#41 quiarahb

quiarahb

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Just began querying agents. And I'm on the hunt for an agent who would love my book--once he/she has read it and is all", I want that novel now!"

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

Jadah I def. agree with you!! January I do that too, but sometimes I'm just drawn to the query and the author who really could use a fresh perspective. Still, I tend to lean towards the genres I know more about. But looking at the query and not being biased, i've given help to those in need of another eye and they done so in return. But I will not help those who are rude and can't take critism.

#42 Dallas

Dallas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Being new to queries I'm reluctant to post.  I know when something is well written.  I have BA's in Literature and Philosophy and grad courses in Creative Writing, plus working  on my own novels and reading a great deal, I have atleast some expertise with spotting grammar, plot, characterization, etc.  But queries are a whole different beast.  I've read a ton of queries, but trying to figure out how my novel can be described in this formula is a pain in the buttocks.  Still, I'm happy to give my 2 cents to anyone who wishes it.  I'd rather see my query is critiqued first to see if have an reason to offer advice to others, ha.

#43 rosieringlet

rosieringlet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Published romance author

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Lots of great words here.  Have to say I am absolutely terrfied to have my query critiqued.  I've read lots of happy, shiny examples of query letters that have scored with the agents of dreams.  But can I make mine look like one of those?  Not a chance!

#44 Sally

Sally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published on Amazon for the Kindle reading devices

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hello

Being encouraged to critique other's query letters before I can hope to have anyone critique mine is rather daunting.  I've never written a query letter before, therefore what position am I in to advise others?  :unsure:

#45 Jinsune

Jinsune

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published four flash fictions.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hello

Being encouraged to critique other's query letters before I can hope to have anyone critique mine is rather daunting.  I've never written a query letter before, therefore what position am I in to advise others?  :unsure:

Research queries to learn how to write them, then take a look at some of the critiques others have written. It's awkward at first, but once you dive in, you'll start to understand what makes a good query and what doesn't.

#46 Dottie D.

Dottie D.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS South

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

you don't have to be an expert on queries to crit one -- just like you don't have to be an excellent writer to read a book and know if you like the book or not. 

read a query.  do you, just as you are, understand what is going on? do you feel connected to the main character enough to want to read the book?  that's all you have to think about.  if you don't understand something, point that out and say why it's confusing. if you can't really say for sure why, just say it was confusing.  that's the best way to get started. that's all the rest of us do. 

if we were all experts on query letters, we wouldn't have our own queries posted to get help!  don't be shy. just try.

#47 Corinna

Corinna

still help seeking, hopefully soon to be help giving

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

When I have just a little more experience, I will gladly go and help others with a critique. But right now, I feel much too uncertain to do such a thing. What if I give another newbe a wrong advice and the person believes it and changes their query for the worse?

#48 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Corinna,

No worries.  The ultimate test of a query letter is, "does it make the reader want to read the book."  No experience necessary. :)

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#49 Corinna

Corinna

still help seeking, hopefully soon to be help giving

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Amazon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Okay, thank you RSMellette :)

#50 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Simply said. I have been following this website for a while. Love it and became member today. Giving response to query letters? How could I? I am stunned by the response people get. Query or not and I believe after months of doing research this is for sure the best platform I came across. I have been giving feedback to members that I think I can help. Somehow. Hopefully. And I will continue as such. (Only started :smile: ) But to rip someones query to bits or praise on high level, I think I need to learn what not to do or what to do, so I can forward it to others :blink: . In simple words, I need experience myself first to know what I am doing. If this makes sense. :wink:

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

Twitter: @tccorrey

#51 ....

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:.

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

....Any tips on copy and paste for the query section? I'm unable to paste and have to write and rewrite the query in each time??

tks, Charlie.

#52 stephenpcain

stephenpcain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Bad advice to begin with and am now trying to correct matters.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

I think it is fantastic how members help each other with critique. I am new to this site and am overwhelmed at the positive way members help each other. I have been working on my query letter for weeks and sincerely hope for positive feedback when I do eventually think it is ready to post. I will also pay it on whenever I can. 

#53 giffordmac

giffordmac

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

You shouldn't think that you don't know enough to help someone else out -- we were all new to this at one time. And I personally feel that critiquing others' letters really helped me with my own.

Just tell someone what you did or didn't like about their Query Letter. That's all it takes. Be respectful, even if what you say is harsh, and you'll be surprised by how much your input is appreciated.

My extreme, awesome, unlimited THANKS go out to everyone who critiqued my QL. I could not have done it without y'all.

“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel

~~~

#54 Sheenabevans

Sheenabevans

Sheenabevans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:56 PM

I'm definitely not an expert on critiquing query letters by any means, but I am happy to offer advice on the little bit I do know or pose questions that the writer themselves didn't think of. I was terrified to post my query letter and my first version came back with a lot of red marks and crossed out words. lol I won't lie and say it wasn't a little overwhelming at times, but it was all good advice and it made me think outside the box. My advice for anyone weary of posting is to not be afraid to take a chance and let yourself out there. Not everyone is going to like your query or your book. At least you know with this site, no one hear is trying to hurt your feelings, they just want to make you better than you already are. You are going to get some rude responses towards anything you right, but when there's bad, there's usually good as well. If it weren't for all the wonderful people on here, I wouldn't have the confidence with my query letter that I have now. Be brave!!

Please visit my query USURP  http://agentquerycon...rillersuspense/

Please visit my blog @ http://sheenaevans.blogspot.com/

#55 grace3332

grace3332

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • Publishing Experience:Backwoods Ripper available on Amazon.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:29 AM

Hi everyone,

I am absolute newbie and very unsure of how to critique other people's work. I've taken the plunge today and posted my query and tried to add something helpful to two other queries. I'm more worried about what I've said about other people's work than any comments I receive on my query. Hopefully it will get easier :unsure:

#56 Tanja

Tanja

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

Don't sweat. We're all going through the same apart of some lucky ones. Helping others can be very useful and at the end you help yourself.

Query:  10 DAY BETRAYAL

10 DAY CONSPIRACY

Twitter: @tccorrey

#57 edeevee

edeevee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Traditional publisher

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

I have to admit, I'm a little frustrated with the process at this point. I did eight critiques before I ever posted my own. I've done probably another 10 or more since then. I have more than 200 views of my post but only a handful of critiques. Although I don't mind doing the crits -- in fact, I think I've learned tons about querying by examining others -- and I'll continue to contribute (as soon as I get through a *sigh* life thing) ... I'd love to know what the heck I'm doing wrong in this community?

#58 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:53 AM

Edeevee, your not doing anything wrong. It's called: patience. We as authors must resign ourselves to develop patience. Without that we'd go crazy in the publishing world where nothing happens quickly. Everything takes painstaking time. My uncle absolutely HATED fishing! Why? Because he didn't have the PATIENCE for it. It's par for the course my friend. If your lucky enough to get published then guess what? You must be more patient. The rewards are worth the wait! The old saying: all good things come to those who wait, cannot be discounted. You'll get there!

#59 VitaCoco

VitaCoco

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hey, Zgbgwfs (or Mike). Nice to meet you. :happy: This isn't the place to paste your query, but you can start a new topic with it. Also, I'm sure you'll find plenty of queries that pique your interest.

"You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes" (Pooh).

#60 spanishgirl

spanishgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none. so far

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hi guys, My name is Barbara and I'm brand new to this site, and unsure if this is the right place to post my query to get feedback. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users