#101 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I didn't join the monthly challenge even though I do something every day. A problem I'm finding is remembering what I did last week. I haven't kept a log of the things I'm doing to promote myself so I find myself repeating things I shouldn't have to do a second time. So, now I'll start a journal as well, to keep me straight.

Jean, months and months ago I found friends on FB that had similar interests and were friends of friends of mine. Some of these people have thousands of friends. A problem I've encountered is when I do a test to see who is viewing my postings, I get very few replies. Makes me wonder how to have these friends of my friends see what I'm posting. Every once in a while I get a comment from a friend about a post but I have no clue how they seen it. What you were saying about the liker feed will require some immediate investigation. Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#102 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

Went away for the weekend to Bar Harbor - my favorite place on earth. Does mental health days count as a promotional activity? :laugh:

So, haven't done much but did a little:
--blog ring up and active; saw a big bump in traffice to my site from the cross posts/new traffic coming from the other sites
--sent out interview questions to author for interview; received feedback on the questions that we'll use to tweak the questions for future interviews
--another blog ring member sent out interview questions and we received completed questions back; our first interview will go up this week

Not promotional, but writing related I bought "The Literary Ladies Guide to the Writing Life" and started reading it. I LOVE it. I highly recommend this book for any and all aspiring authors. The most interesting bit I've leared from it is that most of the authors covered in the book only sat down and wrote for a few hours per day. Some of the most prolific said they only put pen to paper for like 30 hours per day. Combined with Ruth's "30 minutes per day" on marketing I'm seeing how the writing life is possible even when it's not your ONLY life (i.e. you still have to work to pay the bills). The key is definately to be focused, to keep good notes of what you have and have not done so you don't waste or duplicate effort, and to be really focused in the time you do have available to you. Very cool!

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#103 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I don't have time to post a catch up this morning (I will later), but I read the posts and I'm so excited for you guys. Keep up the momentum.

Absolutely, the one new thing a day is a brain racker, but it keeps you out there and fresh. Trying something new and failing is still growing and learning. People tend to default to what is comfortable and known. It's human nature. If we track what we do daily, we often sit in the same seats, talk to the same people, drink the same beverages everyday. What would happen if you sat in a different seat everyday? Spoke to one new person everyday? Expanded the circle of your existance just a little each day? Chances are you'd turn around and discover that you had brought a wealth of new experiences into your life.

As Indie writers we can't afford to stay in our marketing comfort zone. We can't afford to be creatures of marketing habits. The market is changing everyday. One new thing everyday is (IMHO) the only way to not get left behind.

At the end of this month, I hope you're able to look back and marvel at how much you've done. I hope you see it -- because I do. There is an energy in your posts that you didn't have when you tentatively sign on for this. It's that drive that will get you where you want to go. I believe that.

And if this was easy, everyone would do it. It's not easy. It's frustrating, scary, and often humbling. Putting yourself out there full force offers you a chance at making it or a real chance at disappointment. But isn't that what every worthwhile challenge offers?

Well.I'm on vacation...so I'm off to write now. Happy promoting!
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#104 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:03 AM

A couple of replies first:

A problem I've encountered is when I do a test to see who is viewing my postings, I get very few replies. Makes me wonder how to have these friends of my friends see what I'm posting. Every once in a while I get a comment from a friend about a post but I have no clue how they seen it. What you were saying about the liker feed will require some immediate investigation. Thanks for the info.

Joe: I haven't gotten to testing who is viewing my postings yet. How do you do that?

No problem on the "like" feed. It's from a book I'm reading called "Likeable Media." The way they describe it when someone "likes" something it puts it into their feed which their friends can then see makes a lot of sense. Of course, this is all "potential" views because not many of us watch all our friend's feeds that closely.

Terri, I agree. Being focused and determined makes an impact, doesn't it?

Ruth, failing is a great way to learn! And in the case of my FB flop, it actually taught me how to improve. I'm getting more likes by the day so I see it as success! It made me try harder.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#105 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Yesterday for NEW:

I surfed Twitter (Monday night) and looked for folks who I could have a conversation with as well as 'help.' I had a couple nice conversations and may have helped someone. Not sure if this will pay off in traffic or follows in terms of time spent, but hopefully it will pay off in connections. I did it as an experiment to see what happens long term--not sure how I will measure this! (I did have a couple of conversations and got a new follower and an RT, so I guess I did get something immediate.)

