#61 kljacks

kljacks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

Hello, my name is Kristin.  I'm new to the site, too, and have no idea what I'm doing, lol.  Barbara, I think you post your query under the "query critique" forum (I don't remember the exact name of the link). 

#62 spanishgirl

spanishgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:none. so far

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:28 PM

So How do I get to be critiqued? I've posted several times but cant seem to get an answer. HELP! 

#63 waxesnostalgic

waxesnostalgic

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

So How do I get to be critiqued? I've posted several times but cant seem to get an answer. HELP! 

Try critiquing other's queries and mentioning yours below your critique. It's also important to accurately describe your book's genre and what kind of feedback you are looking in the initial post for so members will know how to help you. 

#64 clavel

clavel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Well, I just posted my new revisions, I think. I'm new and still confused as to how to get the new stuff up.

Full disclosure, my problem is'nt writing the Q's, it's picking the best draft! I have at least 17 angles to choose. Sometimes I reveal so much I have to realize I'm two books past the book I am describing (I'm writing a series).

"Diarrhea of the type writer" they call it. And I suck at grammer. The remarkable thing about gramner is who comments on it. I have several friends, some of whom are famous authors whom have sold literally millions of books. When I speak to them, they tell me grammer is only commented on by people who don't yet have book deals. So I fele encouraged by that to post my stuff in places.

Now, four years into my block buster, it's finally ready. But I value this site because I can post abd get valuable feedback from strangers. Sometimes that is good sometimes not, but I realize that people are going to be reading my book, so that means everyone should get a say.

I'm rambling, but I wanted to comment on the Genre. I don't believe in Genres. I think we as readers limit ourselves to specifics, it's not good. Good writing defies Genres. Stephen King writes anything he wants, when he started they called it horror. Today it would be called NA; but who cares?

They say all good writing boils down to one topic: dealing with death. With that, I need some feed back on my new Query before I die of waiting!!

#65 Bill in Memphis

Bill in Memphis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:First novel release date is August 17th, 2016, from Dingbat Publishing.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

I'm also new here and just getting a feel for the board, but I'll be happy to offer some comments when I get to your query letter, and I guarantee they'll be worth double what you paid for them! But whether they are any good or not, they will be honest. Best of luck.

Follow me on twitter @jointhebrigade1

Please visit my website and blog at: http://thelastbrigade.com/

#66 rockondon

rockondon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

I'd say the 2 best ways to get people to critique you are:

1) critique lots of other people

2) do your research.

As for #2, when I see a query where someone clearly has no idea what they're doing because they haven't bothered to do their own research, I don't feel like spending an hour telling them stuff they should already know.

Edit: but what do I know. I'm lucky if 1/10th of the people I critique return the favor.

SEAHAVEN-tiny_zps81d97748.jpg My query is complete but please take a look at my synopsis seahaven-sketch1tiny_zps366c1aee.jpg

#67 LorinFife

LorinFife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:none

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Fun to read other "newbie" posts, even ones that are now more than five years old!  Funny...  I have never had trouble wielding a red pen as an attorney...  curious that I feel shy about critiquing other writers' "babies."  I guess I'll just have to get used to it.  I look forward to joining in the fun!

#68 cob816

cob816

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self published five books on Amazon and Smashwords

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi, my name is Cindy and I've revised my query letter and want to put it back out there for critique. How would I go about doing that?

#69 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

Hi, my name is Cindy and I've revised my query letter and want to put it back out there for critique. How would I go about doing that?

It's been a long time since I've done a query, but I believe if post it at the bottom of a thread where you originally posted it. Then go to the top of the thread and edit that post to say where the most recent revision is (Post # in the upper right hand corner of the post).

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#70 KerryTaylor2016

KerryTaylor2016

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Three years self-publishing romance books.

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

I am just nervous about critiquing someone else's letter when all I have done is seen other templates. Is it safe, to critique others without having first-hand success in sending a successful query letter?

#71 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 28 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

A query letter is a sales tool. The objective is to make the reader, whoever that may be, want to read the book. You are qualified to offer that opinion.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#72 Toasha

Toasha

Breaking Free

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Ghostwritten work published everywhere

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:25 PM

I am just nervous about critiquing someone else's letter when all I have done is seen other templates. Is it safe, to critique others without having first-hand success in sending a successful query letter?

I'm in the same boat. I'm here because I don't know how to do a query, so how am I supposed to crit other people's?

#73 John_Angel

John_Angel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:56 AM

Same here. The letter is ten times harder than writing the book itself. I'm finding myself working harder on the letter than my book. I don't know where to start. Here's the link to my post:

http://agentquerycon...stery-suspense/

Any help where to just start would greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#74 singer

singer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:2 academic books

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Hello.

I'm a mature writer, rode the rails with querying agents. I write good stuff, but agents don't respond to my queries, so I'm hoping to get advice. I will query yours in return.

The query is for a Young Adult novel pitched to high school readers.

Dear Mr.:

Clinton High is an all-white school, and when Lionel Lemmons, a black boy, transfers in, he is as welcome as a thief in the night, and he’s not exactly ecstatic about it either.

When the Lemmons family moves, Lionel could ride the bus for an hour each way to his home school in the Negro neighborhood, but he decides to attend Clinton and tough it out. He can show these white kids that not all blacks are dumb and dirty, but it’s 1955, and he’s one lone black boy against two hundred white kids.

