#1 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Proud indie author =)

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

I've looked around forever and I finally found the cover I like. Its not perfect but it works.

I just hope it doesn't look amauetrish lol.

Rules are meant to be broken.

#2 Ivette Starlette

Ivette Starlette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

I don't think it looks amateurish. Without knowing anything about your book, I get a female mc that is really struggling. The one thing I also get that I don't know if you were going for is a bit of a graphic novel feel - but I think that has a lot of ya appeal. Overall I give it a B.

#3 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

I really like it! I think the graphic is bold enough to catch a reader's attention, and it's also still clear and legible at this size. The only thing I might tweak is the white band. The white blends in with her glove so at thumbnail size the glove sort of looks like a splatter. Also, most sites have a white background, so just like it's doing here, the band sort of blends into the white from the site. This can easily be fixed by just putting a border around the white band, or changing the color of the band.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#4 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I have to agree with Cali, the white glove and the white band clash. But it looks awesome none the less!

#5 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks guys! I have a new cover but the uploader is making it super difficult!!

#6 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Breone, make sure the file size isn't too big. You'll likely need to resize it in order to post, esp. if you've been working in high res.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#7 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks C. Taylor!! The new cover is up!!

#8 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

I was wondering because everyone's talking about a woman in need and a white glove and I'm like "???? What on earth are they looking at?!"

I LOVE this (new) cover! I think it's gorgeous and I definately get spooky/horror from this. I would totally pick this up to look at the back cover for more info.!

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#9 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Great cover!

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#10 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Tbruce and JoeyF : ) I'm not a Photoshop pr but I think I'm getting close haha.

#11 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available through Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I really like the new cover! It caught my eye immediately. The font stands out really well, even as a thumbnail. Nice work!
Thumbnail2_zps36e993fa.jpg
Now available!

Web Site
Twitter
Facebook

#12 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I really like the new cover! It caught my eye immediately. The font stands out really well, even as a thumbnail. Nice work!

#13 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:25 PM

I need some serious help once again. Can't decide which cover to go with: A) With the model's face obscured or B) Showing the model's face. Also the title is forever changing. Can't tell if Dark Spell sounds better than Dark Promise or if they both just Suck. The book is part of a YA duology contemp. fantasy series sort of close to Hex Hall, Bloodlines, those sort of books that take place primarily at a magic boarding school.

[removed]

#14 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

I prefer the full body, but as cool as the 3d cover is, it really cuts down on visibility when in a thumbnail, so I'd probably recommend go with a "standard" 2d cover.  As for the title, if it's a fantasy series, then I like Dark Spell.  However, I'd also rethink the image of the cover and font choice, since they don't really say fantasy or dark.  Right now, I'd think readers would expect a YA romance. I'd pick a font that says dark fantasy, and mayb add some brushes/effects/layers.  Hope this helps!

Cali MacKay

FREE

#15 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

Thanks, C. I'm such a dufus when it comes to brushes/effects. I'm still on the learning curve trying  to keep up. Thank goodness for Youtube.

#16 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:58 PM

Tell me about it! lol.  There's just so much to learn with photoshop.  I feel like I use about 5% of what the program's capable of. lol.

I don't think you need a ton of brushes, but maybe to give it a smokey effect, sparkly magic effect, etc.  You could even use another image and just blend the two.

Cali MacKay

FREE

#17 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm back at it again, C. I think I like this a lot better without the model to avoid debates about what the MC looks when the book is published.

Attached Files

#18 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Even though it says "dark spell", in a thumbnail I see a pretty pool of water. lol.  Still doesn't feel like fantasy.  And though you don't need the model, I think it helps, though you could certainly cut her off so there's no head. 

Here's one I did for a YA apocolypse story.  http://www.amazon.co...781638&sr=1-5   You can see that the background gives a def. feel of the story and genre.  And the model is "vague" enough to fit nearly any description.

There's a ton of stock that you can pick up for about $4 a pop, and could give you all sorts of options that better call to your genre.  Same with the font.  Not sure what you're story's about but here are some search examples and their results... 

http://www.bigstockp...asy-background/

http://www.bigstockp...kground-forest/

http://www.bigstockp...ins-background/

Have you looked at amanda hockings covers once she got picked up by a pub?  THOSE say YA fantasy to me.  Especially the Tryll series.  http://www.amazon.co...=amanda hocking

Cali MacKay

FREE

#19 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thanks again for the help, I'm taking all I can get at this point.. I've been mostly trying to avoid paying for stock photos but it looks like it's time to give in lol.

#20 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,241 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

For the $4 it will cost per image, you are far better off just biting the bullet and going for it. You'll have the images you need to make a cover that will help your book standout. 

Cali MacKay

FREE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users