203 replies to this topic

#61 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,153 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Me again with another link: http://socialtrigger...ffic/#more-2934 (How to increase blog traffic through 'drafting.' This one really is awesome.

And here's how to get some journalist love http://socialtrigger...no-connections/ (It may not apply to all of you at the moment, but it might jumpstart some ideas.)

As you can see, in my free minutes here and there I am doing some research so when my revamped website is ready to go I will know which steps to take to ensure it gets some attention. I can do this, I can do this, Icandothis!

Go team!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#62 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

Facebook
Twitter
email

Presented self-pubbing strategies at a local library.
Networked with program director to pass my name along to other libraries. She enjoyed the talk and said she would love to.

Noted some great places mentioned here....put them on my list to check out.

My after school presentation ate up my evening promotion time. It probably wasn't worth it promotion-wise, but it felt great to be able to give back some of the knowledge people have generously given me and it made me feel like real author :) I know. I know. But when you self-pub, it's hard to get that feeling. :)

Would I do it again? Yes, but sparingly. There were people there who might come here for information now and who might now be inspired to follow their dream more....so that part was also worth it :)
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#63 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

Not too much yesterday. Did contact a few writers and make a few covers. Need to catch up on twitter and follow backs today. And get to all Jean's links!! : )

Ruthie, glad the library thing went well!!

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#64 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,153 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

Also yesterday:

- joined From The Write Angle blog. Yay! Group blogging with people I love. A nice, fun way to get a little more exposure.

Today:

- Twitter
- Facebook
- Pinterest (not quite done there yet.)

Note: I took a good look at things last weekend and decided I needed to have more fun. If I wasn't enjoying it, I needed to not do it. (I'd upped the pressure on myself.) And I have to say, I enjoyed yesterday tremendously. I got that 'learning new stuff' high and I even loved Facebooking this morning. I found a ton of great stuff!!! Yes!

I'm going to be away for a few days and access to my computer will be intermittent. So I will front load some tweets and FB posts (using Hootsuite) and blog posts today. You may not hear from me Thurs and Fri but I will be doing stuff.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#65 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

I listed my book with Book Barista. I didn't want to put my book up for free and I am finding some limitations because of that.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#66 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

yesterday, had a migraine so didn't do much:
--followed two more blogs
--left comments on a couple of blogs
--got emails from my AQC "blog ring of power" pals so we could discuss our nefarious plans to take over the blogosphere via email

Today:
--set up a spreadsheet to track the blogs I'm visiting and how frequently I'm commenting on each one
--set a goal to comment on five blogs per week, starting this week,and increasing by 5 blogs per week (so 10 next week, etc.)
--fielded two more requests to join blog ring of power and three requests to be interviewed by authors (yay, it's working!)
--read all the good stuff Jean has passed on (thanks Jean!)

What I'm REALLY liking about the fact that I'm starting all this stuff well before I have a book published is that I'm learning a lot and I have the time now to invest in this - I can see that waiting to do this stuff until AFTER the book is published, or near being published, would be really hard. Or maybe I just move really slowly, but I'm only getting around to systematically following other blogs and such NOW and I've been on AQC since September.

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#67 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

--got emails from my AQC "blog ring of power" pals so we could discuss our nefarious plans to take over the blogosphere via email

Mwa-ha-ha! Love it.

--fielded two more requests to join blog ring of power and three requests to be interviewed by authors (yay, it's working!)
--read all the good stuff Jean has passed on (thanks Jean!)

Yay on it working. And no problem on the links. Glad you found them helpful.

What I'm REALLY liking about the fact that I'm starting all this stuff well before I have a book published is that I'm learning a lot and I have the time now to invest in this - I can see that waiting to do this stuff until AFTER the book is published, or near being published, would be really hard. Or maybe I just move really slowly, but I'm only getting around to systematically following other blogs and such NOW and I've been on AQC since September.

There are so many things to learn, aren't there? There's blogging and then there's taking it to the next level. Same with all of it! Plus, now you have the time to experiment when the stakes are low. You'll be a pro by the time you need it!

#68 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Plus, now you have the time to experiment when the stakes are low. You'll be a pro by the time you need it!

Yes, because apparently my book is going to be published...never. Never is when it's going to be published. So it should take me about two years to write something else, so, hopefully two years from now my platform is going to be rockin', my followers will be legion, and then.....mwahahahahaha!!!! :biggrin:

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy

#69 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm loving the energy of this thread.