As for Facebook, I'm getting the hang of it and am getting some "likes!" :biggrin:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
I was reading about newsletters and building an email list. Apparently publishers like this. (Having an 'opt in' box where people can sign up for a newsletter on your blog/site.) It's something I'm going to add to my new site when it is built as I feel that it is something I can do (once a month or so) and I have a ton of 'food for thought' that I think/hope will be engaging and helpful and valuable for readers. I was wondering, is anyone else doing this? Do you have any tips? Resources? Thanks!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#106 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yesterday for NEW:

I surfed Twitter (Monday night) and looked for folks who I could have a conversation with as well as 'help.' I had a couple nice conversations and may have helped someone. Not sure if this will pay off in traffic or follows in terms of time spent, but hopefully it will pay off in connections. I did it as an experiment to see what happens long term--not sure how I will measure this! (I did have a couple of conversations and got a new follower and an RT, so I guess I did get something immediate.)

As for Facebook, I'm getting the hang of it and am getting some "likes!" :biggrin:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
I was reading about newsletters and building an email list. Apparently publishers like this. (Having an 'opt in' box where people can sign up for a newsletter on your blog/site.) It's something I'm going to add to my new site when it is built as I feel that it is something I can do (once a month or so) and I have a ton of 'food for thought' that I think/hope will be engaging and helpful and valuable for readers. I was wondering, is anyone else doing this? Do you have any tips? Resources? Thanks!

Jean,

Mailchimp is a popular app for building an email list on your site. There's a WordPress plugin and it's easy to setup. I used it on my site. Of course, that's the easy part. Getting people to sign up is the trick - one that I have yet to master.

#107 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

Oh, this is totally a question I have - what is the different and/or pros/cons of having a blog that people can get updates via email or in their reader (RSS feed) versus a newsletter. Why do I need both? And are there any guidelines/tips for the difference in these two items? It just seems redundant to me but I have seen a lot of advice saying I should have both. I just don't know why I need both.

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#108 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

My new for the day was publishing on Amazon. My Smashwords edition finally received approval for the premium catalog (which means it will finally ship to B&N, Sony, & Apple the end of the week) and I finally found the info on how Smashwords and Amazon currently operate (unless you have sold over $1000, they won't ship it to Amazon, at least for now) so I made a few tweaks to my file and uploaded it. Error free first time, but I don't think it kept my page breaks. Oh well. I'm going to con one of my co-workers with a Kindle fire into buying it, even if I have to pay them back the $0.99 price I put on it. Again, I am so glad I am experimenting with this short story collection. I know far too much about how to format for Smashwords to get the result I want and now I need to learn Kindle.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#109 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is awesome guys. I've started a thread over here on newsletters, RSS, etc.: http://agentquerycon...ebsite-or-blog/ so we don't totally hijack this one.

I will do a quick reply here though.

Paul: Someone else had mentioned Mailchimp. Are there any drawbacks to using Wordpress's version? I use Wordpress. And yes, getting people to sign up could be very tricky. If you have any tips or 'don't do it's feel free to share them on that thread. Maybe we can brainstorm up some good stuff.

Terri: Updates via email usually is just that. When you post a new blog post and someone has signed up, they get an email saying there is a new post. Not sure about the details of what the email says--just added this to my blog this AM! You know... I should test that. An RSS feed is where folks use some sort of RSS reader (Yahoo! reader or Google Reader for example) and when you add a new post a link to it (with the title) shows up in their reader. Some readers email them to the subscriber. One thing you might want to check on your blog is that RSS only sends a summary or first bit of your post. If not, there is no reason to visit your blog--which is fine unless you are collecting stats. The other thing some say is that sending the whole post increases the likelihood of plagiarism and theft. Having both is good. Not redundant. Also having ways to share your content such as via social media is good. You do need to be careful not to get cluttery. That sucks. :sad: It's hard to know what to add and not add.

#110 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

NEW:

I figured out the 'nofollow' links for SEO optimization on my blog as well as a few other tweaks. Also added a email notification box so folks can get an email when I post something new. Hopefully this will expand my reach and help keep folks coming back.

#111 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

Jean, have you ever seen http://national.macaronikid.com/ They send out local newsletters with information and events specific to your area. There are often contests and giveaways, too. I can forward you the e-mail newsletter for my area if you're interested. I thought it might give you some ideas. I don't always open it, but when I do I usually read it.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#112 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

Oh, this is totally a question I have - what is the different and/or pros/cons of having a blog that people can get updates via email or in their reader (RSS feed) versus a newsletter. Why do I need both? And are there any guidelines/tips for the difference in these two items? It just seems redundant to me but I have seen a lot of advice saying I should have both. I just don't know why I need both.

--Terri

Terri,

A blog feed will go out to those who subscribe but the blog is also available to anyone. A newsletter, or general email, can be personalized. For example, I have a list (a very small count-on-my-fingers list) of people who signed up for notification when my book comes out. You could make that message say "Dear Terri, blah blah, book is available on Amazon..."

