#21 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Oh ok. I'm going to have to look into that. I'm not really sure how to fix the tabs and make then first-line indents.

Cat,

If it's in Word, delete all tabs with search and replace (all ^t with nothing) Then edit the normal style (if that's what you used for the body text) to have a First Line indent of about 0.25".

#22 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm looking forward to finally taking the time to read it myself. :blush: Snippets have scrolled past my eyes dozens of times as I did the formatting, but I haven't read any stories all the way through yet (except BBC's, which I gave her feedback on before she submitted).

Oh, and Robin, what file format did you look at it on, just for the record? Thanks. :smile:

Epub in Adobe Digital Editions, same format I'll be reading it it, but on a Nook.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#23 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

I created an epub version of The Kewpie Killer using Sigil. Sigil verified the epub format and I used the final file to upload to Amazon KDP. Then, I uploaded the same file to Smashwords only to have the autovetter balk that the copyright page was not up to their standard.

I modified the copyright page to match Smashwords requirements and once again the autovetter made the same complaint. Of course I fiddled with the file and resubmitted it 4 or 5 times before I gave up.

Since  the emails I received from Smashwords after each attempt reported that "We have run EPUBcheck on your file, and it has passed!" I wrote to customer service.

Their reply was "It looks like a glitch.  The vetters can override the error."

Now, I'm waiting for the "vetters".

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#24 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Mark, sounds like their uploader didn't like the epub file. I think I'll stick with their method of formatting for doc files.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#25 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publications of The Kewpie Killer, Life's a Beach Then You Die, Payback's a Beach

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

Robin,

The odd thing was Smashwords sent me an email that said, "We have run EPUBcheck on your file, and it has passed!"

I wonder if the problem was simply a matter of their autovetter being unable to clear the initial error I made. I wonder if I still would have had this problem if had included the correct copyright language the first time.

I'm not familiar with Smashwords' Word formatting requirements and find Sigil easy to use. Sigil seems to suit Amazon KDP fine so I might give it one more try before switching to Word.

Mark

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer
Paper or plastic digital 51nLuiQDVjL._SL110_.jpg51ZiyrardhL._SL110_.jpg51IDRMxZ2EL._SL110_.jpg51Bjjx6HDYL._SL110_.jpg

#26 Mark Friedlander

Mark Friedlander

AQ.Leverage Refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

Well, I finally learned my lesson. After tweaking and resubmitting my Kindle ready epub file more times than I'll admit to, I gave up and created a simple Word document. The Smashwords Meatgrinder was happy to accept it.

Falafel Jones.net
Kewpie Killer

#27 Harneet Bajwa

Harneet Bajwa

H.S. Bajwa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationPacific Islands
  • Publishing Experience:Self published. eBook available on Amazon kindle, Ibooks, Barnes & Noble, Kobo etc.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

The epub creator Jutoh is an excellent software to create files ready for smash words or Kindle.
I wrote my book in Apple's Pages software and then formatted in open office and created pubs using Jutoh. Best $40 dollars I've spent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users