#121 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

The biggest thing I've done this week is Set.A.Time.Limit. My list of things I want to do, can do, should be doing, etc. has become GINORMOUS and I realized this could suck my life away. I have not been sticking to 30 minutes per day. I do a lot of "ten minutes here, ten minutes there" and I realized I'm spending HOURS over the course of a day. So I've set aside 2 hours each afternoon to focus on marketing and writing stuff.

Yesterday & today:
-- the Blog Ring of Power launched it's first author interview (Cole Gibsen) and the requests are flying in - I could do nothing but author interviews full time it seems!
--I also volunteered to host a Broad Universe podcast - just as soon as they teach me how to do that. This is good because I not only am getting more involved in the association and making contacts, but I'm going to gain some technical skills that I've wanted for a very long time which I'll hopefully be able to put to use on my website
--added five new blogs to my list of blogs I follow/comment on; I've been meeting all kinds of people this way, finding out all kinds of interesting things, and having great conversations with people. I LOVE it when I comment on someone's blog and they either post a reply or email me to reply. Definately have learned this is a good practice, and now try to do that on my blog/website. It definately builds connections and goodwill.
--found a couple of fantasy and chick lit book review sites that I bookmarked for future reference (to send review copies to, should my book ever see the light of day)

--Terri

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#122 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:19 AM

Terri: very cool on the Broad Universe Podcast. :smile:

For me: NEW today:

Downloaded and learned how to use the app "Little Photo" for my phone. Why? So when I tweet pictures I've taken on the go of kids activities I can 'brand' them with my site's URL (www.itsallkidsplay.ca). Because when I tweet them, they don't have anything like that on them and then I usually pin it to Pinterest and there is no credit coming back to me or my site--especially after it gets repinned. So, if I tack my site's URL on it the photo can go anywhere--in fact, I'd love it to when it's got my URL on it! :biggrin:

Have a good weekend, guys!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#123 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

That's so cool, Jean. A really great idea.

I have a question for my fellow self-published writers. Do you get a fresh opportunity to market with each book that comes out? Or is it positively or negatively impacted by how your previous book did. I know having multiple books available helps, I'm just wondering which one to put my best effort into. I'm still learning how the publishing end goes between when I submit my book and when it appears.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#124 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

I keep directing new authors to this thread because you guys are sharing so many great ideas. I don't have time to look into all of them at once, but you know me -- one a day.

I've dabbled with Pinterest now and I seem to be having a good response to it.

Contacting one new author a day is so much fun! Who knows if it is helpful, but I'm getting the biggest kick and inspiration from it. I'm either picking really well, or I'm just lucky, because the women I've written to are amazingly welcoming to the contact and excited to work with me on promotional ideas. And often, they are making more money than me :)

My sales were on a slow decline, but had a sudden jump this week. It could be unrelated to what I'm doing right now, but who knows.

I ordered new promo pens from ink spot.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#125 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

That's fantastic, Ruth.

I love promo items. I have a whole list of them in my head for if I publish. I mean, when I do.

NEW:

I'm prepping to host a writer friend (TK Richardson--an AQCer) on my blog as part of her blog tour. (She will be on my blog for her new book on March 6th and sharing some fabulous Russian history with my readers.) I haven't been part of an official blog tour before, so it should be interesting.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#126 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Reached my target of 2000 twitter followers today. Now will start networking with sites promoting travel to the Greek Islands (as that is where my novel is based). I'm planning on having the book for sale in the next 90 days but don't want to promote too heavily until readers can actually buy it. I'm considering this prep work.

Like Terri, I'm trying to manage my time - self-promoting can eat up your whole day EASILY.

#127 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Robin,
I've noticed that at the very beginning is where I get the most hits for my books. I can change covers or comments about what the book is about and that doesn't increase my level of page views. You certainly know that you must put your best efforts into anything you'll publish. One thing I have noticed is the number of views of my website. It seems before the sales happen, they check out what has been written about my series and then purchase. So there is a direct correlation between web page views and book hits And every time I add a book, which is now 4, I get new hits on my other books.
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#128 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

I know our one month together is coming to an end...is there any interest in keeping this thread going? I know I for one am finding it immensely helpful and would love to continue. The accountability piece is definately keeping me motivated to squeeze something in on days when I feel like I have so much other stuff on my plate.

