16 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Sooo... I was reading Facebook Intellectual Property rights (see quoted material below) after reading somewhere that they have the right to use any photos anywhere, anytime that their users have uploaded on their profiles. No permission required, no compensation given, etc.

That got me wondering... what about written content? And so I found their policy on intellectual property rights. It pretty much sounds like they can use anything I post on Facebook (unless I've set the post to private I am assuming). Since I have been posting the odd thing that I may one day publish... this could get interesting. (On the "page" (not profile) that I have you can't set posts to private meaning all posts would get tossed in Facebook's filing cabinet of goodies.)

Anyway, in the future I will be careful in a whole new way on Facebook (darn that Facebook!).

I thought I would share this with you folks too, in case I am in need of correction--or if I am correct, to give you a bit of warning.

Cheerio, darlings!

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Not surprised. Good to know. Thanks, Jean!

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

I think I would find it very interesting if this ever got tested in court, but as a very long time network user I am perhaps far more cautious than most. If I post a picture, I don't care if it's shared. I try to say nothing that can be misconstrued. It happens that I live in a politically diverse group of friends so anything I say about politics I must feel completely ready to defend.

The network is the enemy of intellectual property. Indeed the tools of it are at war about that. Apple and Microsoft defending private ownership, Linux promoting GNU licenses. It pays to be very cautious.

#4 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Facebook doesn't appear to be the only social media site grabbing rights. Pinterest seems even more greedy than Facebook:

By making available any Member Content through the Site, Application or Services, you hereby grant to Cold Brew Labs a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license, with the right to sublicense, to use, copy, adapt, modify, distribute, license, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, stream, broadcast, access, view, and otherwise exploit such Member Content only on, through or by means of the Site, Application or Services.

Emphasis added.

#5 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

So if you put up copyright protected images that you don't have the proper rights to, how does that work. You have to have the rights to the image for that statement to have any legal meaning. We writers, generating original content, should be careful because that would give them the right to use, free of charge, anything we create, but they can't take rights their users don't possess.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think Pinterest just changed that "sell" part as they say--we never intended to sell.

And Robin--EXACTLY!!!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#7 Jennie

Jennie

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:DAMSELFLY and SUGAR PLUM are out now.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

Interestingly, Google + does NOT take your intellectual property rights. Anything you share through that site remains yours and yours alone.

Follow me on Twitter, Like me on Facebook. Shelve me on Goodreads.  Check out my other work as an artist. 

#8 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Google started out just in the search business. They have a different perspective from having dealt with millions of pages and images over the years.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#9 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

What is disturbing about Google is that they do not claim your property rights. They do however claim you and all your interests, habits and desires as their property so that the can more effectively sell tailor advertising to you. In a sense, all your information becomes their property.

#10 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Rick, they are after the record of your actions, not your copyrightable creations. That record is gold in the information age.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#11 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

So, because I'm ignorant here: can a link I share fall under that umbrella of rights? In other words, I've linked my blog to my FB page. When I post something new on Words from the Woods, the first few lines pop up on FB.

Just asking...

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#12 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, anything that is posted on Facebook (in my understanding) is then theirs to use in advertising or whatnot. So the first few lines of your blog that appear on Facebook is theirs to do what they want with it. The odds of them using it is very slim, but it is something to be aware of.

#13 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

It basically gives them the right to use screen captures of anyone's account in their advertising. It does make sense from that point of view, but the way they word it sounds very all encompassing and total and that they intend to steal and keep everything for themselves. That's been in place for quite a while and that don't use much from the millions of people on FB. I'm not too worried, as long as they keep using it so sparingly, the wording is more CYA than an overt ownership claim, so I have no problem with it.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

#14 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Too funny. Now I imagine all the ridiculous things I've said over the past few months that I've streamed my blog to FB and have to laugh. I suppose they can have it with my blessing.

*heads over to FB to see what I'm giving up*

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#15 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Imagine the uproar if they used it that way? My Facebook profile had pretty photo of me taken by a friend while I was engrossed in conversation with another. I admit I looked pretty good. I then got a FB message from someone who described himself as wanting my permission to use my picture for a "client" and reimburse me for the picture.

Well let's see. I didn't take the picture. Paul did. He had posted it on FB originally so FB "owned" it. I didn't really want to start a conversation on the Internet with someone I didn't know about money transfers so I ignored it. Its hard to "own" anything on the network without some version of encryption.

#16 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I don't think FB gets the ownership rights for things posted on their site, just the rights to use it however they want. So your pretty little face could be on the main FB page or in FB's presentations to shareholders, etc., without compensation or permission asked--that sort of thing. At least that's my understanding.

#17 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Jean, that is the meaning I take from it. Though I just witnessed an author I like just close their Facebook account because they disliked this policy and the new Timeline. He did not have nice things to say.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users