KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

I simply must inquire, but, could ANYONE give me a little list of fantasy or epic fantasy agents?

Not that I don't have my own list, I have a list of over 70 agents and 50 of them I have queried (a lot of them, twice). I just need to add to them! I feel like I am running out of people to query! Any EF agented authors out there who can give me some tips on querying these agents? Apparently I am really missing something! I just don't know what!
Shadow's Dawn (EF) -- Querying/ Editing

Morning Darkness (EF) -- WIP

Evening Light and untitled fourth book (EF) -- Outlining/Planning

#2 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Carakasla

First, welcome to Agent Query Connect.

As far as agents, one of the best sites to go to is www.agentquery.com which is like the parent site of this site. There you can select the genre you want and it will give you a list. It might not list every agent available but that's partly because they are selective in the ones that they do list.

As far as what you might be doing wrong, it could be something as simple as your query letter needs work. If you go to the forums on this site, there is a forum for query critiques. It tells you all about how to write the best query possible and you can even post your query for others to take a look at and give their feedback. There is also a forum with examples of successful queries that got requests for full manuscripts and got agents.

there are several resources to check out on this site. It could be you just need to work on the query which is the first thing the agent sees and we all know first impressions are very important.

good luck,
Angela
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#3 WritesToEscapeReality

WritesToEscapeReality

A_D_Solano

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

also, you might want to research different agencies in general. Go to their websites and read the bios on each of their agents. They always list what they represent. Another thing, look at some of the published books in your genre. Many of them thank their agent in their dedication page. Just some other ideas. I don't have a list to share, I write for Middle Grade and Young Adult, but those are some of the ways I built my list of agents. My list so far has 78 who represent Middle Grade that I am interested in and 93 that represent Young Adult.
I'm Angela. I'm a mom, wife, nurse, chauffeur and aspiring writer. I hope to add published to the list one day.

#4 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:02 AM

I haven't checked out Agentquery yet but I am part of Querytracker. On that site, I know they have 110 Fantasy agents listed and I am getting far to close to that number.

I have already utilized this forum. I put up my query for critiquing and I checked out the successful queries (none seemed to be for Fantasy, least of all Epic). I am in the slow process of working on that query. That's hard because it seems like I NEVER get it right.

I write for a newer demographic called New Adult, which typically has characters befween 18-25 and it doesn't really seem to have speculative fiction books (as far as I have researched) yet. Maybe I'll be a trailblazer! :laugh: Or not.

Oh, you are preaching to the choir about researching. I am the queen of research.

#5 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

My method was to use Agent Query and search for agents who rep fantasy. Then I went to their websites and researched to see if they had any limitations on sub genre. That also gave me a chance to get their submission guidelines. That gave me a list. But I recommend not keeping that list more than a couple of months. Agents move all the time and some open or close to queries at various times. It takes some work, but it is well worth it.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#6 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and have my first novel coming out in Sept. 2014

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

Author acknowledgements are a great place to find agents too. Look at some epic fantasy books to see if the authors say who reps them. Sometimes agents that I didn't think represented a genre turn out to do so. Especially the ones that are vague when you ask them what they are looking for.

#7 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

I am starting to think trends are wholy not in my favor at this particular moment.

#8 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

I am starting to think trends are wholy not in my favor at this particular moment.

Then create the damn trend. Write a damn good book, a killer query, and start the hunt for what's left of your agent list. I know, I know, easier said than done, but despair doesn't lead you anywhere. :sad:
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#9 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

I just read an article that indicates it might be a good time for my fantasy stories. Both series feature strong female lead characters. So does the novella I'm currently working on.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#10 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Then create the damn trend. Write a damn good book, a killer query, and start the hunt for what's left of your agent list. I know, I know, easier said than done, but despair doesn't lead you anywhere. :sad:

I'm trying to start the damn trend! I keep telling everyone that dragons are the next big thing but no one will listen to me! Eragon is finished and Firelight didn't really fill the void. Heck, look at Skyrim!

The people want dragons, but the publishing industry isn't listening!

#11 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hey, you're Leo.You're supposed to be a fighter. I'm stubborn Aries who likes bossing around... :tongue: That's why I tell you to create the damn trend. Just think about everything that makes your story something new, and put those information in the query.
Okay, this talk about Horoscope totally didn't make sense...
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#12 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

I'm all for more dragons. Be the trend setter. The next book in my one fantasy series is called King of Dragons. I haven't written it yet because (other than not having the time yet) I need to figure out how the dragons are going to interact to fight a regular fantasy army and how they can be beaten (probably with magic). And just talking about it is filling my head with ideas. Not quite clear enough to write them down just yet.