On Friday for some inexplicable reason I had a big jump in unique visitors to my site, up to 109 over the usual 60-80 per day. No idea why, I didn't post anything new on Thursday or Friday. But my unique visitors has been climbing all month and I'm up to 530-something (I forget the exact number) for the month, compared to 336 in January. So something is working and paying off. Am definately getting some traffic from the other sites in the blog ring I joined as well, which is exciting.

Friday I put the finishing touches on two guest blogs for a fellow AQCers website, updated the stats in my spreadsheet tracking which blogs I comment on that also have traffic coming to my site.

This weekend I made some tweaks to the website - while not technically marketing, enhanced user functionality is always a good thing :-)

Spent some time thinking thoughts with my brain, and then my brain hurt. I have two very different novels - one is sci fi/psychological suspense, one is fantasy/chick lit. I realized that the "tangental" marketing I'm doing for one I could be doing for the other - i.e. HEREAFTER is about the afterlife and so I can cross promote via mythology, ghosts, etc. SAY IT THREE TIMES has to do wtih psychology, truth, and identity. Am trying to figure out how to blog about both topics without making my website schizophrenic...I suppose on Mondays I could talk about life after death and Thursdays identity and perception. Something like that. Still thinking thoughts of how to not make myself crazy and manage basically two complete marketing campaigns in a finite amount of time. Any thoughts on this greatly appreciated. I know they general advice is for writers to stick to one genre but I don't and that's just the way it's gonna be.

Jean, the photo apps sounds insanely cool - have that on my to do list to learn more about now. How do you find out about all these cool apps????? You say you aren't good with the tech, but I think you are definately becoming our tech guru!

--Terri

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy

#129 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:29 PM

Reached my target of 2000 twitter followers today. Now will start networking with sites promoting travel to the Greek Islands (as that is where my novel is based). I'm planning on having the book for sale in the next 90 days but don't want to promote too heavily until readers can actually buy it. I'm considering this prep work.

Like Terri, I'm trying to manage my time - self-promoting can eat up your whole day EASILY.

So Paul what's the latest on the book? Are you giving up querying after all? Are you self-publishing or did you find an indie publisher? Details, Man! Details!

#130 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

addendum - I just pasted 610 unique visitors this month as I had another big bump yesterday. Three more days in the month - I might actually be able to double my visitors this month over last month. Wow!

#131 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

addendum - I just pasted 610 unique visitors this month as I had another big bump yesterday. Three more days in the month - I might actually be able to double my visitors this month over last month. Wow!

Wow that is super impressive! Do you think it has to do the with the ring thing you were talking about?

#132 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Once a day is rough for me to continue, but I could probably continue once a week. It's up to you guys. It IS motivational and the sharing is very helpful.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#133 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

Jean, the photo apps sounds insanely cool - have that on my to do list to learn more about now. How do you find out about all these cool apps?????

Good question! That one I looked for in the Android market and then Googled for a "text and photo app" or something like that because I knew what I needed, I just couldn't figure out which one would work based on the 'market.' As for the other stuff, I guess the books, blogs and Google searches I've been doing help me find stuff. It seems one thing leads to another.

Kudos on the increase in blog visitors! That's awesome. The other day we had 15 visitors in this thread at once! So, I bet there are a few folks from here reading your posts and wanting to check it out!

This group has for sure kept me accountable and challenged. Love that! I do need to spend time overhauling my www.itsallkidsplay.ca site now though and need to use this time to do that. Once I have that up I will need to do this month all over again!!!! Apply what I've learned and go for broke. ;) Maybe we could take March off (March? How did that sneak up on me!) and do it in April or part way through March? Or maybe just keep going? I will need to duck out for 2-3 weeks though is my guess.

