38 replies to this topic

#21 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,036 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

You probably have your blog's RSS feed set to only send the title and a summary. If you haven't written a summary for your post, only the title will go out with a link to your blog post. If you want your whole blog post to be sent to the AQC page--or any other RSS feed for that matter--you will need to check your blog settings. You can probably find it under something like "reading" or "RSS" in your dashboard. You will need to check off "send full post" or something similar.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#22 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but when I try to do this I get something that says:

'Fatal error: Cannot break/continue 1 level in /home/agentque/public_html/admin/sources/classes/rss/import.php on line 379'

I did everything just like you said, but that's what happens. :huh:
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#23 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

Never mind, I got it. Thanks for the help, RC! And thanks for the tips, Jean! :happy:
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#24 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, and the magazine Stupefying Stories.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

How do you truncate posts to avoid sending the entire post here, and run the three risks you outlined? I can't find an option that does something like that. What am I missing?

#25 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:25 PM

Aaron, I'm pretty sure that has to be selected from your blog's end. I know in Blogger, where you manage the RSS settings, it has an option for Full or Short. But when I tried Short, I got the same error Kela had. I haven't had time to dig in and figure out the problem.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#26 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, and the magazine Stupefying Stories.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hmm. Maybe showing until the Jumpbreak is the way to go. I haven't used them on my blog, so far, but I suppose I could go back and add them in. If it fixes this issue, it might be worth it, even though it reduces the readability of the blog overall. I'll try the "short" option (see this page for those who were wondering the same thing) and see if I have the same error you guys are getting.

UPDATE: I'm still showing the entire blog post when I click the Read Full button. Is that the way it's supposed to go, or is it supposed to redirect to the blog itself?

UPDATE 2: Okay, so my content showed up, but not my new post. I gave it almost a day, and still, no update one the AQC end. So I went back and changed it to being an external linked blog.

Maybe I'm confused, here. I was hoping that this would be a good way to drive traffic to my blog, but so far, neither option seems to be geared to that. The external link shows no content, and so provides no "teasers", while the local blog shows all of the content, thus eliminating any need to visit the blog site itself. Is there some sort of happy medium, achievable with the right settings?

#27 DebsBlueRoses

DebsBlueRoses

The artist formerly known as @}-;--

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Poetshaven.com and Temple University's In Other Words. Small, but it's a start.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

It says I don't have any entries yet, so I think I have to wait the couple of hours. I hope so.

@}-'--
Deborah Hawkins
Pen: Debra McKellan
"Art doesn't come from the mind. Art comes from the place where you dream. So in a sense, I am welcoming you into my dream."
--Robert Olen Butler

http://debramckellan.blogspot.com

#28 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,036 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

Aaron, you should get a teaser using the "short" feature in Blogger for RSSing your posts out. Not sure why that isn't working. Sometimes making changes and saving them on the Blogger end and then coming back and deleting here and then redoing it all works.

Personally, I decided (in the end) to send my whole post out (to AQC) and my traffic increased. Both my reads here on AQC as well as on my own blog. Or so it seems. In the end you have to do what works for you.

Deb, did it work?

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#29 DebsBlueRoses

DebsBlueRoses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Poetshaven.com and Temple University's In Other Words. Small, but it's a start.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

No. lol I'm sure I'm messing something up.

@}-'--
Deborah Hawkins
"Art doesn't come from the mind. Art comes from the place where you dream. So in a sense, I am welcoming you into my dream."
--Robert Olen Butler

#30 DebsBlueRoses

DebsBlueRoses

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Okay, I apparently had to change some of my blog settings. It works now.

@}-'--
Deborah Hawkins
--Robert Olen Butler

#31 Joe Stephens

Joe Stephens

To love another person is to see the face of God.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Do I have to be a paying customer or something in order to be allowed a blog? When I click on my name, Manage Blog doesn't appear.

#32 Joe Stephens

Joe Stephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:42 AM

Never mind. I'm an idiot.

#33 Joe Stephens

Joe Stephens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Woohoo--there it is! I'm quite embarrassed by the reason this didn't work initially. I'm supposed to be a techie and I had an extra space and an extra slash in the URL. :blush: Like my old friend Dan always said about technology, "You can do it any way you want, but only way works."

#34 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,036 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Darn. I was hoping to convince you it would work if you gave me five bucks, Joe. :wink: Glad it is working now.

#35 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Mine is never going to work again, I'm afraid. :unsure:

#36 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,036 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

It will Vicki, you just need to give WordPress a kick on the correct fender.

#37 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

:biggrin:

Actually, I think I may have to bend the ear of my systems librarian -- who is a website guru and has helped me before. Won't be able to do that until next week, but hopefully he can help.

#38 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Apparently I'm technologically challenged as well because I can't find the manage blog button either. 

"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#39 kevinpeter102

kevinpeter102

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

With one you can spend hours trying buy twitter followers to build your following on Twitter or you can take the easy and efficient way and buy Twitter followers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users