#21 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Ruth, just ran across this blog post and thought of you: http://danieljfriedm...-published.html

Kudos, girl!

I sort of agree with one of the comments left on the post-- How many traditionally published books actually sell over 100K copies? It's certainly not the majority. In addition, the author of the post keeps using .99 as the price which he's basing his math on, and truth is, most ebooks are priced higher than that. At 2.99 per copy (a popular price point for ebooks), the author gets about $2 for each book sold, not the .35 he keeps mentioning.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#22 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Should clarify, Cali. Your points were my points. :happy:

What many writers/readers don't understand is that only a small percentage of books (traditionally or otherwise) hit it big. The vast majority of novels languish in mid-list range or lower. Many never reach the kind of sales that Ruth has already realized. I am constantly reminded of this when I attend writer's conferences or read blogs of traditionally published authors who make a living writing, have sold ten, twenty or thirty different titles and yet I've never heard of them.

No matter how much I love writing and plan to make a career out of it (sheesh, I'm busting my butt trying to do so), I think it helps to keep in mind that not every published author is a household name and not every published novel makes enough back in royalties to support said author, let alone have theme parks built after them. In a strange way, it gives me hope.

And so, I was giving Ruth a huge back pat.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#23 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Cat, I got that it was a huge pat. : )

I just thought that his points were a bit skewed. Like you said, there are so many traditionally published authors that don't make enough to live on-- even with several titles under their belt-- and obviously, the same can be said for self pub'd authors. Like Ruthie's proven-- as well as other AQ'ers who've gotten great traditional deals-- there's more than way to be successful with publishing these days. And yes, like you, it gives me hope!! : )

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#24 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

Should clarify, Cali. Your points were my points. :happy:

What many writers/readers don't understand is that only a small percentage of books (traditionally or otherwise) hit it big. The vast majority of novels languish in mid-list range or lower. Many never reach the kind of sales that Ruth has already realized. I am constantly reminded of this when I attend writer's conferences or read blogs of traditionally published authors who make a living writing, have sold ten, twenty or thirty different titles and yet I've never heard of them.

No matter how much I love writing and plan to make a career out of it (sheesh, I'm busting my butt trying to do so), I think it helps to keep in mind that not every published author is a household name and not every published novel makes enough back in royalties to support said author, let alone have theme parks built after them. In a strange way, it gives me hope.

And so, I was giving Ruth a huge back pat.

Absolutely! I was trying to make this point on another thread, but you made it much more eloquently! I'm constantly discovering new authors that have been around for ages (heck, I only recently discovered Georgette Heyer and she is/was rather a big deal in the romance genre). Ruth's accomplishment defies words, I think - it's mind-numbingly huge for ANY author to accomplish what she has and to have done it on her own, without a big six marketing budget is....searching for a word big enough....failing to find a word big enough...::finishes lamely:: amazing.

Go Ruth go!!!

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#25 RuthCardello

RuthCardello

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:That's Love (short story), The Cup of Comfort for Horse Lovers
    I've also had various horse related articles published in Paso Fino national magazines.

Self-pubbed.
    Maid for the Billionaire
    For Love or Legacy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Cat. I really appreciate all of the support I've gotten here.

I checked out the article and found it a little of a simplistic view of the self-pubbing market. There are so many variables that go into getting and staying visible. That's why being part of a community like this one is so important -- we've got to stay informed.
Ruth Cardello
Maid for the Billionaire
For Love or Legacy
www.ruthcardello.com
FB: Author Ruth Cardello
@[twitter]RuthieCardello
[/twitter]

#26 Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts