workshops with me.

Answered my "fan" mail.
Checked my twitter account.
Responded on Facebook.

Spoke to an author about cross promotional ideas.

Oh, yes, and edited my original post because someone thought it sounded harsh...lol

All this took you less than 60 minutes???? Good grief, woman, I think you just explained the secret to your success! :laugh:

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#12 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

The trick is not to linger. Get on. Get off. Check it off the list :)
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#13 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,121 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

That is nice and speedy! And it sounds like you are hitting lots of different bases.

#14 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Ruthie, have to agree-- no wonder your numbers stay strong. : )

Managed to get on twitter for a bit and make some author connections. Also got onto Pinterest and added my book covers and site. Not much but it's something.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#15 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

My book's not available yet (out in a month)but I'm trying to expand my network. Yesterday I friend requested a group of writers and promoted a friend's book on my facebook page.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,598 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Ruthie, I see the other half of your secret. I had a job a while back that required that same type of drive. I'm probably being over simplistic, but it sounds like you do as many things as you can and hit each one quickly and professionally and then move on.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#17 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,121 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Today:

- Got rejected by a publisher for having a platform that wasn't big enough
- Went to drown my woes in Oreos but apparently I already did that yesterday. The bag is empty.

So... I hitched up my jeans (oh, who am I kidding. They aren't sliding down anytime soon) and I:

- Looked into contributing to a Pinterest craft group on Pinterest
- Tweeted and activity of the day (take a hike! Look for a groundhog!) and posted it on FB as well. Tried to phrase it in a way that might start a conversation and referenced a cool hiking blog
- Got a couple new followers on Twitter (yay!). Found a few more folks to follow. Started conversations (on Twitter) with some great people doing interesting things
- Starting to think about places where I could contribute articles to expand my reach
- Decided I need to do a whole hell of a lot more work

Later...
- added new Pinterest URL to some of my misc social network profiles.

Edited by Jean Oram, 02 February 2012 - 03:54 PM.
Adding more...

#18 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'm writing this with my little one tucked into my side watching Little Einsteins:

Today I:

Answered an email from a wife a friend of mine who thinks she can translate my books into Italian. Made an tentative coffee date to meet with her next week. I planted the seed for this months ago with a simple email.

Quickly checked out Konrath's blog to see if anything big was afoot. I skim only the topics of the week. Nothing.

I checked out the Writer's Cafe at Kindle Boards the exact same way. Time spent there...approximately 3 minutes. Just long enough to read the titles. These are the places I usually discover when there is a glitch (like when Kindle reset how we were all getting paid) or when new opportunities are being discussed. Nothing new there, either.

Checked in quickly with some authors I'm cross promoting with. I mention their stuff. They mention mine. We swap ideas on how to promote better.

Called an author I'm helping transition over from traditional publication to self-pubbing. Talked strategy with her for a good 20 minutes. (Which brings me over my hour for today.)

Called another author who has been very helpful to me. Suggested a way that the two authors could help each other. Asked her about Allromance.com and if she thought it was worth putting my book up there.

Read detailed email response.

Made a publisher account at Allromance. No time today to put my book up. I'll do it one day this week, though. One step at a time. I'll read the directions one day. Format another day. Put it up another day. That's the only way I can keep moving ahead within my budgeted time.

Printed out a copy of libraries in Rhode Island. When I get time I'm going to call each one and see how much they pay to have authors speak there.

Twitter
Facebook
email

And a quick search of my name and book title online. Only takes five minutes, but it sometimes reveals important facts..like when someone tried to steal my book as their own....but it also gives me a chance to connect with people who mention me.

I went over my hour limit today because of the phone calls, but it was all worth it.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#19 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

I'm writing this with my little one tucked into my side watching Little Einsteins:

And a quick search of my name and book title online. Only takes five minutes, but it sometimes reveals important facts..like when someone tried to steal my book as their own....but it also gives me a chance to connect with people who mention me.

What?! seriously? *feels faint*

#20 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

CT which part made you faint? the speed search?
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users