Disclaimer

Photo

Twitter - How to Choose a Name and How to Start?What do I need to know before getting started?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hey all!

I'm thinking of jumping into Twitter and I'm clueless. Any tips on choosing a name (I don't even know what to call the thingies) or how often to tweet or best people to follow for YA writing info?

Thanks in advance!
Alisha

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've had several short stories published with online magazines within the last two years. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

First of all, use your real name or if you've got a pen name use that. Especially if you're looking to get published. People need to find you easily and having something cute as your name like @lovestowriteya doesn't sound very professional.

At any rate, here's a link to some sound advice.

http://michaelhyatt....to-twitter.html

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg

demonthumbnail.jpg

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,248 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Here's a link to some more advice, from our very own lovely C. Taylor. :wink:
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#4 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thank you, Darke and RC Lewis! I read both and am ready to get started. Thanks again!

#5 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi AMK,

To get started, there's a list of AQC twitter addresses here.

http://agentquerycon...h__1#entry68040

#6 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Ooo, thanks! I was just about to search the forums for this. Thank you, Paul!

#7 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Other than a handful of poems back in my college days, my publication credits consist of my non-fiction. Some newspapers, some small magazines, some blogs. (My own, and that of others.) I also write a regular advice column for actors on a DC based website.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

I am late to the party, but my one piece of advise remains...even as you are professional, always be yourself. You don't have to do a lot of pretending. Twitter I find works best for people who are authentic, as opposed to trying to sound, better/smarter/richer/wittier than they really are. I'm on there, feel free to follow!
Flowers for Dionysus

Currently in its third draft, this novel is the story of a disillusioned community theatre actor who slowly begins to find inspiration again as he rehearses what he plans to be his final show amidst a series of seemingly supernatural events in and around the local playhouse.

#8 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I am late to the party, but my one piece of advise remains...even as you are professional, always be yourself. You don't have to do a lot of pretending. Twitter I find works best for people who are authentic, as opposed to trying to sound, better/smarter/richer/wittier than they really are. I'm on there, feel free to follow!

Uhm, I would, but I what's your username? I can't find the link on your profile.
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#9 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Other than a handful of poems back in my college days, my publication credits consist of my non-fiction. Some newspapers, some small magazines, some blogs. (My own, and that of others.) I also write a regular advice column for actors on a DC based website.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Sorry, I did forget to mention I am @TyUnglebower.
Flowers for Dionysus

Currently in its third draft, this novel is the story of a disillusioned community theatre actor who slowly begins to find inspiration again as he rehearses what he plans to be his final show amidst a series of seemingly supernatural events in and around the local playhouse.

#10 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm enjoying it already. My username is @AlishaKlapheke if anyone wishes to follow. I do follow back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users