74 replies to this topic

#21 INCspot

INCspot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Japan Studies Review - published an essay, "Heroes & Villains of the East" (2010)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

It's great to hear the encouragement from those of you who have been on the site for longer than us newbies. Keep up the encouragement, we need it!

Agreed. I was very nervous about critiquing someone else's query, because my own, even though I put a great deal of effort into it, could still use quite the scourging. I appreciate the encouragement to speak up.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

Dream, Neil Gaiman's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

#22 Diving in the deep end

Diving in the deep end

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, media
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I just wanted to add, in case you need more encouragement to critique other queries, that helping other people really helped my own query too. The first critique I gave made me feel like a total hack. If mine is so bad, how could I possibly help anyone make theirs better? What if someone listens to me and their query gets worse!! I think I spent 30 minutes editing my first response. BUT while I was helping on someone else's query, what I was screwing up in my own query clicked. Granted it still needed (maybe still needs) a ton more editing to perfect it, but it is always easier to see what's wrong when you read work that you are not as emotionally invested in.

Plus it's been fun reading about all of these great books that will hopefully be hitting the shelves the same time that mine is!

#23 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

I just wanted to add, in case you need more encouragement to critique other queries, that helping other people really helped my own query too. The first critique I gave made me feel like a total hack. If mine is so bad, how could I possibly help anyone make theirs better? What if someone listens to me and their query gets worse!! I think I spent 30 minutes editing my first response. BUT while I was helping on someone else's query, what I was screwing up in my own query clicked. Granted it still needed (maybe still needs) a ton more editing to perfect it, but it is always easier to see what's wrong when you read work that you are not as emotionally invested in.

Plus it's been fun reading about all of these great books that will hopefully be hitting the shelves the same time that mine is!

Exactly! This is the great thing about critiquing.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#24 MHB

MHB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None- YET!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

So agree!!!! first time I critiqued I was like WHO AM I TO GIVE ADVICE. But it strengthened my own voice.
Happy to be in the world of a WIP with you all.
Xx

#25 Darlene Bernaola M

Darlene Bernaola M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Writer.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I am new here, and I think this is an amazing tool. Looking forward in meating everyone.

#26 M. Arthur Stone

M. Arthur Stone

Aspiring for Ignorance

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:1st Book went 3 determined rounds, but alas no taker. My second book, according to my agent, was too scary. My 3rd book, a YA, is going out on submission.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I check the Critiques regularly and find, lately anyway, most seem to be Fantasy, CI-Fi, or YA...and i just don't get those genres. It's like asking someone who doesn't drink if this beer tastes good.

But I stay on the lookout for regualr adult content and try to chime in when I can. At the very least I try to hit over the head (with love and support) those who post the dreaded "I'm giving up" messages.
"I have never thought of myself as a good writer. Anyone who wants reassurance of that should read one of my first drafts. But I'm one of the world's great rewriters." - James A. Michener

#27 Guest_Gina_*

Guest_Gina_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

I love the query critique forum! It'd be nice if there was a way to separate by genre (maybe there is?). Then we could focus on what is in our interest, without sorting through the headings. I enjoy helping, but I tend to when it is an interesting story or already seems pretty tight, as was stated earlier in this thread. :-)

#28 Abitom

Abitom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

I have to admit though, I can only count the number of critiques I did in this forum. Not because I am being an ingrate and refuses to "pay it forward" but I am struggling with my own QL and couldn't even pinpoint my own mistakes. I find each QL posted here...well, perfect (until someone marks the mistakes made) My way of paying of paying it forward is cheering for the QL I find tremendously entertaining.

#29 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I love the query critique forum! It'd be nice if there was a way to separate by genre (maybe there is?). Then we could focus on what is in our interest, without sorting through the headings. I enjoy helping, but I tend to when it is an interesting story or already seems pretty tight, as was stated earlier in this thread. :-)

It would be helpful for writers to post this in their title. I *think* they are supposed to, along with their actual title, but sometimes people forget or don't read the "read-this-before-posting" rules. If every query thread started with a title and included the genre, it would keep the Query Critique forum cleaner and easier to navigate--henceforth drawing more readers in.

My way of paying of paying it forward is cheering for the QL I find tremendously entertaining.

And that's perfectly okay. Stopping in to say, "Hey, I don't generally critique queries, but yours jumped out at me. I love ______ about it." lets them know what works--at least for one reader.

:smile:

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#30 Joe Brewer

Joe Brewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:No fiction published yet. I'm still trying.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:20 AM

I love this site and look forward to contributing in any way I can.

#31 CeeJam

CeeJam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:New novellist, but writing shorts and plays for years.

If I have missed your QL and you are looking for a review, PM me.

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

This forum is a great break from my own writing, and provides inspiration for me!

I love trying to help out where I can, but there are a few things that put me off providing crits (whether I am any good or not...)

First, if the topic title is incorrect, I assume the writer has not read the forum posting rules, and tend to disregard.

Secondly, if there have been numerous crits from other members, and no feedback or thanks from the original poster for a few days, I assume they have lost interest. A simple 'Thanks for the help - I'll post a revision in a few days/week etc" would keep my interest, and I'll keep checking in for it to provide my opinions at a later date.