Anyway, I'm going down the dragon path and I'm going to self-publish.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#13 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and have my first novel coming out in Sept. 2014

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'd love it if dragons came back in!

#14 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hey, you're Leo.You're supposed to be a fighter. I'm stubborn Aries who likes bossing around... :tongue: That's why I tell you to create the damn trend. Just think about everything that makes your story something new, and put those information in the query.
Okay, this talk about Horoscope totally didn't make sense...

Especially since I'm a Virgo. :tongue: I don't use the new 13th Astrological sign.

I try to be very unique with my dragons. The main characters are actually dragon hybrids (human/dragon) and the sort of full dragon in the story who is a main character isn't reptilian, he's more like a dinosaur or a bird. He's covered in feathers! Well...not at first.... I actually based him off of a Velociraptor (not the Jurassic Park kind), only made him big, with a longer head and neck, and wings.

Then the three main characters who are half dragons, their dragon types are actually mammalian. One of them (Shadow Dragons) are small--about the size of a horse, to the shoulder. They are actually far longer from nose to tail--and live in packs with a female leader.

Not to say there aren't any traditional, reptitlian dragons. There are several that are like that and one that actually follows the traditional mould to a tee (Red Dragons).

Yeah, I put a lot of thought into my dragons--both the hybrids and the full breeds. I could probably write an entire psudo-encyclopedia on them after the series is finish.

#15 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Especially since I'm a Virgo. :tongue: I don't use the new 13th Astrological sign.

I try to be very unique with my dragons. The main characters are actually dragon hybrids (human/dragon) and the sort of full dragon in the story who is a main character isn't reptilian, he's more like a dinosaur or a bird. He's covered in feathers! Well...not at first.... I actually based him off of a Velociraptor (not the Jurassic Park kind), only made him big, with a longer head and neck, and wings.

Then the three main characters who are half dragons, their dragon types are actually mammalian. One of them (Shadow Dragons) are small--about the size of a horse, to the shoulder. They are actually far longer from nose to tail--and live in packs with a female leader.

Not to say there aren't any traditional, reptitlian dragons. There are several that are like that and one that actually follows the traditional mould to a tee (Red Dragons).

Yeah, I put a lot of thought into my dragons--both the hybrids and the full breeds. I could probably write an entire psudo-encyclopedia on them after the series is finish.

LOL, okay, but I have to ask (because I'm dying to know) - how do humans and dragons breed (together), because that sounds like a rough night of lovin' to me! :biggrin:

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#16 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Magic.

Naw, but honestly, it's because dragons can shapeshift. :tongue: It use to be a survival mechanism, because they were hunted by elves and humans but then a bunch of shapeshifted dragons had babies with humans and elves, which gave rise to the half dragons. Half dragons and dragons actually got along, half dragons became the strongest race, they got rid of dragon hunting, so the shapeshifting gene wasn't needed, but it never really went away, so some dragons can still shape shift.

The only 'people' this doesn't apply too are the Time Gods (who are all half dragons). They came to fruitition through a more spiritual way ;).

Hey, I actually did think of these things!

#17 Naida Rin West

Naida Rin West

Author Fledgling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I had a poem about leprechauns published in "Young Readers of America" when I was nine. :)

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

Carakasla, I fear we share a brain. Except that in my story the full dragons consider the halves a disgrace and the dragons were eventually exiled to an island due to the human invention of the catapult....

But shape shifting to go into hiding. ABSOLUTELY!
Let's make this trend!

"Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen." - Willa Cather

Please critique my query!

Please critique my synopsis!

#18 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:58 AM

Nah, in mine, the dragons and half dragons consider each other 'cousins' or even 'brothers and sisters'. Some dragons wont even take on riders (or as they are called in the book, 'Airwomen/men') who aren't half dragon. Dragonsblood is thicker than water!

Looks like we went in different directions! May we bring dragons into mainstream and not compete against each other. Or be compared to Eragon. :tongue:

Oh, and just call me 'Cara' :wink:

#19 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

Especially since I'm a Virgo. :tongue:

Oops, I've just read 'August' on your profile. :blush: Haven't paid much attention to dates.

Follow me on Twitter

#20 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

I could probably write an entire psudo-encyclopedia on them after the series is finish.

Hehe, you too? Alhough I don't write about dragons, sometimes I feel like details about my race--four of them, with all the subraces, can make a new book. Every day something new pops up in my head.

Follow me on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users