This is awesome guys. I've started a thread over here on newsletters, RSS, etc.: http://agentquerycon...ebsite-or-blog/ so we don't totally hijack this one.

I will do a quick reply here though.

Paul: Someone else had mentioned Mailchimp. Are there any drawbacks to using Wordpress's version? I use Wordpress. And yes, getting people to sign up could be very tricky. If you have any tips or 'don't do it's feel free to share them on that thread. Maybe we can brainstorm up some good stuff.

Terri: Updates via email usually is just that. When you post a new blog post and someone has signed up, they get an email saying there is a new post. Not sure about the details of what the email says--just added this to my blog this AM! You know... I should test that. An RSS feed is where folks use some sort of RSS reader (Yahoo! reader or Google Reader for example) and when you add a new post a link to it (with the title) shows up in their reader. Some readers email them to the subscriber. One thing you might want to check on your blog is that RSS only sends a summary or first bit of your post. If not, there is no reason to visit your blog--which is fine unless you are collecting stats. The other thing some say is that sending the whole post increases the likelihood of plagiarism and theft. Having both is good. Not redundant. Also having ways to share your content such as via social media is good. You do need to be careful not to get cluttery. That sucks. :sad: It's hard to know what to add and not add.

Jean,

No drawbacks. The WordPress Plugin works great.

#113 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

When the board went down, I got out of the habit of posting here. Wow, how quickly that happens.

I've been trying to talk to a new author every day regarding either how to promote their work or new ideas on how to promote mine.

I've helped a couple of people brainstorm on how to present their publishing services.

I've maintained my usual Facebook, Twitter

I actually (gasp) wrote on my blog a couple of times.

I've been trying to organize my promotion presentation for my local romance chapter. For me, it's easier to promote than explain how to.

And I have been checking out the sites you have all suggested here! Thanks for making my new thing a day easier by sharing.

I'm looking into how to get an organized chat online with my readers.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#114 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I can forward you the e-mail newsletter for my area if you're interested. I thought it might give you some ideas.

That would be awesome! Thanks. I'll PM my email address to you.

Jean,

No drawbacks. The WordPress Plugin works great.

Fantastic, thanks! When the time comes, I will have to check it out. I heard you can lose your list if you change from WordPress.com to .org or something like that, but I plan on having it on my own URL, so it shouldn't be an issue. (Is there a way to back-up your subscriber list?)

And I have been checking out the sites you have all suggested here! Thanks for making my new thing a day easier by sharing.

I'm looking into how to get an organized chat online with my readers.

It's been fun!

I like the idea of chatting with readers. Do you plan to talk to book clubs too?

#115 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

That would be awesome! Thanks. I'll PM my email address to you.

Fantastic, thanks! When the time comes, I will have to check it out. I heard you can lose your list if you change from WordPress.com to .org or something like that, but I plan on having it on my own URL, so it shouldn't be an issue. (Is there a way to back-up your subscriber list?)

It's been fun!

I like the idea of chatting with readers. Do you plan to talk to book clubs too?

Jean,

Mailchimp stores the mail lists on their servers and you can easily archive it to your local drive. There are no issues with switching your hosting.

#116 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

With skpe, you could do remote Q&A's with book clubs. That could be big fun and up the "feeling like a real writer" part without requiring a big financial or time investment. I think romance readers would love that.
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#117 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

This week I'm binging on contacting new authors who are similar to me and setting up cross promotional opportunities. One a day. That's what I'm counting as my new this week. One new author :)
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#118 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

Cool. Thanks, Paul.

My NEW yesterday was using Google Blog Search to find a few blogs to 'draft' off of when the time comes. I added it to my little book of ideas to use later as well as some topic ideas for my fledgling Facebook community. Not really doing anything 'out there' though. :sad:

#119 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

NEW for today:

Digging deep into server, blog, and analytical tools to see what is working and what isn't for getting attention to my sites. Next stop, workin' what I've learned. (I did learn something, right???)

Comes back a few minutes later... yes, I did. Just took me a moment for it to sink in and go boom.

#120 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,129 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

UPDATE:

It's all working!! Yesterday I got an email from a lady who is loving my site (her volunteers too!) and linking to it with their new website. As well, I have to up my bandwidth! Yes! As well, I am slowly gaining more FB fans. I had none a week ago and I think I have about 6 now. I will make this a community--I will!

NEW:

I'm going to hook up with Google Alerts again so I can 'listen' to where my site might be mentioned, and therefore reply, creating another level of engagement with my peeps. Off to do that now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users