• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not yet!

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:26 PM

Synopsis – CYBER –BULLIED
Prologue: News article reports teen suicide with a possible cause of cyber-bullying; teen is not identified.

Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast and best friend Melinda are going to their first party as upperclassman. Ready to change their status of average to popular, Jen and Melinda hope that this will be their coming out party. When loser Kevin Balling accidental falls on Jen and they crash on the floor, plans change. Camera cell phones go off as the two get up and Kevin is kissing Jen.

Jen awakes to twenty-three text messages with pictures of her on top of Kevin. Kevin wakes up wondering if his life has changed. At school, Jen is dodging everyone, even Melinda thinks that something happened between Jen and Kevin. Kevin is being harassed and called rapist by his classmates.

Weeks later, Jen wakes up to find a picture of herself naked posted on Lakeside School’s web-page with a caption reading, “Give it to me, Kevin.” Her self-esteem is gone, she finds refuge taking showers. Jen’s body becomes red and raw; her mother insists that she go to the doctor. The doctor prescribes lotion for her skin and tells Mom that Jen’s depression is from having sex. Jen tries to deny it, but Mom is already convinced. Kevin is now the school’s sex god. Troy and Chad, part of the ‘in crowd,’ invite him everywhere, girls are trying to go out with him, his cell phone is filled with text messages, he IM’s friends on Facebook.

When Jen goes to school, she is chastised. She has no place to go but her favorite childhood park. The first time she goes there, she sees the word slut and breaks down. The second time she is invited by Melinda only, Melinda does not show up, instead Troy and Chad are there to rape her. When the boys are finished, Jen is naked until Melinda helps her home. She makes several apologies and then leaves Jen.

Kevin is going out with a cheerleader named Carrie, for weeks she talks about them having sex, and finally the night arrives. They go to a party and Kevin notices Mel sitting on Chad with a lap top laughing and blogging. Mel is texting and blogging at the same time while Troy’s arms are all over Mel’s thighs. Carrie leads Kevin to a bedroom upstairs, takes off her top to reveal a cami, she asks him undress while she goes to the bathroom. Kevin is more than ready for her, when she opens the door; he sees Troy, Chad and several other students taking pictures of him. “Loser, bastard, asshole, why don’t you just take a gun and shoot yourself,” someone says. Kevin is dumbfounded, is he better off being dead?

Jen receives a text from Mel telling her to look at a blog, when she gets to the site; she is stunned to find her name as the #1 slut and easy lay. She cannot take it anymore; Jen writes a suicide note and hangs herself. Her parents find her and they are devastated, Mr. Cast, a lawyer demands justice, Mrs. Cast is numb. Her memorial website is trashed with the words slut, whore, skank, and loser.

Kevin decides his life is worth living, and when questioned by Mr. Cast, he tells what happened. Hundreds of students show up to the funeral only to get out of school, Mr. Cast tells Kevin that he will not give up; the cyber-bullies will be brought to justice.
The novel ends with a news report detailing the cyber-bullying, rape, the accused and their sentence.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[*][sup][sub][s][spoiler]Lake Michigan[/spoiler][/s][/sub][/sup]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#2 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

I'm no expert on synopses (my own efforts at them still make me cringe), but the first thing I notice is that this feels more like an outline. Everything's a little too play-by-play, each sentence feeling disconnected from the next. It's hard when trying to boil the story down to a page or two, but there still needs to be a flow.

Watch out for a few typos/grammar slips (accidental/accidentally, some comma splices, etc.).

There are a couple of things I found confusing, too. Kevin accidentally falls on Jen. (1) He's kissing her when they get up--is he drunk or something? (2) The pictures in the morning show Jen on top of Kevin--the physics of that is confusing me because *he* fell on *her*. More detail is not *necessarily* the answer here, but ensure the details you have are logical.

Also, "When Jen goes to school, she is chastised." The word choice has me scratching my head. School staff tell her she needs to shape up? Students say they're very disappointed in her? Those are the types of things that pop into my head with "chastised" but they don't seem to fit here. It's also passive, which has its place, but is extra-troublesome when I don't understand who's doing the chastising.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#3 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult, steampunk and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction. My first pro fiction sale was THE TALE OF NAMELESS CHAMELEON (recommended reading by Tangent Online) to the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. Most recent publications: EMBRACE OF THE PLANETS Sept-October 2014 Magazine of F&Sf. SHE WALKS IN BEAUTY November 2014 FICTION RIVER PAST CRIME ANTHOLOGY, GOOLIE UNRULY, Feb 2015 SKYWARRIOR BOOKS FIRST CONTACT CAFE ANTHOLOGY, GRET, BLACKGUARDS/BLACKLIST ANTHOLOGY from Ragnarok Publications, ST JEAN AND THE DRAGON May 2015 FICTION RIVER ALCHEMY AND STEAM ANTHOLOGY. I am currently at work on a Mythic Epic Fantasy series set in a Parallel Universe.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Ok, here's my take on this. I agree with RC on every point she made. Including how frustrating and flippin' difficult it is to write a good synopsis. :sad: Synopses (which are also called proposals for the purpose of marketing) need to give a strong sense of the book's voice. You are doing all the technical things right here, but tell me also what makes these characters feel close to us? Make me care for them. You are unremittingly harsh on Jen and Kevin without presenting any sense that they are cared for by parents and friends. There's no contrast between the bullying and who these kids are as human beings. Yes, I do feel badly for the things that are happening to them but to me its the connectedness that's missing. The difference between knowing miners died in a tunnel collapse in Chile and having a cousin in Chile who's a miner and not hearing from him and fearing the worst. You are showing these characters being acted upon by others but not how they make choices and why. Character's goals and motivations. Major turning points brought about by the main characters' decisions and the conflicts these cause. This continues right to the end when you state Kevin decides to live and Jen kills herself. I feel unresolved as to what growth has occurred in any of the characters in the story by the end. You probably have these in the book itself, but right now the synopsis doesn't reflect any of that. In short what's missing is dramatic tension.