Third, messy formatting and lumpy paragraphs turn me off - if it doesn't scan well I am too lazy to read on. I guess agents may do the same, but in this case I don't tend to write and tell the OP that!

Next - spelling and grammar errors - I steer clear. If the OP has not taken the time to proof read, then I won't take time to read their work. Simple. The only exceptions tend to be those who make it clear that English is not their first language, and I will take the time to help out if possible, but it can be heavy going...

OPs who get defensive in their responses to crits turn me away. If you post and receive opinions, it should be obvious that these views are honestly given. If you disagree, move on - don't explain your reasons here because all we have to go on is what YOU have written in your QL - revise and repost or don't. There is very little 'flaming' here, thankfully, but disagreeing with a point of view I or others have given is pointless and timewasting. My opinion is my own, regardless of what YOU think it should be! You can change my mind with revisions, not explanations.

Finally, posts well outside my subject interest and genre I tend to find hard to crit effectively, and will avoid. I will, however, give general feedback if possible.

Just my opinions, I find this forum excellent and hope to be posting my own QL in a couple of months, once the MS is complete. Then I will reap what I have sown, I guess!

CeeJam

#32 Raziel

Raziel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't published fiction. However, I have published in my field (psychology), although I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

I think CeeJam has just about nailed everything. The only thing I might add, is that if you want people to read your query, you need to read a few queries yourself. People here tend to be very good at paying it forward, so if you review a few queries, you're sure to get a few reviews in return, which I think is great.

#33 eforkey

eforkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

I am a guilty party as regards to critiquing. I battle with my own query and have enjoyed valuable advice from others, but to be perfectly honest, I am nervous to critique others in case I send out the wrong message. I apologise for this.

Me too! I just joined yesterday and I'm shocked at HOW BAD my query was! I'm scared to try to "help" anyone else! I think I suck at this :happy:

#34 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Me too! I just joined yesterday and I'm shocked at HOW BAD my query was! I'm scared to try to "help" anyone else! I think I suck at this :happy:

We all sucked when we started! It's just part of the learning process. :)

Also remember, if you aren't comfortable giving query-writing advice, you can give a critique as a reader instead of a writer. There is only one qualification for being a reader -- that you can read! ;) Even a simple response like "I was intrigued by your hook but lost interest in the second paragraph" is invaluable.

M.W

#35 Cherry Pie

Cherry Pie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Published in local anthologies, won local writing contest and Writer's Digest writing contest

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

I posted a query a year ago but have taken a few workshops and have completely rewritten my book so I found my original post and updated it but it's still way in the back. I tried to do what the instructions said but I think I messed something up. How do I get it to appear in the front again so people can see the new post?

This is an awesome site by the way, best I've ever seen for writers. I read lots of comments for other people's queries and learn a lot. So many really helpful and honest comments without being mean.

#36 Midnight Whimsy

Midnight Whimsy

Indie Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published, Amazon Top 100 YA Author

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

I posted a query a year ago but have taken a few workshops and have completely rewritten my book so I found my original post and updated it but it's still way in the back. I tried to do what the instructions said but I think I messed something up. How do I get it to appear in the front again so people can see the new post?

This is an awesome site by the way, best I've ever seen for writers. I read lots of comments for other people's queries and learn a lot. So many really helpful and honest comments without being mean.

Editing posts won't move your thread back to the top. You need to "bump it" by adding a new post at the end, something like "Please help, much appreciated!" or copy your query into it again if the new post will be further down the thread. The thread should show up at the top of the forum then.

M.W

#37 gmd

gmd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Just as I believe that you need to read a lot of literature before you can write well, I think it helps to read a lot of queries (and query critiques) before you put something out for comments. I still feel a little uncertain about critiquing, but the advice in this topic is helping me work up the nerve to post more comments.

Plus, I plan to indebt myself to others. I'm putting my query out there; and to all those who are kind enough to comment, I will do my best to provide thoughtful comments on their work when it is posted.

#38 January11555

January11555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Just finished writing my first book -- the publishing process is much more daunting than the myriads of rewrites!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

I'm with Micki - I struggle with my own query so much, I'm reluctant to try to critique anyone else's.

Jan

#39 January11555

January11555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Just finished writing my first book -- the publishing process is much more daunting than the myriads of rewrites!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

As always, everyone has such great advice. My hesitation to respond to a query is sometimes based on the genre. I don't feel right about critiquing a paranormal, young adult or sci-fi, if I lean towards romance or mystery.

Jan

#40 jadah

jadah

The Query Faerie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My debut NA sci-fi novel, ARTIFICIAL, was pubbed April 4 by Curiosity Quills Press. The sequel, ORGANIC, is forthcoming May 2017.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

The one thing that will make me refuse to help out a fellow querier is if I surf through the comments and see that they have been rude, disrespectful, or defensive toward a commentor. That is someone that is taking time out of their life to help you achieve your dreams and asking nothing in return. Also, a lot of people here are involved in the publishing industry somehow, and you really never know who you're talking to. Just a thought.

Find ARTIFICIAL on Goodreads and Amazon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users