38 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Do you have a blog that is housed somewhere other than on AQC and you would like it to appear on the main page? (And external blog can be on Blogger, WordPress, your own URL, or somewhere else.)

Step 1:

You will need your feed RSS URL. It should look something simple like http://www.yoursite.com/feed. (For Blogger powered blogs if the RSS feed URL doesn't work, try adding this behind your .com: /feeds/posts/default?alt=rss OR another slash after "feed": .com/feed/. And for WordPress blogs if your blog is at http://www.yoursite/blog/feed you might have to drop the 'blog' part of the feed and simply put in http://yoursite.com/feed. You may also need to drop the 'www.' Just keep tweaking and trying and see what it accepts.)

An easy way to get your RSS feed URL is to use the RSS chicklet (button) on your site/blog (if you have one), click on it. Copy the URL that it shows you. You will need this to create an RSS feed into the AQC local blogs.

Step 2:

Go to your profile name at the top right of any AQC page. Click on "manage blogs" in the little drop down menu by your name.

Step 3:

Click on the green button "Create a blog."

Step4:

Go to step 1 of creating a blog and check agree--if you agree with the terms. If you do not agree, do not pass go. End here.

Step 5:

Go to step 2 of creating a blog. Add your blog title and short description and choose "Local blog." Click "Continue" to go to step 3.

Step 6:

Choose your settings in step 3 of creating your blog. (Public is good if you want folks to see it.) Save and it will appear in a "list" of your blogs.

Step 7:

Click on the "Options" button beside your listed blog. Choose the "manage RSS import." Paste in your feed URL. Click on "save."

Step 8:

Your blog should now appear in the list on the main page--assuming you have recent content. It may take an hour or two for it to appear, or it may not appear until you post new content. I've noticed the feed usually appears within an hour of two of my posts going live on my blog.

Note that you can turn comments on or off for your blog as it appears here on AQC. If you have them on--don't forget to check for comments or check the box under the blog section in your profile's notifications settings so you get an email notification when someone comments.

*A note on syndicating your blog via RSS. What I have read (and correct me if I have my facts wrong) is that syndicating (allowing your posts to be available via RSS) can work against you in three ways if you aren't careful.

One--allowing your whole post to be syndicated instead of allowing only a summary or the first few lines to 'go out' increases the likelihood of your content being plagiarized. :sad:

Two--by allowing your content to be sent out in whole you don't bring folks to your blog to increase your readership and allow them to see more of your site. If you are trying to gain folks so you can show your publisher you have a following, I would say only share the first bit in your RSS feeds--even though it isn't as convenient to your readers. However, are they likely to click to your site from here (my stats show only about 10% click over)? And you can also check your views for your AQC RSSed blog here on AQC. (You'll see this beside your blog in the manage blogs area.)

Three--if you, say, have your whole blog post on your blog and then again syndicated in whole here on AQC and search engines crawl both, compare the info and see it is duplicated--guess who has the better search engine ranking and will gain from the new content you have posted? You or AQC? Hint: it won't be you. What this means is that your ranking will decrease and it will be more difficult for folks to stumble upon your blog's content via a search engine. (Although, yes, they could find it here and follow it to your site.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thanks so much Jean! I figured out I had to make it a Local blog, then saw the RSS thing, but was having trouble with my blog feed.... lol. I'm off to try it again.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#3 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Got it! Yay! Thanks again :-)

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#4 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

mine will not work for some reason and i followed your exact steps =(

#5 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

never mind. i fixed it. lol

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

I see you both. Congratulations!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg   loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   HotSummerLove-e1409935103103.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $2.99            $2.99   * $0.99 SEPTEMBER ONLY! *

#7 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

You rock Jean! Thx so much :)

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#8 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

No problem.

#9 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

You are brilliant! Thanks - I don't even think I messed it up! :smile: .... maybe... we'll see!

#10 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sometimes it does take a bit to show up. And now with a bunch of us RSSing you'll find yourself bumped off the list faster which may make it tricky to see if it is working. You can, however, see what AQC has found when you manage your blogs. It should show you how many posts it has RSSed.

#11 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My epic fantasy, Kindar's Cure was released from Divertir Publishing. A short story, Frost and Fog, is in Summer's Double Edge anthology.

I'm repped by Sarah Negovetich.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Can't find my RSS. Clicked on posts: Atom at the bottom of my blog and got an address. AQC keeps giving me an error report. Help!

#12 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

i think it might work if you just add /feed at the end of your url

like http://www.caterinatorres.com/feed or something like that

#13 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Can't find my RSS. Clicked on posts: Atom at the bottom of my blog and got an address. AQC keeps giving me an error report. Help!

Michelle, I'm having the same problem with a Blogger blog. I'm thinking it's something not set up right on the blog end. Hopefully Jean or someone else who's done it successfully with Blogger (and I know Jean has, because FTWA is one) can help us clear that up.
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#14 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

I had my blog set up with RSS via feedburner before I tried this. I then just clicked on the little orange icon for rss on my blog and used the link for the page it sent me too. It looked different from the one Jean showed, but my post showed up today so it must have worked okay. I don't know if you need to do that first or not. I am NOT very techie-aware about these things.

#15 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

I had to do some Googling problem solving to get a feed URL that worked for From The Write Angle blog which is powered by Blogger. Try adding the bolded to your blog URL:
http://www.fromthewriteangle.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

#16 Michelle4Laughs

Michelle4Laughs

Walking on Sunshine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My epic fantasy, Kindar's Cure was released from Divertir Publishing. A short story, Frost and Fog, is in Summer's Double Edge anthology.

I'm repped by Sarah Negovetich.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

I had to do some Googling problem solving to get a feed URL that worked for From The Write Angle blog which is powered by Blogger. Try adding the bolded to your blog URL:
http://www.fromthewriteangle.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss

That's it, Jean! It worked. Thanks!

#17 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

A-ha! Yeah, the URL I was getting had everything but the "?alt=rss" at the end.
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#18 TBruce

TBruce

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:It's complicated...

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

And now with a bunch of us RSSing you'll find yourself bumped off the list faster .

LOL - gee, thanks a lot Jean! You had to go and let the cat out of the bag now we those of us in the know don't get to hog the AQC blog widget. Damn it! ; :tongue:

hereafter_cover_jpg_72_twitter.jpg

Terri Bruce--creating my own special blend of literary science fiction and fantasy
Website/Blog | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page | Facebook Profile Page | Goodreads

#19 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,151 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I know, Terri. Over are the days of me hogging the blog list. Darn sharing and caring Canadian personality.

And you can all bow to my geeky talents... I promise I won't get conceited from all the praise. :wink:

Glad that URL is working for you guys. Even though it means a little less exposure for me. :biggrin:

#20 MarcyKate

MarcyKate

There can be only One.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel MONSTROUS will be out from HarperCollins Children’s Books in Winter 2015!

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Huh, so this is weird. I set mine up, but the only text it shows on the AQC listing is Source with a link to the blog...I double checked and I did set it up as a local blog, too. Anyone else having this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users