#134 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

NEW:

Today I tried that "drafting" method I mentioned a few weeks ago. Basically, I took today's blog post on social media for writers and using Ruth's 24 hour Google search method (thanks Ruth!), I pulled a "Terri." :happy: I found a bunch of blogs (about 5 or so) that were dealing with the topic I had blogged about (Social media--website stat tools, etc.) and commented on their posts and mentioned in an off-hand way that I had been blogging about something similar and wasn't it amazing how much there was to learn? (etc.) I tried to keep it genuine, conversational, and complimentary, and always linked to the blog post or blog series in the 'website' bit on the page.

We'll see (using my handy web tools) whether this helps drive traffic to me. The biggest issue I had was comment boxes not popping up!! or the post simply disappearing without telling me it was awaiting moderation. So was it, or did it vanish? Twice I reposted to find the same thing. Taught me a lesson on checking to make sure my own commenting on my blog works!!!

#135 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Alas, I, too, need to do a redesign. I want to move to a three column format on my main page so that I can have three simultaneous "top" news stories on different topics (one for my sci fi, one for my fantasy, one for other news like author interviews, etc.). ::sigh:: stupid webmastering stuff...LOL!

I keep meaning to post this - my favorite website of all is http://www.go2web20.net/ - every web 2.0 tool and gadget you could ever imagine. Things like tweetdeck and pin interest and then a million billion other things you never knew you needed. I keep meaning to dive in and check out every sincle thing they have listed but just never have the time.

#136 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

My goodness. I've never heard of about 90% of those! I read somewhere that you only want to have a couple of the top used (by your audience) social media buttons as otherwise it gets too cluttery. I'm not impressed with all the buttons I have at the bottom of my post at the moment--need to work on those!

Caterina, I meant to mention--I love the graphic in your post footer. Very cool and eye-catching! I saw it was on your book cover too. Way to brand, girl!

#137 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

NEW for today:

I put an RSS feed of my external blog http://jeanoram.com into the local blog listing here on AQC so a summary and link to my blog appears in the blog list on the AQC main page. I am hoping that will help drive traffic to my blog when I have topics that intrigue folks. If you like this idea and need help doing this, let me know. (Create a local blog on here and add an RSS feed from your external blog.)

#138 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

NEW for today:

I put an RSS feed of my external blog http://jeanoram.com into the local blog listing here on AQC so a summary and link to my blog appears in the blog list on the AQC main page. I am hoping that will help drive traffic to my blog when I have topics that intrigue folks. If you like this idea and need help doing this, let me know. (Create a local blog on here and add an RSS feed from your external blog.)

HELP! I have an RSS feed for my blog through feedburner (and possibly through Joomla's internal RSS feed, I'm not really sure - the plugin is there and it says it's on but I have no idea how to get the link for the feed from it). And I set up a blog on AQC. But how do I link the two?

#139 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Today I've started a new task in preparation for my launch. Every day, I will find one goodreads member whose profile looks like they might enjoy my book. I will invite that member to become my friend. I have an invite message that explains why I chose them and points to my website and twitter feed.

#140 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

today the biggest thing was to fix a bug in my website that was making my right hand modules float OVER the main text, thereby obliterating it. All fixed! Yay me!

I also checked my status at webfictionguide.com - I had submitted the link to the serialization of SAY IT THREE TIMES to them some time ago and it's been hanging out awaiting editor approval for some time. I hadn't checked in a while and then today I see that it was "rejected" with a note that only three pages had been posted and it was over a month since last update. I emailed them to point out they were wrong on both accounts (chapters come out every monday) and there are over 90 MS Word pages posted to date. So hopefully it will get approved this time.

I also found this list of review sites, which I bookmarked for later use. Hopefully, some of you will find it useful: http://www.karinafab...=Content&pid=28http://www.karinafab...=Content&pid=28

Oh, and I scheduled 3 more author interviews for the BRoP

And I sent a fellow writer & blogger two guest posts.

Oh...so I sort of did a lot today, though it didn't feel like that. Cool!

--Terri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users