#4 Robin Breyer

Robin Breyer

Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

I found it helpful for my synopsis to not start big. It can seem daunting to start with your 70k word novel and compress it into 500-1000 words. Since we have to very concisely sum up our story in our query, I took that and then expanded it. I found it was much easier to keep the story flowing and keep things connected. I just went through it a few times, adding in what I considered the next most important detail. My story is complex so in my latest draft I have many fewer characters and places mentioned and more details on my 3 main characters and 3 satellite characters who move the action. When I did it that way it came out smooth, no choppiness (at least I am happy with it). Of course I did post it here both before and after for comments and I had posted it on the old site, so I had a lot of good input to think about, but that's how I went about it. That is assuming you have a good concise but flowing summery in your query. I didn't go back to my synopsis until I had a near final query.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#5 Redfae

Redfae

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:All my life I have enjoyed writing. My writing credits include Cherry Blossom, a short story, published in an anthology. In addition, I maintain my blog and website. I am a member of a local writers social group and actively participate in online writing communities. I have enjoyed creating stories from a young age

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Synopsis – CYBER –BULLIED
Prologue: News article reports teen suicide with a possible cause of cyber-bullying; teen is not identified.

I like this start

Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast and best friend Melinda are going to their first party as upperclassman. Ready to change their status of average to popular, Jen and Melinda hope that this will be their coming out party. When loser Kevin Balling accidental falls on Jen and they crash on the floor, plans change. Camera cell phones go off as the two get up and Kevin is kissing Jen.

I like how this social mishap becomes social suicide - it has a very teen drama feel to it.

Jen awakes to twenty-three text messages with pictures of her on top of Kevin. Kevin wakes up wondering if his life has changed. At school, Jen is dodging everyone, even Melinda thinks that something happened between Jen and Kevin. Kevin is being harassed and called rapist by his classmates..

This bit was unclear to me. I can see that Jen is not happy about the her new status - she has been pictured kissing the loser Kevin. I can see how Kevin might get bullied by people suggesting he forced himself on her but the line 'Kevin wakes up wondering if his life has changed' is either in the wrong place or not helpful and I think it should come out.

Weeks later, Jen wakes up to find a picture of herself naked posted on Lakeside School’s web-page with a caption reading, “Give it to me, Kevin.” Her self-esteem is gone, she finds refuge taking showers. Jen’s body becomes red and raw; her mother insists that she go to the doctor. The doctor prescribes lotion for her skin and tells Mom that Jen’s depression is from having sex. Jen tries to deny it, but Mom is already convinced. Kevin is now the school’s sex god. Troy and Chad, part of the ‘in crowd,’ invite him everywhere, girls are trying to go out with him, his cell phone is filled with text messages, he IM’s friends on Facebook.

The kiss at the party was an accident and I'm guessing she was fully clothed at the time so where did the naked picture come from? The doctor says her 'excessive showering' is a reaction to sex and I'm just wondering whether she is a virgin or not as this is very confusing. You say she denies it but that would suggest the doctor could be right. Magically, Kevin is now a 'sex god'. How did that happen? Suddenly I realise her there is no reason prior as to why he was a 'loser'. Surely, if Kevin's social status has risen hers would too by association?

When Jen goes to school, she is chastised. She has no place to go but her favorite childhood park. The first time she goes there, she sees the word slut and breaks down. The second time she is invited by Melinda only, Melinda does not show up, instead Troy and Chad are there to rape her. When the boys are finished, Jen is naked until Melinda helps her home. She makes several apologies and then leaves Jen.

First, Jen escapes to the showers and now she escapes to the park - is she cured of her excessive showering problem? You say Melinda 'does not show up' then at the end she 'helps her home' - did you mean to say Mel is late and whilst Jen waits she gets raped? I'm not sure about that 'Troy and Chad are there to rape her' that sounds a bit pre-planned and I don't understand why Mel would set her up, she's supposed to be her best friend, right? When Mel comforts her, doesn't she encourage her to report the lads - Kevin accidentally kissed her and got called a rapist!

Kevin is going out with a cheerleader named Carrie, for weeks she talks about them having sex, and finally the night arrives. They go to a party and Kevin notices Mel sitting on Chad with a lap top laughing and blogging. Mel is texting and blogging at the same time while Troy’s arms are all over Mel’s thighs. Carrie leads Kevin to a bedroom upstairs, takes off her top to reveal a cami, she asks him undress while she goes to the bathroom. Kevin is more than ready for her, when she opens the door; he sees Troy, Chad and several other students taking pictures of him. “Loser, bastard, asshole, why don’t you just take a gun and shoot yourself,” someone says. Kevin is dumbfounded, is he better off being dead?

Again, have Mel and Jen fallen out as that hasn't been explained and I currently I can't see why Mel would by so friendly towards her best friends rapists (Troy and Chad). Why after waiting weeks to have sex with Kevin does Carrie then go and get Troy and Chad to make a mockery of Kevin? It Carrie has alterier motives then I feel this should be made more clear in the synopsis.

Jen receives a text from Mel telling her to look at a blog, when she gets to the site; she is stunned to find her name as the #1 slut and easy lay. She cannot take it anymore; Jen writes a suicide note and hangs herself. Her parents find her and they are devastated, Mr. Cast, a lawyer demands justice, Mrs. Cast is numb. Her memorial website is trashed with the words slut, whore, skank, and loser.

Its unclear if the blogging and texting Mel was doing earlier whilst being touched up by Troy and Chad is connected to the site where Jen is named number 1 slut.

Kevin decides his life is worth living, and when questioned by Mr. Cast, he tells what happened. Hundreds of students show up to the funeral only to get out of school, Mr. Cast tells Kevin that he will not give up; the cyber-bullies will be brought to justice.

I think this paragraph should start with 'Mr. Cast, a lawyer demands justice' simply because this is all about the conclusion of the story.

The novel ends with a news report detailing the cyber-bullying, rape, the accused and their sentence.

I like the idea that the story started with a news article and ends with one. That is really clever.

Overall the story sounds really gripping wih lots of drama and a really good read. They synopsis has to tell the agent everything that is going to happen in the story - it is not a teaser or blurb. Everything must be explained and the tricky part is doing that but keeping the word count down.

Is this novel going to be aimed at the YA market. If so, its fine to have a rape scene, however, it can't be too graphic that it is considered unsuitable for the ages 14 to 21.

"YA novels currently in print include content about peer pressure, illness, divorce, drugs, gangs, crime, violence, sexuality, incest, oral sex, and female/male rape. Critics of such content argue that the novels encourage destructive or immoral behavior. Others argue that fictional portrayal of teens successfully addressing difficult situations and confronting social issues helps readers deal with real-life challenges.

