Jaé D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:unpublished

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have been longing to find out information about the paranormal genre, but everywhere I look, it's linked under paranormal romance. Except here. Thank you for creating a forum that separates paranormal from romance. I'm writing a novel that I feel comes under the paranormal heading, but it's not a romance novel. It's about the dead and demons, yet it's not a horror tale. There are romantic elements, but that is not the crux of the story.

I felt so displaced before, until here. I hope to learn from you all.

Thanks.
I'm not the only one who has had this experience, I hope. And I mean not to offend any romantic writers.

Jaé D.

#2 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I have several short stories published with online magazines such as Bewildering Stories and Aphelion, and part of the 7DS anthology SLAYERS. I have six books in a paranormal series self-published, and as of 2015, I write articles for Gaiam TV. See my blog for more details.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat.

Welcome to AQC!

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg demonthumbnail.jpg 4311642f-9dfa-4c08-ac6d-a6979476c6ce.jpg

3e1a6d8e-6529-475b-b08d-34d575e93531.jpg

#3 Sherry_Soule

Sherry_Soule

Sherry Soule, Freelance Editor and Published Author

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Freelance Fiction Editor and Published Author. I write thrilling tales of romance and suspense, often mingled with a dash of the mystical and a splash of trendy fashion.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Souns like it is an Urban Fantasy. :-D

The main difference between horror, paranormal/ romance and UF is plot. Urban Fantasy stories involve mystery and action. The characters are mostly concerned with achieving a goal (such as finishing a job, helping a friend, or in some cases simply surviving). There are often romantic subplots, but they aren’t the main focus of the book.

Often, but not always, urban fantasy novels are written in first person while paranormal romances are written in third person, balanced between the hero, the heroine, and possibly an antagonist or subplot character(s). Also, for urban fantasy, supernatural elements tend to be more ominous, whereas in paranormal romance, the supernatural is typically more intriguing and alluring. There may be a love interest, but it is subtle and may build over the course of the series.

Urban fantasy is fantasy that is set in a modern, urban environment (for example, San Francisco, California, or even some made up town) and it can contain any and all paranormal or fantasy elements (such as vampires, weres, shifters, demons, etc). But in urban fantasy, romance and romantic entanglements are not the main plot element, though they are often present as a sub-plot.

Horror novels aims to create a sense of fear, panic, alarm, and dread for the reader.

Hope this helps!

Keep reading,

~Sherry Soule

| Amazon Page | Twitter | Fiction Services | Goodreads | Facebook

#4 starwriter

starwriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:25 published magazine articles
    Book of Poetry
    Ezines
    Anthologies

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

i suggest you read Writing the Paranormal Novel by Steven Harper. This book will help you a lot. It is all about writing the very type of book you are talking about. My WIP is a paranormal novel and the romance is the subplot. I really recommend the book, that and reading a lot of novels in your genre might help too. 

#5 SnowGlobe

SnowGlobe

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I had a couple things published as a child and have not attempted to publish since then. Right now I am just getting back into writing and I am really only at the stage of finding critique partners and beta readers.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

One of my favourite shows is Supernatural, and it is a bromance not romance ;) The problem is teenage girls love the idea of being singled out by an otherworldly being. They like the idea of being singled out, period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users