#41 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

Today I:

Doubled the amt. of twitter followers
more than tripled the amt. of people i followed on twitter
sent my manuscript to an editor

#42 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Paul -- you're on the right track building your followers. If you're not already doing it, try to target followers who are likely to read the type of book you are going to release. You can do this by finding authors who write in your genre and following their followers...or connecting with them via #hashtags You've got time now to study how those who are doing well in your genre are connecting with their readers. :)

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the great tips. I'm still figuring out a twitter strategy. As soon as I am closer to releasing the book, I'm thinking of switching focus from other authors to travel related - being that my book is set on a Greek Island and location is a key part of the story. Maybe affiliate marketing on travel sites too.

#43 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Kept it simple on Saturday -- mostly a family day.

Made a to-do list for this week.
Organized who I could promote this week.
Checked out pintrest. Decided for now it was too time consuming.
Answered emails from "fans".
Connected with an author about what she is doing.
Twitter.
Facebook.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#44 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thanks Ruthie! I think it was a fluke. lol.

Also kept it simple on Sat.

A bit more on pinterest, and also jwm, wasn't sure why I couldn't be found, so I've emailed them. I'll admit, their search engine sucks, but I like being able to put together a visual board of pics for story inspirations and also describing all the little details that I'm wont to skip over if I'm not actually looking at something.
Emailed Smashwords to find out why my book isn't listed as a historical romance on itunes (this should make a big difference, since there are only 33 free hist. romances listed).
Helped another author with going free on Amazon, and informed her that her book was listed as #1 in Romance on itunes (she said she's seen a 500% increase in book sales since I redid her covers. :biggrin: )
Worked on a book cover for another author-- it's not direct marketing for my books, but every cover I do links me to more authors, who seem happy to promote my book covers AND my books, so I think it helps. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#45 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Wish my book was out and I could join in on this thread. Still researching and working on marketing plan - got my twitter followers to over 1000 this week.

Wow Paul, that's amazing! Congrats!

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#46 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:22 AM

Ruth,

This was such a good idea! This thread is very motivating and also inspiring - getting lots of good ideas and being motivated to do stuff I proscrastinate about just so I can "brag" that I did it on here :tongue:

Friday afternoon, after I had already posted my activity, I also:
--registered for the NH Writers' Project conference and signed up for all the marketing, social media, and e-publishing workshops
--sat down and created a marketing plan using a list of categories of activites that I had found somewhere (which I knew where!). It was actually really fun and easy and I realized there's so much that will be simple for me to do without a lot of effort, which really cheered me up.

Saturday - bupkus

Sunday:
--made a to-do list for the week
--read "the 30 minute marketer" which I've had bookmarked to read for several weeks (http://30minutemarke...abian.com/index)

--Terri

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy

#47 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Paul, that is excellent!! Congrats!!

And inquiring minds want to know... which Greek island? Love the islands!!

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#48 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

Paul, that is excellent!! Congrats!!

And inquiring minds want to know... which Greek island? Love the islands!!

Hi Calista,

I've a ways to go to catch up with you :)

Greek Island is Kefalonia.

#49 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

Hi Calista,

I've a ways to go to catch up with you :)

Greek Island is Kefalonia.

You'll get there in no time at all!! : )

Haven't been to that one. Must be nice though. Despite how touristy it is, I'm still a sucker for Mykonos with all the little alley ways. : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

#50 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Not much promo today. Just the social media stuff. Sunday is my long day to write.

I am also enjoying this challenge because there are days when I want to skip the promo...but then I don't want to write that I did nothing...lol So, this is really good for me, too.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#51 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

Also Friday:

* added some plugins (search engine optimization tools and follow tools/buttons in particular) to my blog

Today and yesterday:
* The usual keep it going Twitter (I try to make meaningful connections with people I believe are my real audience as well as others who have great research, books, or blog on the area of interest.)
* The usual keep it going Facebook
* Researched marketing, platform, etc.
* Interlibrary loaned some books on using social media for platform building
* Read a great blog on building a writing platform

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#52 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

(I've tried google alert. Sometimes I find more just doing a quick 24 hour tool search).

Ruth, what is a 24 hour tool search?

I have tried tweetdeck, but I find regular twitter just as easy to follow and search

I have found the same with TweetDeck. I'm enjoying Hootsuite (free). You can schedule updates for both Facebook and Twitter from there. Nice!

I am very interested in learning how to link my twitter, blog, facebook page the way I've seen some authors do it.

Do you mean so if you post something on your blog a tweet and Facebook update/post/thingy goes out? There should be a plugin for that. Some social media dashboards do that too, but I'm not sure which ones.

If you just want Twitter and Facebook to talk to each other, that's pretty easy. (Except I can't get Twitter and Facebook to talk to each other at the moment...so maybe not!) In Twitter, go to your edit profile page and at the bottom you can link it to Facebook. In theory you post on Twitter, it goes to Facebook (Except @replies, etc.). You can also tell Facebook to post to Twitter.

Good luck! (These little things really can save time--not on the front end of course, but later on.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#53 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Jean, I thought hootsuite was a pay service. Is there a free version?

Cali MacKay

FREE

#54 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:33 PM

I hate being a slacker, but not much this weekend. Saturday was mostly crits and writing. Today I started researching book reviewer blogs and did a quick browse of Writer's Cafe.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#55 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

Jean,

the 24 hour tool search is simply how I refine my google search. I don't look past unless I haven't done it daily. Some of what I share might be DUH statements, but they are things I didn't know when I started. I didn't put everything in quotation marks when I searched and used to have to wade through a lot of junk. Cali taught me how to refine my searches better.

24 hours is an option in the left menu when you search.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#56 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

Mostly caught up on Twitter for Sunday. Also helped another writer with her story.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#57 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks, Ruth. That makes a lot of sense. (Never noticed the 24 hour button.) Smart!

Cali, HootSuite has a free version which works quite nicely for what I'm doing.

So far today:
- Twitter stuff
- Facebooked my activity of the day
- Commented on a few blog posts related to the platform I'm building
- Read articles on using social media, parenting, etc.

#58 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

- made a gift bag for the raffle that I'll have tomorrow at the library

- organized some books to bring with me in case people want to buy one.

- looked a some sites that promote FREE romances -- sent my link off to one but some of the other looked dicey

_ Twitter, Facebook, email
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#59 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

--adding some more ideas to my marketing plan
--put out a notice I was looking for guest bloggers and authors to interview to a fellow female spec fic writers group
--worked by email with my new "blog ring of power" pals to lay out some details of our cross-promotional initiative
--found five new blogs to follow and left comments at some of them

--Terri

#60 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Here is a link from Chris Brogan's blog on how writers can use social media to their advantage to promote books, etc. I know a lot of you are already doing much of this, but I thought I'd share it in case: http://www.chrisbrog...r-social-media/

Today:
- Twitter stuff
- Facebook stuff
- Research SEO, checking out site formats I like, mulling things over in the back of my brain
- Reading up on marketing type stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users