Debate continues regarding the amount and nature of violence and profanity appropriate in young-adult fiction." Quote from Wikipedia (I know its not the best source - but was just a quick search.

I also found this blog on sex scenes in YA fiction: http://kidlit.com/20...0/13/sex-in-ya/

Hope this all helps :)

#6 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

News Headline: Teens Charged in Suicide and Overdosing Cyber-bully Case
Worchester, N.Y. --- Four teens have been charged in the suicide bullying case of Melinda Keller and the attempted suicide of Jennifer Cast. “Both teens are said to have endured months of torment by classmates online and in person”, prosecutor Manual Golf was quoted saying on Friday.

Mr. Cast, the survivor’s father, and lawyer has been investigating the case, “My daughter was a victim of relentless activities making it impossible for her to stay at school and lead an active normal teenage life. The bullying for her and Melinda Keller was intolerable. The school should have done something to help.” Cast added.

Lakeside School Superintendent Mike Hawk commented on the schools behalf, “the real problem is the texting and cyber-bullying; some kids can be very mean towards one another using that medium. Apparently, both teens had been subjected to taunting from classmates, mostly through Facebook and text messages, but also in person on occasions.” Mr. Hawk denied the school of being responsible for Ms. Keller’s death and Ms. Cast’s attempted suicide.

Hawk noted that much of Cast’s bullying was “done online or by cell phone, there was some harassment conducted on school grounds during school hours.” Asked about the incident involving the school website and the two teen girls, Hawk refused to comment.
The students are facing charges of violation of civil rights resulting in an injury, criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly, and possible stalking. Some students accused of participating in the bullying have been disciplined by the school and have been expelled. Senior students Chadwick Anderson and Troy List have been charged with the rape of Jennifer Cast. The case is still under investigation, and there may be additional charges.

CYBER-BULLIED - YA Contemporary novel with dual male and female perspectives.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#7 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

News Headline: Teens Charged in Suicide and Overdosing Cyber-bully Case
Worchester, N.Y. --- Four teens have been charged in the suicide bullying case of Melinda Keller and the attempted suicide of Jennifer Cast. “Both teens are said to have endured months of torment by classmates online and in person”, prosecutor Manual Golf was quoted saying on Friday.

Mr. Cast, the survivor’s father, and lawyer has been investigating the case, “My daughter was a victim of relentless activities making it impossible for her to stay at school and lead an active normal teenage life. The bullying for her and Melinda Keller was intolerable. The school should have done something to help.” Cast added.

Lakeside School Superintendent Mike Hawk commented on the schools behalf, “the real problem is the texting and cyber-bullying; some kids can be very mean towards one another using that medium. Apparently, both teens had been subjected to taunting from classmates, mostly through Facebook and text messages, but also in person on occasions.” Mr. Hawk denied the school of being responsible for Ms. Keller’s death and Ms. Cast’s attempted suicide.

Hawk noted that much of Cast’s bullying was “done online or by cell phone, there was some harassment conducted on school grounds during school hours.” Asked about the incident involving the school website and the two teen girls, Hawk refused to comment.
The students are facing charges of violation of civil rights resulting in an injury, criminal harassment, disturbance of a school assembly, and possible stalking. Some students accused of participating in the bullying have been disciplined by the school and have been expelled. Senior students Chadwick Anderson and Troy List have been charged with the rape of Jennifer Cast. The case is still under investigation, and there may be additional charges.

CYBER-BULLIED - YA Contemporary novel with dual male and female perspectives.

Not sure I get this, lake. A synopsis?

I'm afraid this is way off the wall for a synopsis. It's a gimmick that doesn't work. There's a single purpose for a synopsis. A complete summary of the entire novel, beginning, middle and end.

There is a standard format to news reporting. If you're going to use a journalistic approach to delivering information, you need to be darn sure you nail it. I don't think this is a good idea in a synopsis - or a query! - and in any event, you're got some fundamental grammatical issues in this.

Are you in immediate need for a synopsis? If so, there's no easy way to do it. It's like having your teeth cleaned. But I strongly suggest avoiding gimmicks and just summarize the story, chapter after chapter.

Robb Grindstaff has a superb article in the LIBRARY (that lonely library!) which I believe is titles "What's Your Book About?" It gives you a sure-fire process for distilling your novel into long-medium-short synopses, query and elevator pitch.

Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#8 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

Thanks - I was rushed; read the article, will take time to do it right this time!
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#9 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Prologue May: News article reports teen suicide with a possible cause of cyber-bullying; teen is not identified. August prior to news report: Seventeen-year-old Melinda and Jen are junior’s who want to change their social status. They attend a party expected to gain popularity.

At the party, Mel gets trashed,and Jen talks to a childhood friend deemed fag and loser. Kevin and Jen reminisce about grade school when the unexpected happens. Kevin is pushed and falls on top of Jen. Cell phones reveal Kevin kissing a not resisting Jen.

Jen wakes the next day to find a video of her and Kevin together on her cell phone. Her best friend Mel has a hangover claiming she doesn’t remembering a thing. Kevin is just glad he wasn’t beaten up and wonders if he has found the perfect girl.

As the school year continues, Jen’s naked picture shows up on the school’s website with the caption, “Give it to me Kevin.” Students call her slut, whore, bitch. Mel doesn’t want to be seen in public with her. Kevin is on an all time high being deemed a Sex God due to Jen’s picture.

Jen starts ditching classes and sees her world as a series of movie clips with her being the main character. Worried, Jen’s mom takes her to the doctor only to hear that her daughter has probably had sex and is just a moody teen.

Jen tries to find refuge by going to her favorite childhood park. She is step up by Mel and popular boys Troy and Chad who rape her. After the rape, Mel takes Jen home. Mel realizes the damage she contributed to and helps Jen. She leaves feeling the severe blame and guilt of the rape.

When Mel confronts Troy, her boyfriend. Kevin overhears the conversation. He sees Mel’s finger nails dig deep into her thighs and notices her tears along with her boyfriend’s anger. Kevin doesn’t want to get involved, he’s a sex god, his reputation is at stake.

When Kevin goes to a party with the head cheerleader Carrie, Jen starts to scorch herself in hot water to purify herself. Mom takes her to the ER, dad scoffs in saying there is nothing wrong with his daughter. The head doctor notices Jen’s raw face and suggests she stay in the psych ward over night. Dad will not have it and takes his daughter home.

