27 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

In last week's AQC chat on Twitter I realized I wasn't following some of my own advice. My bio on Twitter was a bit meh. I was not standing out. I was another writer failing to showcase my skills and stand out from the growing crowd of writers.

You know the bios--they all blend together--"I'm a writer who writes X and Y. Blah, blah, blah."

So, I decided to take out some of the 'list' in terms of my writing genres in my bio and change it up. So... does it pass or fail? (Remember, you only have 160 characters to give the essence of 'you.')

Will write anything for food. Agented nonfiction writer. Part geek. Part jock. Tends to bring home wounded animals. Site mod @ AgentQueryConnect. :)

How about yours?

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#2 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over a dozen books published under both my Cali MacKay pen name and Calista Taylor.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

I like your new one, Jean!!! : ) Def. stands out.

Here's mine...

Agented writer of nonfiction and steampunk romance laced with mystery, sex and adventure. Creative cook who can't follow recipes. Versatile crafter. Happy geek.

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

51M9jSBpNOL._AA160_.jpg518t1wJjh2L._AA160_.jpg 51u%2BLRzsWSL._AA160_.jpg

#3 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

@Jean,

Definitely better! :biggrin:

@Calista,

I think the first sentence can be reworked.

Okay, here's mine. Don't be too sharp. :blush:

Writing paranormal YA. Currently negotiating with my Muse. Hater of copycats. Crazy Directioner. Stelena(60%), Delena(40%) shipper. The Hunger Games fan.

Also, for there are many adults who don't understand that, Directioner means 'fan of One Direction', Stelena=Stefan+Elena (from The Vampire Diaries), Delena=Damon+Elena (from The Vampire Diaries). It means I support both relationships in the series.
I don't know, I just meant it may be good to show my interests, and since many of those Directioners, Stelena, and Delena fans who follow me are also avid YA readers (a.k.a. my future readers)... Well, so far it has worked.
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#4 Darke

Darke

~Official AQC Cookie Provider~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've had several short stories published with online magazines within the last two years. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hmm...looking at mine, it's kind of flat. I think I need to spice it up and make it stand out more.

Old:
Author of scifi and paranormal short stories, novels & scripts. Has an overactive Muse so I'm working on several projects at once. Sorry I don't autofollow.

New:
-pending-

~I am neither an author nor a writer; I am a storyteller with good grammar.~

darkes_cover_4_sparkletn.jpg Book2TN.jpg darkescovenwtTN.jpg

demonthumbnail.jpg

#5 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I honed mine to:

Will write fiction/nonfiction for food. Agented nonfiction writer. Part geek, jock, & kid. Known to bring home wounded animals. Site mod at AgentQueryConnect. ☺

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Agented writer of nonfiction and steampunk romance laced with mystery, sex and adventure. Creative cook who can't follow recipes. Versatile crafter. Happy geek.

That covers a lot of your bases, Cali! Nice.

Writing paranormal YA. Currently negotiating with my Muse. Hater of copycats. Crazy Directioner. Stelena(60%), Delena(40%) shipper. The Hunger Games fan.

That's good--it is directed at a niche and that niche is following you. Question: will potential agents, editors understand the YA stuff? Or will they know it because it is their genre?

Hmm...looking at mine, it's kind of flat. I think I need to spice it up and make it stand out more.

Old:
Author of scifi and paranormal short stories, novels & scripts. Has an overactive Muse so I'm working on several projects at once. Sorry I don't autofollow.

It's not bad. It's better than the one I had originally! I agree that you can spice it up a bit though.

For those with books out--are you using Twitter in some way to show off your title? Either background-wise? Or link somewhere in your profile? If not, that might be something to consider. The only problem is getting the message out without being all about the books, right? I've seen that so much. Blah. Maybe if you have a page on your website, or Smashwords, etc., you can add that link in somewhere? Sort of a my books link? Just thinking out loud here.

#7 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

I mentioned mine during the chat, but here it is again:

Erstwhile math teacher of deaf kids writing geeky-chic YA.

:blush:
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#8 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Look at you--with characters to spare. (Can I borrow a few?)

#9 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Question: will potential agents, editors understand the YA stuff? Or will they know it because it is their genre?

I hope the latter. I mean, The Vampire Diaries is commonly known, and probably all the fanbases if you're into YA stuff.
And Darke, I like the second sentence :smile: , but I think the other two can be...spiced up.
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#10 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over a dozen books published under both my Cali MacKay pen name and Calista Taylor.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

@Calista,

I think the first sentence can be reworked.

That covers a lot of your bases, Cali! Nice.

Yeah, that first sentence is a bit clunky, but it is a lot to sort of cram in there. lol. Thanks guys!! I'll see about tweaking it so it's less of a mouthful.

Kristina, I'd say to make it a little less VD specific, since with Twitter, you're usually trying to reach a pretty wide audience. It's not just agents, though agents may look at your number of followers, since it gives them a feel for the size of your platform.

Darke, I know you're redoing yours, but I agree that a bit more pop would be good.

Rc, nice!!

Need a Cover?