Malcom Maguire and his girlfriend, Carrie Crawford, befriend Lionel with the same idea: showing Lionel that not all white people hate blacks. But this means crossing the color line, and they soon find that it’s more than an imaginary line; it’s a wall. Can they really make a crack in that wall? Can Lionel shine when the cards are stacked against him? EULA MAE WITH DIAMONDS (34,400words), explores that dilemma.   

Malcolm is an artist, and his greatest dream is winning the prestigious High School Art competition. The winner gets a scholarship to an art school and a check for $100. But Malcolm doesn’t know that Lionel has also entered the competition with a portrait of his grandmother.

Lionel is tormented daily, and it reaches a climax as vicious racists trash the Lemmons’ home and kill his dog. Malcolm and Carrie take the Lemmons to safety in the Negro district. When Lionel came to Clinton he was optimistic; now all he feels is hate.

When Lionel’s painting takes first prize in the art competition, Malcolm is shattered. A Negro beat him out for first prize? Lionel, who is supposed to be his friend, and never even told him he was entering the competition? It is the mother of all sucker-punches.

In an ironic twist, Lionel is disqualified, and Malcolm who took second prize, is awarded first prize, and now Malcolm finds himself in a moral dilemma. Does he keep the prize money, or does he give it to Lionel?

After some heavy-duty soul-searching, he admits that Lionel’s painting is better than his, and that a black student winning the Art Competition is a good thing; Lionel is the first black ever to win first prize. He gives Lionel the money because it is the right thing to do. Lionel’s hatred is wiped away, and they part as friends. There’s a crack in that wall. Eventually it will crumble.

I taught writing to college students for over ten years, and I have had some success as a playwright. I wrote a dozen plays, eight of which were given full stage productions, and one was published. EULA MAE WITH DIAMONDS, (the title of Lionel’s winning painting), is my first YA novel.

I have a second YA novel in final revision, and two adult novels currently seeking representation.

Thank you for your time and consideration. The complete manuscript is available.

#75 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,503 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Singer, I'd recommend creating a thread with your query in this forum. It will get lost on this thread; it needs to be a separate item of its own to garner the right kind of attention.

#76 Keledron

Keledron

Here to help!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Mentality Magazine columnist, Gamespot.com featured community reviewer, Editor-In-Chief of Uncharted Frontier EZine

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

I've seen several posts asking about how to write a query so I thought I'd offer some suggestions based on my own experience. I haven't been "published" yet, but I'm getting a little closer with each novel and new query (I'm hitting the "no-longer-a-form-rejection" stage!, this actually has me very excited).

0. Read this site's How To Write a Query letter: http://www.agentquer.../writer_hq.aspx

1. Read the successful queries forum on this site. It is so freaking invaluable to help you understand the format and pacing that works. (http://agentquerycon...essful-queries/)

2. Consult the great and wonderfully harsh QueryShark. Ms. Reid is an established agent that does an amazing service for aspiring writers, and posts queries that she gets on her site (usually ones she rejects) and explains WHY she rejected them. Most writers make the same mistakes over and over again, and this will help you avoid those mistakes. (http://queryshark.blogspot.com)

3. Writer's Digest Guide to Literary Agents - This is another awesome resource that guest spots authors with successful queries and usually has the agent's response of what grabbed their attention and why. http://www.writersdi...literary-agents -- note: they also highlight new agents who are looking for clients!

Between these 3 sources (and trust me there are so many more) you should be able to get started with a competent query.

My advice to new writers who have just finished their first novel is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. You need to figure out what works and what doesn't. Where does your book fit in the big ol' book forest? Know your genre, know your book and be ready to sell it! I've seen people who have written a great book, jump online and start firing off query letters to agents they think fit (and they've never written a query letter before!).

You really need to do your homework and understand the format. If you violate some of the hard and fast rules, and your query letter isn't so good it's pooping out gold in the mornings and diamonds in the afternoon? No agent is going to give it more than a brief glance. Nearly all of them can spot a query that has pushed it past the 300 word limit, and that alone can get the door shut on you pretty quick. I've met a lot of writers trying to be clever (i.e. writing their query letter as if it's coming from the main character); don't do this. You're not the only writer who has thought that idea up, and agents will roll their eyes when they see it, and toss it in the trash.

Stick to the format, make it snappy, make it grabby, and PUT YOUR BEST FOOT FORWARD! Edit it until it shines. Free it from grammatical devilry. If you don't have at least a semi-solid foothold on English/English grammar, get your query letter read and edited by a friend of yours who does. Your query letter is an agent's first chance to get a look at how you write. If your query is sloppy and loaded with grammatical errors, what do you think that says to an agent about your novel??

Put your best foot forward, do your research, and sacrifice a three-days-baked-in-the-sun-on-a-sidewalk can of sardines to Lady Luck--and you'll be on your way :)

Any critiques on my current query for A Wizard Deceived would be highly appreciated, and I would gladly critique yours in return!

http://agentquerycon...rd-deceived-uf/

Synopsis critiques would be SO APPRECIATED!!

http://agentquerycon...izard-deceived/

Follow Merlin's journey to publication!

http://scribblersepic.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users