At a party, Carrie takes Kevin up to a bedroom and teases him, she leaves as Kevin sits naked on the bed with only a comforter on. Carrie returns with several students taking pictures of Kevin telling him to just shoot himself. At the same party, Mel is forced to call up Jen and tell her to look on a website. Mel is seen crying and being shoved around by Troy. Troy tells Mel if she doesn’t have Jen look at the sight, he will show everyone whose body was pasted on Jen’s picture – Mel’s.

Jen, being addicted to the internet and cell phone, receives the call and goes on line. Troy has posted a blog of the top whores that go to Lakeside; Jen is number one. Jen can’t take it anymore and takes sleeping pills to end her life. Kevin is struggling to get out of the room and is thinking of shooting himself. Two days later, Mr. Cast comes to Kevin’s house and announces that Jen over dosed and had her stomach pumped. Both Kevin and Mr. Cast are surprised to hear the news of Melinda’s suicide.

Jen wakes up to find a tube coming out of mouth, her hands strapped down and her brother staring at her. The nurses tell her parents that she has to go to a psychiatric hospital and cannot be dismissed. Jen finds out about Mel’s death and doesn’t know what to think. At the psychic hospital, Jen is given too much medication on her first night and begins to see spiders. She is put in an isolated room. Kevin attends Mel’s funeral only to be laughed at by classmates. Mr. Cast joins him and commits to getting to the bottom of the cyber-bullying case.

Year later, Jen is packing up for college. Kevin has moved away but shows up at Jen’s house to say good-bye. They end as friends. News article reports of the charges being brought towards students and the school for rape, and cyber-bullying.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#10 arbraun

arbraun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have twelve short publications, and if I can't find an agent, I'm going to start self-publishing my novels.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:19 PM

I agree with the Nut Cracker. A synopsis has to tell the whole story, have flawless grammar and syntax and have a beginning, middle, and an end.

I like the beginning, but I'd take out the "Prologue May" and "August prior to news report" bit. That doesn't make sense to me. I'd just say, "A news article reports a teen suicide with a possible cause of cyber-bullying, but the teen is not identified."

For example, this sentence: "Her best friend Mel has a hangover claiming she doesn’t remembering a thing." The way it's written, it sounds as if the hangover claims not to remember a thing. Start off the sentence with the participle: "Claiming she doesn't remember a thing, her best friend Mel..." And this: “Give it to me Kevin.” You need a comma before "Kevin." Then this: "Jen starts ditching classes and sees her world as a series of movie clips with her being the main character." I'd say "as," not "being." There's more: "At a party, Carrie takes Kevin up to a bedroom and teases him, she leaves as Kevin sits naked on the bed with only a comforter on." I think you meant "...and she leaves..." And more: "Troy tells Mel if she doesn’t have Jen look at the sight,..." You meant "site."

There are many more examples: "online" instead of "on line," "overdosed" instead of "over dosed." The last paragraph reads awkwardly as a bunch of non-stop, short and choppy sentences. And the end, I'd change to: "A news article reports the charges..."

Like the Nut Cracker said, take a while a hack at this.

Hope this helps.

#11 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 11 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Cyber-Bullied:
Prelude: May (10 months prior to the first chapter) News article stating a teen’s suicide with cyber-bullying the probable cause. No identity is given.

Melinda is a seventeen year old with a secret, she’s a cutter. She gets a rush every time she feels pain, especially the self inflected kind. To get her parents off her back, Melinda is friends with Jen, an A student with low self esteem. Together they go to a party that will ruin their junior year. When Melinda gets trashed and is stepped on by the school’s loser Kevin Balling, Mel wants to get even. As she stumbles along trying to find the bathroom , Jen starts talks to Kevin. By accident, Kevin falls on top of Jen revealing him kissing her. Cell phone cameras catch all the action.

With Jen being called Kevin’s girlfriend, Mel attaches herself to Jen’s dream boy Troy. Troy has a different agenda planned for Mel. He talks Mel into sexting him only to super impose Jen’s face to Mel’s naked body. He posts it on schools web page with a tag line reading, “Give it to me Kevin.” Mel is horrified and tries to gain control through cutting. Jen’s world starts to resemble a horror flick in which she is the main character.

Kevin is the winner in this “joke.” He becomes the school’s sex god and is invited to parties, hangs out with the elite crowd and finally, dates the head cheerleader.

Mel needs relief but the cuts don’t give it to her anymore. As Jen sinks deeper into an emotional overload, she ditches school only to call Mel. She asks Mel to come and pick her up the park. After Troy finds out that Mel has aided Jen by picking her up, he pressures her into texting Jen. Troy wants Mel to lead Jen to the park in exchange for not showing her mom the sexts.

Jen thinks she is getting her friend back and agrees to meet Mel. Reaching the park, Jen finds Troy and another boy are there. Her brain goes wild, she becomes delusional. The boys rape her then head back to school leaving Jen naked. Mel arrives at the park and collects a weak Jen taking her home. Mel helps Jen as much as she can, but the guilt of knowing this happened because of her actions eat at her.

Before going back to school, Mel tries to get the nerve up to confront Troy. As she tries to talk to him, Kevin watches from a distance noting how Mel digs her finger nails into her thigh. Troy dismisses Mel with a hard kiss, saying that she better obey him or else. Meanwhile, Kevin has a hot date with the cheerleader that promises him his virgin status will be gone.

Jen’s mom comes home from work to find Jen with a bloody face in a puddle of tears. With the help of her brother, Jen is being taken to the ER. After a long wait, the doctor tells the family that Jen needs to be put in a psych ward overnight for evaluation. Jen’s father doesn’t gets angry, and takes his princess home.

Troy has one last deed for Mel. Text Jen and tell her to go on a blog. Mel won’t and throws her cell at Troy leaving him alone at a party. At the same party, Kevin is lured into a bedroom and asked to take his pants off while his cheerleader girlfriend gets something from downstairs. Kevin wonders if it is a condom. She comes in with several other peers who throw his pants out the window and tell him to just shoot himself now.

Jen gets Mel’s text even though it is from Troy. She goes to the blog and reads that she is the number one slut of the school. Pictures are shown of her from the rape. She can’t take it anymore.

All three characters want to die. One character succeeds by hanging. Another character OD’s only to wake up in the hospital. The third character wakes up at home hating the world.