Facebook, twitter, email

I also created a new FB page: Ruthie Recommends where I can promote my author buddies. No idea if it will work out, but I thought I'd try it.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#70 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ok, and I wrote to a man who wrote an article that referenced my book back in June. I'm hoping he'd like to write about the story behind the Heaving Bosoms headlines.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#71 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

It looks like reviews are one of the best marketing tools. How in the world do you get reviewed? I am so glad I'm doing this with my short story collection. Including that and the book I am preparing to write, I will have 5 books out in the next year-plus (I could throw them all out there by mid summer, but I want to pace it so I can write and edit them at a reasonable rate). I'm planning at least 3 this year and I'd really like to get the hang of marketing before that third one.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#72 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Oh, Robin reminds me of something else for my to-do list - start compiling a list of websites that do book reviews. Argh! But good argh - I mean, "argh" I have no time and all this stuff could very easily become a full time job, but "argh" wow, there's so much more I can do/be doing than I had realized. I've been hovering on the brink of self-publishing, scared to take the plunge because I just felt like "I don't have the network/connections", I don't have the know-how, etc. to do the marketing piece. Ruth, your simple challenge has really opened my eyes and made this all seem so manageable. If I just challenge myself to do something new every single day, even a small thing, I'm CAN do it. I think it was Robin who said that one of the keys to your success is your drive - and I can really see that the "sticking" power of doing something every day makes things snowball. In the first 8 days of February I've already had half the total number of unique visitors to my website as I had for all of January (which was more than December, which was more than November). Thank you, Ruth!

Today I:
--exchanged more emails with my webring of power to finalize overall plans & cement plans for first author interview
--announced my first ever blog contest, asking readers to help me identify books with mixed age MCs as a way to narrow in on my target market/audience
--dug out my 2011 "A Working Writer's Daily Planner" (pub: small beer press) that I picked up for free at ReaderCon last July. I loved this little daily planner - it's got contest deadlines, conference dates, writing tips, writing prompts, famous writer birthdays, etc. - but I did't do much with it last year. I started going through it highlighting things of interest - writing prompts, associations/conferences to check out
--went to the publisher's website and ordered two 2012 planners - 1 to use as a giveaway (probably in a blog contest)
--tagged five more blogs/websites to follow/comment on
--friended three people on AQC
--started an html style sheet for my website - there's a few html by hand tweaks I make to every post and I also have to go searching for the code; this will make my updates more efficient if I have all the tweak codes in one place

--Terri

#73 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Ruth, glad the library thing went well.

TBruce, you're going to be a blogging genius.

I've made an effort to be more active on twitter, but my # of followers is still pathetic. I went back throught the RWA's issue with all the marketing resources (January 2012.) Read about QR Codes. After I launch, I think I'm going to get some mini-moos with my book cover (Thanks again, Cali :wub: ) and a QR linking to the amazon page. that way I'll have something tangible to hand to people.

Plan to get to glogster, tumblr,and klout. Also the article on Demystifying Goodreads.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#74 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

I think I may have stumbled on quite a number of SF book reviewers. I submitted to one of them, but they take 3 months.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#75 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Not much new today. FB, twitter, email.

I did contact a woman via Kindle Boards regarding some possible cross promotion.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#76 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

Yesterday, I tweaked my book page on amazon, which I hope will boost numbers a bit. I swear there was more, but I'm under a dayquil induced haze, so can't remember anything.

Came across this post on tools for promoting your books. Very good, imo. http://www.thebookde...ook-on-twitter/

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#77 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Yesterday, I tweaked my book page on amazon, which I hope will boost numbers a bit. I swear there was more, but I'm under a dayquil induced haze, so can't remember anything.

Came across this post on tools for promoting your books. Very good, imo. http://www.thebookde...ook-on-twitter/

Cali,

Thanks for the link. I just signed up for Klout - another site to eat up more of my day :)

#78 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,248 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

Cali,

Thanks for the link. I just signed up for Klout - another site to eat up more of my day :)

Luckily with Klout, you don't have to do anything, but it does help you track how efficient you're being with your tweets.

Today, not much, but did more on pinterest and caught up on following back twitter followers.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#79 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

All the usual social media stuff.

My new was to participate in a blog hop. I didn't put my blog up and I didn't talk about my book. I just supported various authors through it and left my name all over. It might done nothing or it might bring some new connections into my network.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#80 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,153 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

I've been doing the usual for the past few days although I haven't checked in here. (Tweeted activity of the day, (and on FB), read a few articles, followed a few new, etc., etc. Some Pinterest stuff.)

As for new...

* Officially joined From The Write Angle blog.
* Started skimming a book on social media.
* Made a list of things I want to accomplish in the next while along with a week plan. (Hopefully not a *weak* plan. :wink: )
* Talked to an artist about ideas and platform. Planned another line of attack.

A little note on Twitter followers. Personally, I think a slow, steady build is natural for 'unknown' folks such as myself. (You know, try not to freak out if you don't have 1000 in a month--although that would be sweet, eh?) My thoughts are that many people follow only me because I am following them. It's an auto response (in some ways literally) and these folks aren't always my real audience even though I try to follow people with similar interests. (The people I follow in my @KidsPlay account are closer to my audience as they are parenting folks and the book there has to do with... parenting! Whereas my @jeanoram are other writers--who do read (I hope!), but aren't a sure shot in terms of loving to read the stuff I write.)

So, my feeling is that the followers that appear after I post something 'good' (whether an RT or something original or passing along something helpful) are my true audience. They are following because they saw something they liked in my 'brand.' Assuming, of course, that tidbit was in fact in line with my brand and not a one-off brilliant tweet about Angelina Jolie's babies. Anyway, I thought I'd chat about that since it seems like a bunch of us are Tweeting our hearts out.

What do you think? I'd love to hear your thoughts on followers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users