Disclaimer

Photo

Twitter - How to Choose a Name and How to Start?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Hey all!

I'm thinking of jumping into Twitter and I'm clueless. Any tips on choosing a name (I don't even know what to call the thingies) or how often to tweet or best people to follow for YA writing info?

Thanks in advance!
Alisha

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,146 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and this year had one published in the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

First of all, use your real name or if you've got a pen name use that. Especially if you're looking to get published. People need to find you easily and having something cute as your name like @lovestowriteya doesn't sound very professional.

At any rate, here's a link to some sound advice.

http://michaelhyatt....to-twitter.html

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg

demonthumbnail.jpg

#3 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,361 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:02 PM

Here's a link to some more advice, from our very own lovely C. Taylor. :wink:
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#4 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

Thank you, Darke and RC Lewis! I read both and am ready to get started. Thanks again!

#5 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Hi AMK,

To get started, there's a list of AQC twitter addresses here.

http://agentquerycon...h__1#entry68040

#6 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

Ooo, thanks! I was just about to search the forums for this. Thank you, Paul!

#7 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over the years non-fiction work published in several regional newspaper and magazines. I have recently self-published a collection of ten short stories set in a community theatre.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

I am late to the party, but my one piece of advise remains...even as you are professional, always be yourself. You don't have to do a lot of pretending. Twitter I find works best for people who are authentic, as opposed to trying to sound, better/smarter/richer/wittier than they really are. I'm on there, feel free to follow!

My short story collection, Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater is now available for 99 cents on Kindle, Apple devices and from Smashwords

The Little Dionysus Playhouse is a different place every day. Sure, its house, green room, lobby, and odd hallway may all look the same day in and day out, but the various people who call the community playhouse home bring different plans, visions, fears and follies into it as soon as they enter. So each day, to each person, it’s somewhere new. In the middle of all of that, art emerges. Eventually. The ten stories in Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater explore both the drama and the comedy that takes place inside a community playhouse on and off the stage.

#8 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I am late to the party, but my one piece of advise remains...even as you are professional, always be yourself. You don't have to do a lot of pretending. Twitter I find works best for people who are authentic, as opposed to trying to sound, better/smarter/richer/wittier than they really are. I'm on there, feel free to follow!

Uhm, I would, but I what's your username? I can't find the link on your profile.
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#9 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over the years non-fiction work published in several regional newspaper and magazines. I have recently self-published a collection of ten short stories set in a community theatre.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Sorry, I did forget to mention I am @TyUnglebower.

My short story collection, Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater is now available for 99 cents on Kindle, Apple devices and from Smashwords

The Little Dionysus Playhouse is a different place every day. Sure, its house, green room, lobby, and odd hallway may all look the same day in and day out, but the various people who call the community playhouse home bring different plans, visions, fears and follies into it as soon as they enter. So each day, to each person, it’s somewhere new. In the middle of all of that, art emerges. Eventually. The ten stories in Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater explore both the drama and the comedy that takes place inside a community playhouse on and off the stage.

#10 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm enjoying it already. My username is @AlishaKlapheke if anyone wishes to follow. I do follow back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users