The story ends with a news article stating that the cyber-bullies will go to court and be accounted for their actions. The two remaining characters say good-bye to each other while heading off to start a new life as college freshman.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#12 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

Cyber-Bullied:
Prelude: May (10 months prior to the first chapter) News article stating a teen’s suicide with cyber-bullying the probable cause. No identity is given.

Melinda is a seventeen year old with a secret, she’s a cutter. She gets a rush every time she feels pain, especially the self inflected kind. To get her parents off her back, Melinda is friends with Jen, an A student with low self esteem. Together they go to a party that will ruin their junior year. When Melinda gets trashed and is stepped on by the school’s loser Kevin Balling, Mel wants to get revenge. As she stumbles along trying to find the bathroom , Jen starts talks to Kevin. By accident, Kevin falls on top of Jen revealing him kissing her. Cell phone cameras catch all the action.

With Jen being called Kevin’s girlfriend, Mel attaches herself to Jen’s dream boy Troy. Troy has a different agenda planned for Mel. He talks Mel into sexting him only to super impose Jen’s face to Mel’s naked body. He posts the picture on schools web page with a tag line reading, “Give it to me Kevin.” Mel is horrified and tries to gain control through cutting. Jen’s world starts to resemble a horror flick in which she is the main character.

For now, Kevin is the winner in this “joke.” He becomes the school’s sex god and is invited to parties, hangs out with the elite crowd and finally, dates the head cheerleader.

Mel needs relief but the cuts don’t transfer her pain anymore. As Jen sinks deeper into an emotional overload, she ditches school only to call Mel. She asks Mel to come and pick her up a park. After Troy finds out that Mel has aided Jen, he pressures her into texting Jen. Troy wants Mel to lead Jen to the park in exchange for not showing her mom the sexts.

Jen thinks she is getting her friend back and agrees to meet Mel. Reaching the park, Jen finds Troy and another boy there. Her brain goes wild, she becomes delusional. The boys rape her then head back to school leaving Jen naked. Mel arrives at the park and collects a weak Jen and takes her home. Mel helps Jen as much as she can, but the guilt of knowing this happened because of her actions eat away at her soul.

Before going back to school, Mel tries to get the nerve up to confront Troy. As she tries to talk to him, Kevin watches from a distance noting how Mel digs her finger nails into her thigh. Troy dismisses Mel with a hard kiss, saying that she better obey him or else. Meanwhile, Kevin has a hot date with the cheerleader that promises him his virgin status will be gone.

Jen’s mom comes home from work to find Jen with a bloody face in a puddle of tears. With the help of her brother, Jen is being taken to the ER. After a long wait, the doctor tells the family that Jen needs to be put in a psych ward overnight for evaluation. Jen’s father doesn’t agree and takes his princess home.

At a party, Troy has one last deed for Mel. She must text Jen and tell her to go on a blog. Mel throws her cell at Troy leaving him alone at the party. At the same party, Kevin is lured into a bedroom and asked to take off his pants while his cheerleader girlfriend gets something from downstairs. Kevin wonders if it is a condom. She comes in with several other peers who throw his pants out the window and tell him to just shoot himself.

Jen gets Mel’s text even though it is from Troy. She goes to the blog and reads that she is the number one slut of the school. Pictures are shown of her, she can’t take it anymore.

All three characters want to die. One character succeeds by hanging. Another character OD’s only to wake up in the hospital. The third character wakes up at home hating the world. The two surviving characters come together and realize that life is worth living, they have events to look forward to and want to live.

The story ends with a news article stating that the cyber-bullies will go to court and be accounted for their actions. The two remaining characters say good-bye to each other while heading off to start a new life as college freshman.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#13 scubasteve4

scubasteve4

Gone Writing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel BATTERY BROTHERS is due out with Elephant's Bookshelf Press on March 30, 2014.

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

Sounds like a good read. I only have a minute, so I just made a few grammar suggestions. Good luck with it.

Melinda is a seventeen year old (seventeen-year-old) with a secret, (use “:” here. Otherwise, it’s a comma slice) she’s a cutter. She gets a rush every time she feels pain, especially the self inflected (self-inflicted) kind. To get her parents off her back, Melinda is friends with Jen, an A student with low self esteem (self-esteem). Together they go to a party that will ruin their junior year. When Melinda gets trashed and is stepped on by the school’s loser Kevin Balling, Mel wants to get revenge. As she stumbles along trying to find the bathroom (delete extra space), Jen starts talks to Kevin. By accident, Kevin falls on top of Jen revealing him kissing her. Cell phone cameras catch all the action.

With Jen being called Kevin’s girlfriend, Mel attaches herself to (Troy), Jen’s dream boy. Troy has a different agenda planned for Mel. He talks Mel into sexting him only to super impose (superimpose) Jen’s face to Mel’s naked body. He posts the picture on schools web page with a tag line (delete) “Give it to me Kevin.” Mel is horrified and tries to gain control through cutting. Jen’s world starts to resemble a horror flick in which she is the main character.

For now, Kevin is the winner in this “joke.” He becomes the school’s sex god and is invited to parties, hangs out with the elite crowd and finally, dates the head cheerleader.

Mel needs relief (comma) but the cuts don’t transfer her pain anymore. As Jen sinks deeper into an emotional overload, she ditches school only to call Mel. She asks Mel to come and pick her up a (at the) park. After Troy finds out that Mel has aided Jen, he pressures her into texting Jen. Troy wants Mel to lead Jen to the park in exchange for not showing her mom the sexts.

Jen thinks she is getting her friend back and agrees to meet Mel. Reaching the park, Jen finds Troy and another boy there. Her brain goes wild (--) she becomes delusional. The boys rape her (comma) then head back to school leaving Jen naked. Mel arrives at the park and collects a weak Jen and takes her home. Mel helps Jen as much as she can, but the guilt of knowing this happened because of her actions eat away at her soul.

Before going back to school, Mel tries to get the nerve up to confront Troy. As she tries to talk to him, Kevin watches from a distance noting how Mel digs her finger nails (fingernails) into her thigh. Troy dismisses Mel with a hard kiss, saying that she better obey him or else. Meanwhile, Kevin has a hot date with the cheerleader that promises him his virgin status will be gone.

Jen’s mom comes home from work to find Jen with a bloody face in a puddle of tears. With the help of her brother, Jen is being taken to the ER. After a long wait, the doctor tells the family that Jen needs to be put in a psych ward overnight for evaluation. Jen’s father doesn’t agree and takes his princess home.

