#21 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over a dozen books published under both my Cali MacKay pen name and Calista Taylor.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

You've gotten great advice. If she doesn't tell you to pull it, then I'd say market it as best you can, get as many sales as you can, and hope that the numbers will be good enough to either garner interest in this book (or in future books), or use the numbers to your advantage when querying in the future. If she's not interested, then do your best to get good numbers and exposure and get your name out there. Agents do go looking for particular stories from time to time if they think they can sell a particular genre/story type, and they're not seeing it in their queries. Out of the three agents I've had, 2 of them found me, and I credit that to being "out there" and having enough exposure that I show up if they do a search for the type of stuff I write.

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

51M9jSBpNOL._AA160_.jpg518t1wJjh2L._AA160_.jpg 51u%2BLRzsWSL._AA160_.jpg

#22 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, in November.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Short of the agent telling you that she loves it and wants you to pull it down, I'd totally recommend you follow what Cali is telling you.

#23 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

All good advice. I didn't want to send my full because I already published and I wanted to be up front with her about what the situation was. Not that I've sold many copies yet, but I told her I only just published about a week ago.

BTW how long do agents usually take to email you back? It looks like her website just went up on March 2, and she emailed me today the 8th. So I'm hoping she wants to get on the ball, but I dont know what to expect.

#24 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Well, Caterina, you probably should give her a bit more than a few hours to respond. She could be busy (starting up her own agency and all) or even considering your email. Give her a few days ;)

That is quite the predicament though! I think my dad's sage (if crazy) advice comes into play here: Don't rush into things!

The fact that your book hasn't been on the market long might be to your advantage. I wish you the best of luck!
Shadow's Dawn (EF) -- Querying/ Editing

Morning Darkness (EF) -- WIP

Evening Light and untitled fourth book (EF) -- Outlining/Planning

#25 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,033 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Out of the three agents I've had, 2 of them found me...

That is still so awesome, Cali. :biggrin:

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#26 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

You've gotten great advice. If she doesn't tell you to pull it, then I'd say market it as best you can, get as many sales as you can, and hope that the numbers will be good enough to either garner interest in this book (or in future books), or use the numbers to your advantage when querying in the future. If she's not interested, then do your best to get good numbers and exposure and get your name out there. Agents do go looking for particular stories from time to time if they think they can sell a particular genre/story type, and they're not seeing it in their queries. Out of the three agents I've had, 2 of them found me, and I credit that to being "out there" and having enough exposure that I show up if they do a search for the type of stuff I write.

btw Cali - you have self-published experience, right (unless I'm confusing you with someone else)? What did the agents think of this? Anyone want to republish your self published work?

#27 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over a dozen books published under both my Cali MacKay pen name and Calista Taylor.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Thanks, Jean!! It still surprises me too! lol.

Caterina, the book I self pubb'd was the one that got me my first agent (the traditional way). I queried, she signed me, we started to go on submission, and then part way through submissions, the agency I was with switched to YA/MG exclusively and I was dropped. And because it had already partially been out on submissions, there was no point in requerying it-- no agent would bother. It was collecting dust, but once ebooks became a viable option, I figured I had nothing to lose with that series so I epubb'd it.

My second agent found me because of my blog (book wasn't epubb'd yet) when he needed someone to make a steampunk clothing craft book (was looking for someone doing steampunk, crafting/sewing, and could write). That book sold to a traditional publisher and will be out in Sept. And then the third agent was from a very recent inquiry about my Viridis series (the one that was collecting dust and I epubb'd) and whether I was interested in selling it in Japan. But had it not been "out there" and epubb'd, that opportunity wouldn't have come up. Getting the agent there has been awesome, and it'll be even better if she manages to sell to a publisher there! lol.

So basically, having my blog, twitter and book out there has been useful in getting an agent, even if it's not necessarily the traditional route for publishing or getting an agent. These days, there's more than one road you can take as a writer. Think of Ruthie, who's just hit 100K in royalties in the 6 months she's had her book out. A traditional publishing deal is SWEET!!! But things are a bit different these days and there are more options for writers.