Cali MacKay

FREE

51M9jSBpNOL._AA160_.jpg518t1wJjh2L._AA160_.jpg 51u%2BLRzsWSL._AA160_.jpg

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel, The Sister Queens (the story of 13th century sisters Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence who became the queens of France and England respectively) is now on shelves everywhere (and is also available on-line at Amazon, IndieBound, Books a Million, and Barnes and Noble).

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for raising this. Here's mine:

My historical novel, THE SISTER QUEENS (the tale of sisters Marguerite & Eleanor of Provence who became queens of France & England respectively) releases 3/2012

Pretty all business. Perhaps too much so.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 JayMG

JayMG

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:My novel is due to be published by a small press in June/July 2014. I also have short works published in various UK and US literary magazines.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

I'm @thetillmonkey and here's mine:

My till monkeying days are behind me now, so I write for my supper and read for my insomnia. Now stop looking at my giant hand.

Sounds random but my profile pic kind of draws attention to, well, my man-sized hands.

#13 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for raising this. Here's mine:

My historical novel, THE SISTER QUEENS (the tale of sisters Marguerite & Eleanor of Provence who became queens of France & England respectively) releases 3/2012

Pretty all business. Perhaps too much so.

Lit, I like how you have what your book is about, however having your bio all about your book and not you *might* make folks fear that you are going to be all about your book? Maybe. Is there a way to squeeze info about yourself in there? I was telling my grandma (avid reader) about your book and when she heard it was a historical she was all like, "They never get the facts right." But when I told her you were a former lawyer she was like, "Oh, then she knows how to research. Okay." So maybe you could sneak that in there? Like: "Former lawyer turned historical writer. My passion lies in queens such as in my THE SISTER QUEENS..." or something. :wink: I know you can do better than I can with that, but that kind of shows what I mean.

I'm @thetillmonkey and here's mine:

My till monkeying days are behind me now, so I write for my supper and read for my insomnia. Now stop looking at my giant hand.

Sounds random but my profile pic kind of draws attention to, well, my man-sized hands.

Goofy! If you've got your giant hands in your pic, then perfect. :happy:

As an aside... my blog doesn't really have a name. I was thinking of calling it something like PB & J. (Peanut Butter and Jean. Or Peanut Butter and Jam (Jean Oram) ) And then making my bio say I will write for PB&J. :wink:

#14 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Will write anything for food. Agented nonfiction writer. Part geek. Part jock. Tends to bring home wounded animals. Site mod @ AgentQueryConnect. :)

Jean, the only clarification that might be in order is that you are not bringing home wounded animals for or as food.

Then again, I suspect I am the only person to whom this might occur.

I tend to focus on the tweets and not the profile.

#15 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

But your bio is one of the major factors when people decide whether to follow you or not. And then they take a look at your tweets.
By the way, just read your bio and have to say it's a bit too listy, at least for me.

Follow me on Twitter

#16 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I've had several short stories published with online magazines within the last two years. Currently, I am self-publishing my paranormal series. See my blog for more details.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

But your bio is one of the major factors when people decide whether to follow you or not. And then they take a look at your tweets.

I have to disagree with that. The first thing I look at is NOT their 140character profile, it's their interaction with others. Sure it's nice to have something catchy,
but it's not a major selling point on whether or not I'll follow someone.

demonthumbnail.jpg

#17 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,250 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW will be published by Hyperion in Fall 2014.

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I have to disagree with that. The first thing I look at is NOT their 140character profile, it's their interaction with others. Sure it's nice to have something catchy,
but it's not a major selling point on whether or not I'll follow someone.

Since I find out about new followers through email notifications, the bio IS the first thing I see. It almost never makes me decide yes, I WILL follow, but it *can* sometimes make me decide I definitely WON'T before I even look further. For the "yes, I'll follow" decision, though, I have to check the latest tweets to see how spammy they are.
Stitching+Snow+Cover+Final+SMALL.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#18 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Jean, the only clarification that might be in order is that you are not bringing home wounded animals for or as food.

Then again, I suspect I am the only person to whom this might occur.

That's funny. So far all the wounded animals have not ended as supper. So far. :wink:

The tweets are definitely important too. I'm like RC in that the first time I see a new follower is via an email notice which has their bio, but no tweets. There has been the odd time where I have gone and followed someone based on their bio. But generally the tweets are the main deciding factor and the bio is sort of a helper. However, there has been the odd time when I've seen another aspiring writer's bio or a new author's bio where I've looked at it, seen that it looks like everyone else's and said to myself, "Already following a bunch of those. Pass."

So while a good bio may not gain you a ton of followers, it may turn a 'maybe' into a 'follow.'

#19 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Tweaked it. Don't want people thinking I'm eating poor critters because I can't make it as a writer. :laugh:

Will write fiction/nonfiction for food. Agented nonfiction writer. Part geek, jock, & big kid. Soft spot for animals. Site moderator at AgentQueryConnect. ☺

#20 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

For the "yes, I'll follow" decision, though, I have to check the latest tweets to see how spammy they are.

Agreed. I've read some very interesting bio's and their tweets are all about promoting their book or random quotes and rarely any interaction with others. That's a big turn off for me.

But I digress, sorry for the hijack Jean.

demonthumbnail.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users