#1 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost nonexistent. Available now from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

What do you want?

I'm going to finish off the 1st pass of the revision by the end of the first week of March.

I want second pass done by mid-March, and then get it in the hands of my betas and critters.

And I want to read something for RC Lewis.

And (out of my control) I'd like to have 400 followers on my blog by March 18 (cause that's my bday).

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Writing goals: 10,000 words on the WIP, which would be a huge accomplishment for me.
Blog post covering upcoming nonfiction agent panel
Get POD version of Spring Fevers ready to go
Celebrate my birthday the day before BBC by having 70 followers on my blog (I think I'm at like 67 or 68...)

#3 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:NOT A DROP TO DRINK is a post-apocalyptic survival tale set in a world where freshwater is almost nonexistent. Available now from Katherine Tegen / Harper Collins.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

And you scored a St. Pat's BDAY?? Jealous.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

#4 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

My goal is to finalize the revisions on my ms so I can start sending out queries to agents.

I just finished reading a book in which the MC's birthday was March 18th. I would say you're in good company, but the character was way off his rocker.

#5 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,026 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hey Matt! We share a birthday! Totally rockin' day to have a birthday. Even though you end up with one heck of a lot of green icing and green beer.

I guess I'd better aim for some followers too for this birthday club. Let's see. I don't do the follower thing on my blog, so how about I aim for 200 followers on my new @KidsPlay Twitter account. I'm at 187 right now. And maybe get a few more "likes" on Facebook. I'm at 10 for my new It's All Kid's Play and let's aim to double that. (Could be tricky!!! Not sure I have the time to cull those out of the woodwork.)

I want to have my www.itsallkidsplay.ca site redone and up by the end of March at the very latest. Delighted to have it up by the third week in March.

And once I get that under control I'd like to return to my WIP. I've been off it this week to do web work. I'd like to be back at it by my birthday.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#6 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I just finished reading a book in which the MC's birthday was March 18th. I would say you're in good company, but the character was way off his rocker.

That's good company.

Also, Queen Latifah.

#7 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I plan to have all revisions done on MS and finish first draft on at least one of my WIPs. I also want to get a synopsis and query written, but things tend to get a little crazy over here, so that might just be wishful thinking.

(On a non writer goal, since it is March, I need to get my garden ready, and some things planted. I waited too late last year and ended up with an unsuccessful garden.)

And YAY for all the March birthdays, my daughter will be 4 on March 12th :)
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#8 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:03 PM

My goal is to right wrongs and try to fix errors I've made. Also to try to finish book #2 of the zombie trilogy.

#9 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Goal is to have my MS professionally edited by the end of the month and have already started that process. Also plan to have the cover design underway. By end of March I hope to have a tentative launch date.

#10 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

My immediate goal for March is to finish Well of Dreams by the 10th. That includes formatting it for Smashwords and uploading it. The cover is all ready, the front matter is all done, I'm only waiting on a polished body text to go with it all. I want it available on all the outlets by the end of March.

Write a novella. In editing Well of Dreams, I found a character I never mention by name. I want to explore who she is and find out what happens to her. Something in the 20k-40k range.

Begin ZJ04. Also while editing Well of Dreams, I discovered another character who has a grudge against my MC. That gives me 4 baddies to harass him with in different ways. Even if I start on 3/31, I'll count it as a success.

Continue to market and try and find my audience with Edge of Hyperspace while Well of Dreams gets into the distribution channels.

Look more into Lulu and CreateSpace to decide which is better. Leaning toward Lulu right now. For the length of books I write, they seem to have the best cover price options. They also offer templates and have the normal soft and hard cover sizes. Plus they offer a way to distribute to more places for a small one-time fee.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

Michael Dunn's Cancer Battle Fund

#11 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Write a novella. In editing Well of Dreams, I found a character I never mention by name. I want to explore who she is and find out what happens to her. Something in the 20k-40k range.

Wow that is an excellent idea. I didn't know you could sell novellas. Is that something anyone can do? I'm doing short stories on my website, but turning it into one book would be interesting. Let me know how your experiences pan out.

Look more into Lulu and CreateSpace to decide which is better. Leaning toward Lulu right now. For the length of books I write, they seem to have the best cover price options. They also offer templates and have the normal soft and hard cover sizes. Plus they offer a way to distribute to more places for a small one-time fee.

I'm currently going with CreateSpace for the print version because I understand Lulu doesn't sell for you, only send you the copies to sell to people. I could be wrong.

#12 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,251 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

I need to get a *minimum* of halfway through drafting this WIP this month. Three-quarters would be better. A few good Saturdays and chipping away during the week might make it possible to get the whole enchilada done.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#13 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Wow that is an excellent idea. I didn't know you could sell novellas. Is that something anyone can do? I'm doing short stories on my website, but turning it into one book would be interesting. Let me know how your experiences pan out.

I want to have something for free on Smashwords. I don't have anything that I haven't used that can stand on its own, so I'm going to write something.

I'm currently going with CreateSpace for the print version because I understand Lulu doesn't sell for you, only send you the copies to sell to people. I could be wrong.

It appears both work pretty much the same way. It is a matter of which one has a better product and price. They both had distribution options for Amazon and B&N.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#14 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

I want to have something for free on Smashwords. I don't have anything that I haven't used that can stand on its own, so I'm going to write something.

Ooo, do you mind if I copy your idea? I always wondered what I could do for free and put it out there for people to read, and the only thing I could think was short stories on my website.

It appears both work pretty much the same way. It is a matter of which one has a better product and price. They both had distribution options for Amazon and B&N.

I will have to look that over during the weekend and see which options are best. =)

#15 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

March goal is to try to have revisions complete by my birthday (the 29th)! That's my birthday gift to myself basically. I want to have my 1st query out the door no later than 1st week in April.

I am so far keeping to the schedule. (crosses fingers)

Hope everyone has a productive month.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#16 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,026 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:34 PM

And YAY for all the March birthdays, my daughter will be 4 on March 12th :)

That is my grandma's birthday. :)

March goal is to try to have revisions complete by my birthday (the 29th)!

And three days off my other grandmother's birthday. :)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#17 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

That is my grandma's birthday. :)

And three days off my other grandmother's birthday. :)

Well, your grandmother must be a lovely woman then :tongue:
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#18 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

My immediate goal for March is to finish Well of Dreams by the 10th. That includes formatting it for Smashwords and uploading it. The cover is all ready, the front matter is all done, I'm only waiting on a polished body text to go with it all. I want it available on all the outlets by the end of March.

Begin ZJ04. Also while editing Well of Dreams, I discovered another character who has a grudge against my MC. That gives me 4 baddies to harass him with in different ways. Even if I start on 3/31, I'll count it as a success.

Continue to market and try and find my audience with Edge of Hyperspace while Well of Dreams gets into the distribution channels.

Robin,

I printed up three batches of my novel for beta-readers on lulu. I have to say, there were quality control problems. To be fair, lulu replaced the faulty copies but if they had been shipped directly to the reader - I would not have known. Skewed text was the issue with the margins as much as one-quarter inch off-square - it was very noticeable.

#19 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Robin,

I printed up three batches of my novel for beta-readers on lulu. I have to say, there were quality control problems. To be fair, lulu replaced the faulty copies but if they had been shipped directly to the reader - I would not have known. Skewed text was the issue with the margins as much as one-quarter inch off-square - it was very noticeable.

Thanks for the tip.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#20 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Jean, how did I not know that? You'd think after a couple years I'd have picked up on that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users