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

#28 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

#29 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out April 8th.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Thanks, Jean!! It still surprises me too! lol.

Caterina, the book I self pubb'd was the one that got me my first agent (the traditional way). I queried, she signed me, we started to go on submission, and then part way through submissions, the agency I was with switched to YA/MG exclusively and I was dropped. And because it had already partially been out on submissions, there was no point in requerying it-- no agent would bother. It was collecting dust, but once ebooks became a viable option, I figured I had nothing to lose with that series so I epubb'd it.

My second agent found me because of my blog (book wasn't epubb'd yet) when he needed someone to make a steampunk clothing craft book (was looking for someone doing steampunk, crafting/sewing, and could write). That book sold to a traditional publisher and will be out in Sept. And then the third agent was from a very recent inquiry about my Viridis series (the one that was collecting dust and I epubb'd) and whether I was interested in selling it in Japan. But had it not been "out there" and epubb'd, that opportunity wouldn't have come up. Getting the agent there has been awesome, and it'll be even better if she manages to sell to a publisher there! lol.

So basically, having my blog, twitter and book out there has been useful in getting an agent, even if it's not necessarily the traditional route for publishing or getting an agent. These days, there's more than one road you can take as a writer. Think of Ruthie, who's just hit 100K in royalties in the 6 months she's had her book out. A traditional publishing deal is SWEET!!! But things are a bit different these days and there are more options for writers.

Yeah, that's just still to fuckin' awesome, Cali. Way.To.Go.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#30 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Caterina, have you heard anything?

#31 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks, bones! Hopefully something more will come out of the interest for Japan. I guess I never was one for the straight road. lol. ; )

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

#32 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I second his words. VERY VERY AWESOME, GO CALI! Whoop whoop

#33 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Caterina, have you heard anything?

Nothing yet, and I'm beginning to think it's because I replied to her email and the subject line still said "Query: Zombie Whisperer." Hopefully she didn't see it and think it was a new query to add to her already growing pile of queries.

All I asked was a question in my replied email. Would it be premature to start a new email to her and Jordy (Jordy was cc'd in her earlier email) with a new subject line, like "Requested materials" or something along those lines?

#34 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,177 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I second his words. VERY VERY AWESOME, GO CALI! Whoop whoop

Thanks, Caterina! As for emailing the agent again, I'd likely check their site for their normal response time to requested material, since most agents take a while to get back to you, even if it's something they requested. And if in the end it's not something they're interested in, just make the most of it being self pub'd so you can then use your numbers as a plus when you query your next project.

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

#35 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out April 8th.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

Good advice, Cali.

Remember: agents can smell a desperate or unsure writer a mile off. You don't want to come off as either of those. (not saying you are, of course) If they are really excited about your work, they WILL get back to you, trust me.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#36 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thanks, Caterina! As for emailing the agent again, I'd likely check their site for their normal response time to requested material, since most agents take a while to get back to you, even if it's something they requested. And if in the end it's not something they're interested in, just make the most of it being self pub'd so you can then use your numbers as a plus when you query your next project.

From Query Tracker, It says she takes three months to respond to full manuscript submissions. =( I didn't send my manuscript because I wanted to know if she still wanted it since i self-pub'd, so I literally just asked a question in my reply.

I'm going to have to start marketing again. I thought maybe I shouldn't do that and wait to see what she wanted first since it was very recent when i self-pub'd.

Good advice, Cali.

Remember: agents can smell a desperate or unsure writer a mile off. You don't want to come off as either of those. (not saying you are, of course) If they are really excited about your work, they WILL get back to you, trust me.

Ok, I'll try not to come off as desperate or unsure. I'm going to have to put on my patient hat.

#37 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

UPDATE: After reading her submission process for emails, it says she will not take "queries" to her direct email address (My replied email had 'query' in the subject line), so I figured my emails would be cached as junk.

I started a new email to her (making sure I mentioned she requested my full) and cc'd Jordy that explained my situation AND this time I attached the full manuscript for zombie whisperer. Now it's a waiting game. According to query tracker, her average response time is 70 days.

#38 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

#39 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Thanks! Me too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users