Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

What is the difference between an editor and a proofreader?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

My editor's website talks about professional proofreading services. Is that the same thing as editing?

(Wow I sound like such a noob)

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

Editing is a very broad word and can include many things, of which proofreading is the most basic. Proofreading means catching typos, punctuation or grammar errors, etc. If your characters are flat, the proofreader doesn't care. If your dialogue is wooden, ditto. If your plot as a whole is impossible to follow, the proofreader couldn't care less. All a proofreader does is make sure the copy follows the rules of English.

At the more involved end of the editing scale is substantial or structural editing. That's where the editor *does* care about whether the characterization works, whether the pace is right, etc., and will make comments on such where there are problems.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#3 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Wow, that makes ten times more sense. Thanks RC! I went with what she called 'copyediting' and it included the structural editing. But the word 'proofread' threw me off.

#4 Leonardo Wild

Leonardo Wild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Over 200 articles for the Environment and Science pages of the Sunday magazine of the Diario La Hora, as well as for its cultural magazine. Also publications on cultural issues, literature and social themes for the following magazines: Eskeletra, Ciudad Alternativa, Diners, Gestión, Estudios Ecuatorianos, AsíES, ArtES, Finnis Terrae (Spain).

Scripts, Screenplays: Altogether 41 produced scripts, of which 2 became feature-length documentaries, 1 a medium-length documentary, and the other became TV spots, short institutional videos for various industries.

Books: 7 novels and 2 non-fiction books, with a 3rd one about to be published in Ecuador. A US publisher is currently reading the English version. Published with Ecuadorian and German publishing houses: C. Bertelsmann (part of the Random House Group), Omnibus Verlag (Bertelsmann) - Fischer Tanschenbuchverlag, Carlsen Verlag, Beltz & Geldberg - Libresa, Planeta Ecuador, Alfaguara, SINAB, CGVG Graf News, MayorBooks Ecuador.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Rather than just the most basic, it is the final step. A proofreader reads the proofs of galley copies. As RC Lewis explained, the typos, word-usage consistencies, punctuation, widows, orphans, and such. Basically, the text is supposed to be in the final and last stage just before going to the printer. It is even formatted just as it will be seen in book form. So the proofreader must make sure that any changes done during the setting and designing of the text and graphics are as they should be. Usually, a writer can get to see the galley copies and proofread them, those will go back to formatting, and then they go to the in-house or freelance proofreader. Basically, you can say that it is the proofreaders fault if any word has been misspelled, commas placed wrongly, etc. Some mistakes will be there that neither the writer nor the editor nor the style editor have made, as during the design and page setting, fiddling with the text to make it fit on the page could have caused such an issue. Hope this helps, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users