At a party, Troy has one last deed for Mel. She must text Jen and tell her to go on a blog. Mel throws her cell at Troy leaving him alone at the party. At the same party, Kevin is lured into a bedroom and asked to take off his pants while his cheerleader girlfriend gets something from downstairs. Kevin wonders if it is a condom. She comes in with several other peers who throw his pants out the window and tell him to just shoot himself.

Jen gets Mel’s text even though it is from Troy. She goes to the blog and reads that she is the number one slut of the school. Pictures are shown of her, (comma splice) she can’t take it anymore.

All three characters want to die. One character succeeds by hanging. Another character OD’s only to wake up in the hospital. The third character wakes up at home hating the world. The two surviving characters come together and realize that life is worth living, (comma splice again. Use semi or period and start new sentence) they have events to look forward to and want to live.

http://www.stevencarman.com

BatteryBros3.jpg

Published: March 30, 2014
Elephant's Bookshelf Press

#14 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

Melinda is a seventeen-year-old with a secret: she’s a cutter. She gets a rush every time she feels pain, especially the self-inflicted kind. To get her parents off her back, Melinda is friends with Jen, an A student with low self-esteem. Together they go to a party that will ruin their junior year. When Melinda gets trashed and is stepped on by the school’s loser Kevin Balling, Mel wants to get revenge. As she stumbles along trying to find the bathroom, Jen starts talks to Kevin. By accident, Kevin falls on top of Jen revealing him kissing her. Cell phone cameras catch all the action.

With Jen being Kevin’s so-called girlfriend, Mel attaches herself to Troy, Jen’s dream boy. Troy has a different agenda planned for Mel. He talks Mel into sexting him only to superimpose Jen’s face to Mel’s naked body. He posts the picture on school’s web page with the tag line: “Give it to me Kevin.” Mel is horrified and tries to gain control through cutting. Jen’s world starts to resemble a horror flick in which she is the main character.

For now, Kevin is the winner in this “joke.” He becomes the school’s sex god and is invited to parties, hangs out with the elite crowd and dates the head cheerleader.

Mel needs relief, but the cuts don’t transfer her pain anymore. As Jen sinks deeper into an emotional overload, she ditches school only to call Mel. She asks Mel to come and pick her up at the park. After Troy finds out that Mel has aided Jen, he pressures her into texting Jen. Troy wants Mel to lead Jen to the park in exchange for not showing her mom the sexts.

Jen thinks she is getting her friend back and agrees to meet Mel. Reaching the park, Jen finds Troy and another boy there. Her brain goes wild -- she becomes delusional. The boys rape her, and head back to school leaving Jen naked. Mel arrives at the park, collects a weak Jen and takes her home. She helps Jen as much as she can; however, the guilt of knowing this happened due to her actions eats away at her soul.

Before going back to school, Mel tries to get the nerve up to confront Troy. As she talks to him, Kevin watches from a distance noticing how Mel digs her fingernails into her thigh. Troy dismisses Mel with a hard kiss, saying that she better obey him or else. Meanwhile, Kevin has a hot date with the cheerleader who promises him that his virgin status will be gone.

Jen’s mom comes home from work to find her with a bloody raw face in a puddle of tears. With the help of her brother, Jen is being taken to the ER. After a long wait, the doctor tells the family that Jen needs to be put in a psych ward overnight for evaluation. Her father doesn’t agree and takes his princess home.

At a party, Troy has one last deed for Mel. She must text Jen and tell her to go on Troy’s blog. Mel throws her cell at Troy leaving him alone. At the same party, Kevin is lured into a bedroom and asked to take off his pants while his “girlfriend” gets something from downstairs. Kevin wonders if it is a condom. She comes in with several other peers who throw his pants out the window and tell him to just shoot himself. Jen gets Mel’s text even though it is from Troy. She goes to the blog and reads that she is the number one slut of the school. Naked pictures of Jen are posted; she cannot take it anymore.

All three characters want to die. One character succeeds by hanging. Another character OD’s only to wake up in the hospital. The third character wakes up at home hating the world. The two surviving characters come together and realize that life is worth living. They mourn the loss of their friend; look forward to college and growing up. The story ends with a news article stating that the cyber-bullies have been caught and are being prosecuted.
[/font]
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#15 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Cyber-Bullied: 17-year-old Mel has a secret: she’s a cutter. To get her parents off her back, Mel is friends with Jen, an A student with low self-esteem. Together they go to a party that will ruin their junior year.

When Mel is trashed, the school’s loser, Kevin steps on her feet breaking her shoes. As Mel stumbles to find a bathroom, Jen starts talking to Kevin. Kevin accidentally falls on Jen and seizes the moment to kiss her. Cell phone cameras catch all the action. To get revenge on Kevin and Jen, Mel attaches herself to Troy, Jen’s dream boy.

Troy has another plan for Mel. He talks Mel into sexting him only to superimpose Jen’s face to Mel’s naked body. He posts the picture on the school district’s web-page with the tag line: “Give it to me, Kevin.”

For now, Kevin is the winner in this “joke.” He becomes the school’s sex god is invited to parties, hangs out with the elite crowd and dates the head cheerleader.

Mel is caught between her conscious and Troy. If she doesn’t do everything Troy tells her, then he will show the sexts and reveal that she is a cutter. She is told to have Jen show up at the park the next day.

Jen thinks she is getting her friend back and agrees to meet Mel. Reaching the park, Jen finds Troy and another popular boy. The boys rape her and leave her stranded.

Mel arrives after at the park, collects a weak, naked Jen and takes her home. She offers to call 911, but Jen refuses. Mel guides her into the house and cleans her up. The guilt of knowing this happened due to her actions eat away at her soul. No amount of cutting will transfer the pain.

Kevin watches from a distant as Mel tries talking to Troy. He sees how Mel digs her fingernails into her thigh and watches as her legs become a bloody mess. Kevin doesn’t know what to say or do. He is afraid of losing his new found status.
Jen’s mom comes home to find her daughter in a puddle of tears and blood. Jen is taken to the ER. After a long wait, the doctor tells the family that Jen needs to be in a psychiatric ward for an overnight observation. Her father does not agree and takes her home.

