#21 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

I read the blog you just linked to, and it seems some people are confused about who actually sent the revised email of "dear 1 of 238". It was one of the rejected writers who revised the email and sent it out, not the agency, from what I gathered.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#22 Dark82

Dark82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/141675

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

No,it was the agent replying.Believe me, I received over 45 repsonses that verified this. What resulted out of this mess was three Facebook pages, two poems, and an article featuring a profile on each author in a magazine. Who knew it something as negative as a rejection letter could result in such a positive experience? Somehow this has actually culminated into a small writer's workshop of sorts. You wouldn't even believe it unless you saw it with your own eyes.
Check out Quarter Life Crisis!
https://www.smashwor...oks/view/141675

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.
Mark Twain

#23 Dark82

Dark82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

I should add that the reason I know this is because the agent sent two emails, the second one was revised, and it started with " Dear 1 of 238 authors"

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn’t.
Mark Twain

#24 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

In the email you pasted, here's the chain of correspondence (all bold emphasis in the following quotes is mine):

Jason Rohan <jason.rohan@gmail.com> writes: I've revised the mail as per below.

AWESOME!

On 22 March 2012 18:52, Amanda Accius-Williams <awilliams@writershouse.com> wrote:

The Jason guy (one of the mass rejectees) revised the email below, which was originally written (and signed by) the assistant Amanda.

Then the blog you linked to says:

Of course, writers are nothing if not resilient, so my fellow writers, starting with one ingenious man, began to take back our individuality. It started with this reworking of our simultaneous rejection:

Dear 1 of 238 Authors I have to mail a standard reply to,
(...)
That started a flurry of humorous emails, including one that suggested we form our own agency called the 238. Yeah, it’s catchy.

And then in the comments, Jason pops up and says:

Jason Rohan Mar 23, 2012 02:40 PM

Here's my take on this: anyone who has written a novel is a hero of sorts and deserving of respect as someone who has stepped into the rarefied company of Doers, not Talkers; someone who has sacrificed much - and all that is asked for in return is to be treated fairly.

A bog standard form rejection is not a nice thing but it happens and agents are busy people. Copying in 238 other people to share a humiliation is another thing entirely. Yes, mistakes get made, but this is sloppy and unprofessional. For that reason, I redrafted the rejection to say overtly what had been implied and sent it back out as a bit of a joke and, more importantly, as a way of claiming back some control over this whole process in which we, the aspiring writers, have to draft carefully targeted queries but agents can have daft interns mail-blast standard responses and we have no choice but to suck it up because we're at the bottom of the food chain.

For those who didn't want to be cc'd in, I apologise, but it's not as if your email details were kept private, as they should have been. My intentions were good
and I am proud that we have managed to turn around what could have been a discouraging moment and have made it into something empowering. I've sent off 40-odd queries and had four requests for a full manuscript, so please keep at it, all of you. When you reach 238 rejections, then maybe it's time to start anew.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#25 Giant Baby

Giant Baby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two sold to Simon & Schuster.
    Release One January 2015.
    Release Two January 2016.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Yep. There's a screenshot online, showing that it was JR who sent out the revised version of the rejection. The assistant simply tried to send a disregard notice. The fact that your original email arrived with "RECALL" in the subject and a blank message further suggests that it was a mistake, but some of the authors had run with it.

I guess that's fair, a mistake was made, after all. If an article really has been written, though, I hope it's been thoroughly researched (or, at least that the assistant's been contacted for comment- God knows, her identity and email address have been amply splashed about).
“Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice.” ― Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

#26 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Probably doesn't have anything to do with the rejections, but Al Zuckerman has, I believe, retired from heading the company. May be there's been some anxious/upset/uncertain people working there till things settle down. Sometimes changes of leadership cause this.

#27 Dark82

Dark82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

The article is being thoroughly researched I will let you all know when it is released.

Mark Twain

#28 richard p

richard p

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two self-published books: "Battles and other stories" and "Only The Lonely" (a novel) on Amazon.com.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

I have a feeling the literary agent emailed her assistant a list of names to send email rejections to, and the assistant accidentally sent the entire list at once. Strickly a snafu, but still shouldn't have happened.

http://richard-writi...ng.blogspot.com
Richard P Hughes a.k.a. R Patrick Hughes

#29 Dark82

Dark82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well several good things came from it: we have created two Facebook pages, a writer's community of sorts,the magazine article, and a lot of us have made really good connections with each other. So all in all, it ended up being a good thing.

Mark Twain

#30 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,196 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

That's great that you've found some other writers to connect with, however, may I offer a word of caution? If the agency is truly trying to remedy things and are owning their goof... think about reflections on you. Are you and the people you are surrounding yourself with acting in a professional manner? Are you acting with grace? The reason I ask this is that you are a querying writer. If you have a story that is intriguing to another agency and they want to offer you representation and they Google you... what are they going to find? How are you actions going to look through the eyes of another agency? Are they going to fear that you will publicly take them to task if they have a goof up?

Just things to keep in mind as the Internet is forever and our reputations can be tainted so easily. I've only skimmed this thread and have not followed the links offered, but I thought I would offer this advice--just in case. (Hope I'm not out of line.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg  EggnogCandyCanes40K-e1417030960885.jpeg  loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   NaughtyAndNice2-e1417030739629.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $1.99            $2.99            $2.99    * 99 Cents! Holidays Only! *

#31 Cheryl B. Dale

Cheryl B. Dale

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Category, ebooks, mystery

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

That's great that you've found some other writers to connect with, however, may I offer a word of caution? If the agency is truly trying to remedy things and are owning their goof... think about reflections on you. Are you and the people you are surrounding yourself with acting in a professional manner? Are you acting with grace? The reason I ask this is that you are a querying writer. If you have a story that is intriguing to another agency and they want to offer you representation and they Google you... what are they going to find? How are you actions going to look through the eyes of another agency? Are they going to fear that you will publicly take them to task if they have a goof up?

Just things to keep in mind as the Internet is forever and our reputations can be tainted so easily. I've only skimmed this thread and have not followed the links offered, but I thought I would offer this advice--just in case. (Hope I'm not out of line.)

Always good advice from you, Jean O!

#32 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,196 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thanks, Cheryl. I'd hate for something seemingly innocent to end up working against someone.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg  EggnogCandyCanes40K-e1417030960885.jpeg  loveandrumors579K-e1409935457105.jpg   loveanddreams1dot9MG-e1409935497302.jpg   NaughtyAndNice2-e1417030739629.jpg

FREE!               $2.99             $2.99               $1.99            $2.99            $2.99    * 99 Cents! Holidays Only! *

#33 Dark82

Dark82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

No,it's all very positive.It's just turned into basically a writer's forum on Facebook consisting of us few. It's now just being used for advice and networking. But I definitely get where you are coming from and I appreciate the look-out!

Mark Twain

#34 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,196 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Cool. :)

#35 Taterdid

Taterdid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

It sounds like some one is having some serious technical problems. I queried Jodi Reamer, it took sone time, but I actually got a very personalizes response from Alex her assistant, after he called to verify
some information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users