At a party, Troy has one last deed for Mel. She must text Jen and tell her to go on Troy’s blog. Mel throws her cell phone at Troy and leaves. At the same party, Kevin is lured into a bedroom and asked to take his pants off while his “girlfriend” gets something from downstairs. She enters the room with several other teens who tell Kevin that he should go home and shoot himself.
All three characters consider suicide. One character succeeds; one character ends up in the hospital, the third wakes up hating life. The hospitalized teen is required to stay in a psychiatric hospital for an evolution and counseling. The surviving teens come together as they head off to college. Both are scared but excited to see what the future holds.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#16 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:11 PM

News Article: May – N.Y. Police are investigating a teen suicide with possible ties of cyber-bullying. Police have not released the name or gender of the teen to protect the family.

August – Nine months early: Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast is getting ready for a party with her best friend Haley. Jen is nervous, but wants to change her status from geek to popular like her friend Haley. In Jen’s mind, Haley is perfect; she has only one flaw, she cuts. Both girls are addicted to their phones and internet.

At the party, Haley gets stepped on by the class loser Kevin Balling and runs off to get drunk. Jen is left talking to Kevin whom she went to grade school with and played tag with at recess. By accident, Kevin is shoved onto Jen and they end up on the floor. Cell phone camera’s catch the action. Pictures of Kevin on top of Jen circulate through the school. Jen can’t help but ditch classes and starts taking long showers to make herself pure. Her mind is playing tricks on her holding conversations in her head that she can’t stop.

Halloween - Jen wakes up to find that her face has been photo shopped to a naked picture and is on the school’s website with a tag line that reads “Give it to me Kevin.” Jen becomes the slut of the school. The shower become a safe haven where the water is making her face raw and red. At one point she is even bleeding.

Jen’s worried mother takes her to the doctor. By now, Jen sees her world from outside herself. She watches herself as if she was in a horror movie. The doctor only sees Jen as a topical teenage obsessed with showers. He gives Jen a prescription and suggests to the mother that Jen’s behavior is typical for a girl who’s having sex.

April - Jen returns to her childhood park in hopes to regain herself. Upon seeing the word slut, her mind slips away from her and she is left calling Haley to pick her up. Haley has been dating a boy that Jen likes for months but goes to help Jen. On a text message, Halley tells Jen to meet her at the park the next day. When Jen arrives, Haley’s boyfriend and another boy rap her.

May - Jen decides to end her life by taking sleeping pills. She is found alive by her brother and rushed to the hospital for overdosing. At the hospital, she learns that her friend Haley committed suicide and was pressured into the sexting naked pictures of herself with Jen’s head. Haley’s body was founded with multiple cuts. Jen is then taken to a psychiatric hospital where she will recover.

Months later, she is getting ready for college and Kevin comes by the house. The two talk about Haley’s death and say good-bye.

News article reports the suicide and holds the school along with several kids responsible.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#17 Sharon Bayliss

Sharon Bayliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I have been published in small press magazines such as Nerve Cowboy.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:51 AM

News Article: May – N.Y. Police are investigating a teen suicide with possible ties of cyber-bullying. Police have not released the name or gender of the teen to protect the family.

August – Nine months early:
the previous line is a nice hook, but I think a synopsis should be strictly chronological Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast is getting ready for a party with her best friend Haley. Jen is nervous, but wants to change her status from geek to popular like her friend Haley. In Jen’s mind, Haley is perfect; she has only one flaw, she cuts. Both girls are addicted to their phones and internet. has more punch to end it with the cutting; an addiction to phones and internet is a given

At the party, Haley gets stepped on by the class loser Kevin Balling and runs off to get drunk. Jen is left talking to Kevin whom she went to grade school with and played tag with at recess. By accident, Kevin is shoved onto Jen and they end up on the floor. Cell phone camera’s catch the action. Pictures of Kevin on top of Jen circulate through the school. Jen can’t help but ditch classes and starts taking long showers to make herself pure. Are there any details we are missing? Why would Jen react so strongly? It sounds like she would be really embarassed and ditch classes, but with the long showers she's acting like the was sexually assaulted. Her mind is playing tricks on her holding conversations in her head that she can’t stop.

Halloween - Jen wakes up to find that her face has been photo shopped to a naked picture and is on the school’s website with a tag line that reads “Give it to me Kevin.” Jen becomes the slut of the school. The shower become a safe haven where the water is making her face raw and red. At one point she is even bleeding. This sounds more upsetting, maybe you could save the shower detail for this paragraph.

Jen’s worried mother takes her to the doctor. By now, Jen sees her world from outside herself. She watches herself as if she was in a horror movie. I delete these lines which reference her emotion because they seem too vague to me. Details like showering until she is raw are better The doctor only sees Jen as a topical teenage obsessed with showers. He gives Jen a prescription and suggests to the mother that Jen’s behavior is typical for a girl who’s having sex.

April - Jen returns to her childhood park in hopes to regain herself. Upon seeing the word slut, her mind slips away from her and she is left calling Haley to pick her up. Haley has been dating a boy that Jen likes for months but goes to help Jen. On a text message, Halley tells Jen to meet her at the park the next day. When Jen arrives, Haley’s boyfriend and another boy rap[e] her.

May - Jen decides to end her life by taking sleeping pills. She is found alive by her brother and rushed to the hospital for overdosing. At the hospital, she learns that her friend Haley committed suicide and was pressured into the sexting naked pictures of herself with Jen’s head. Haley’s body was founded with multiple cuts. Jen is then taken to a psychiatric hospital where she will recover.

Months later, she is getting ready for college and Kevin comes by the house. The two talk about Haley’s death and say good-bye.

News article reports the suicide and holds the school along with several kids responsible.

Hi Lake,

It sounds like a sad but interesting story. You did a good job of keeping it concise! That is no easy task. I had no trouble following the plot. I made some comments in the text. I also don't think you need the months. That's not a common thing to do in synopses and it works fine without them.

Good luck!

#18 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Sharon, your wisdom is much appreciated!

Lake
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#19 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Prologue: Nine months later – news article reports death of a teen with police investigating. News article appears throughout the novel revealing more details from the case.
Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast is getting ready for a party with her best friend Liz. Jen is nervous, but wants to change her status from geek to popular like her friend. In Jen’s mind, Liz is perfect; she has only one flaw, she cuts.
At the party, Liz is stepped on by the class loser Kevin Balling and runs off to get drunk. Jen is left talking to Kevin whom she went to grade school with and played tag with at recess. By accident, Kevin is shoved onto Jen and they end up on the floor. Cell phone camera’s catch the action. Pictures of Kevin on top of Jen circulate through the school. It appears that everyone has Kevin on top of Jen on his or her cell phone as well as the internet. Jen is said to be going out with the loser which makes her a loser too. She can’t help but ditch classes.
Jen wakes up to find that her face has been photo shopped to a naked picture and is on the school’s website with the tag line: “Give it to me Kevin 8.” Jen becomes known as the slut of the school. The shower becomes a safe haven where the water is making her face raw and red. At one point, she is even bleeding.
By now, Jen hears voices inside her head telling her that she is a slut, a whore, a loser. Her mind is trapped inside a horror flick where there is no escape. Jen’s worried mother takes her to the doctor. The doctor only sees Jen as a topical teenage obsessed with showers. He gives Jen a prescription and suggests to the mother that Jen’s behavior is typical for a girl who’s having sex. Each person Jen knows is playing a character in her movie while she watches from above the scene.
Jen returns to her childhood park in hopes to regain herself. Upon seeing the word slut, her mind slips away from her and she is left calling her RLF to pick her up. Her real life friend Liz has been dating a boy that Jen likes for months but picks her up out of pity. On a text message, Liz tells Jen to meet her at the park the next day. When Jen arrives, Liz’s boyfriend and another boy rape her. When Liz arrives to help Jen, she finds Jen naked. Liz had no idea her boyfriend Josh would do this and tries to stand up for Jen. Instead, the boyfriend gets the cell phone and posts pictures of Jen on a blog.
Jen decides to end her life by taking sleeping pills. She is found alive by her brother and rushed to the hospital. Waking up after having her stomach pumped, she learns that her friend Liz hung herself and was pressured into the sexting naked pictures of herself with Jen’s head. Liz’s body is founded with multiple cuts; her memorial webpage is trashed by students. Upon release of the hospital, Jen attends a psychiatric hospital where she will slowly recover.
Months later, she is getting ready for college and Kevin comes by the house. The two talk about Liz’s death and say good-bye.

Prologue: Nine months later – news article reports death of a teen with police investigating. News article appears throughout the novel revealing more details from the case.
Seventeen-year-old Jennifer Cast is getting ready for a party with her best friend Liz. Jen is nervous, but wants to change her status from geek to popular like her friend. In Jen’s mind, Liz is perfect; she has only one flaw, she cuts.
At the party, Liz is stepped on by the class loser Kevin Balling and runs off to get drunk. Jen is left talking to Kevin whom she went to grade school with and played tag with at recess. By accident, Kevin is shoved onto Jen and they end up on the floor. Cell phone camera’s catch the action. Pictures of Kevin on top of Jen circulate through the school. It appears that everyone has Kevin on top of Jen on his or her cell phone as well as the internet. Jen is said to be going out with the loser which makes her a loser too. She can’t help but ditch classes.
Jen wakes up to find that her face has been photo shopped to a naked picture and is on the school’s website with the tag line: “Give it to me Kevin 8.” Jen becomes known as the slut of the school. The shower becomes a safe haven where the water is making her face raw and red. At one point, she is even bleeding.
By now, Jen hears voices inside her head telling her that she is a slut, a whore, a loser. Her mind is trapped inside a horror flick where there is no escape. Jen’s worried mother takes her to the doctor. The doctor only sees Jen as a topical teenage obsessed with showers. He gives Jen a prescription and suggests to the mother that Jen’s behavior is typical for a girl who’s having sex. Each person Jen knows is playing a character in her movie while she watches from above the scene.
Jen returns to her childhood park in hopes to regain herself. Upon seeing the word slut, her mind slips away from her and she is left calling her RLF to pick her up. Her real life friend Liz has been dating a boy that Jen likes for months but picks her up out of pity. On a text message, Liz tells Jen to meet her at the park the next day. When Jen arrives, Liz’s boyfriend and another boy rape her. When Liz arrives to help Jen, she finds Jen naked. Liz had no idea her boyfriend Josh would do this and tries to stand up for Jen. Instead, the boyfriend gets the cell phone and posts pictures of Jen on a blog.
Jen decides to end her life by taking sleeping pills. She is found alive by her brother and rushed to the hospital. Waking up after having her stomach pumped, she learns that her friend Liz hung herself and was pressured into the sexting naked pictures of herself with Jen’s head. Liz’s body is founded with multiple cuts; her memorial webpage is trashed by students. Upon release of the hospital, Jen attends a psychiatric hospital where she will slowly recover.
Months later, she is getting ready for college and Kevin comes by the house. The two talk about Liz’s death and say good-bye.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

#20 lake

lake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

At the party, Liz is stepped on by the class loser Kevin Balling and runs off to get drunk. Jen is left talking to Kevin whom she went to grade school with and played tag with at recess. By accident, Kevin is shoved onto Jen and they end up on the floor. Cell phone camera’s catch the action. Pictures of Kevin on top of Jen circulate through the school. It appears that everyone has Kevin on top of Jen on his or her cell phone as well as the internet. Jen is said to be going out with the loser which makes her a loser too. She can’t help but ditch class and hid in the bathroom stalls.

On Halloween, Jen wakes up to find that her face has been photo shopped to a naked picture and is on the school’s website with the tag line: “Give it to me Kevin 8.” Jen becomes known as the slut of the school. The shower becomes a safe haven where the water is making her face raw and red. At one point, she is even bleeding.

In the spring, Jen returns to her childhood park in hopes to regain herself. Upon seeing the word slut, her mind slips away from her and she is left calling her RLF to pick her up. Her real life friend Liz has been dating a boy that Jen likes for months but picks her up out of pity. On a text message, Liz tells Jen to meet her at the park the next day. When Jen arrives, Liz’s boyfriend and another boy rape her. When Liz arrives to help Jen, she finds Jen naked. Liz had no idea her boyfriend Josh would do this and tries to stand up for Jen. Instead, the boyfriend gets the cell phone and posts pictures of Jen on a blog.

Jen decides to end her life by taking sleeping pills. She is found alive by her brother and rushed to the hospital. Waking up after having her stomach pumped, she learns that her friend Liz hung herself and was pressured into the sexting naked pictures of herself with Jen’s head. Liz’s body is founded with multiple cuts; her memorial webpage is trashed by students.

Upon release of the hospital, Jen attends a psychiatric hospital where she will slowly recover.
[quote][list=1]

[list]

[/list]

[/list][/quote]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users