#1 jdenker

jdenker

Incurable Optimist And Hopeless Romantic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Three-ebook deal with Kensington; books published/publishing 5/16/13, 8/1/13, and 11/21/13.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

I've been in touch with a very nice agent who read my full and then requested a few changes to my MS, which I was happy to make. Now the revised MS is in her hands. While I wait, should I keep querying? Or should I treat this as an exclusive of sorts, and wait to hear from her one way or the other? I should add that she's been very accessible and prompt so far, so I don't think she'd sit on it for months or anything. I just don't know what the etiquette is for R&Rs--I've never gotten this far before! :tongue:
As the great philosopher J. Clarkson has so often said, "How hard can it be?"
Hey, somebody read my blog, whydoncha? It's gonna start growing mold otherwise...

#2 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

It's not an exclusive R&R unless the agent requests that specifically, so feel free to keep querying. :) I'm almost in the same boat as you, haha. As soon as I finish the revisions I will be, that is.

And good luck!!

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#3 jwmstudio

jwmstudio

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I don't know anything, but GOOD LUCK!
JWM
http://thedemeterdiaries.blogspot.com/

Writing as Evelyn Adams

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,360 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

One thing I have heard is that agents can feel a little miffed if you shop around the revised ms that they've put a bit of effort into working on with you while they're still considering. So if you continue querying and get a full request, it's considered bad form to send the revised ms.

That said, I'm not sure the same rule applies if their notes for the R&R were minimal and you ran with it pretty much on your own. In my one and only experience with an R&R, the agent and I had a reasonably in-depth conversation about what she felt needed adjustment, so I felt it only right to give her the first shot at the new version.

And of course, if the R&R agent takes forever and a day to read the new ms, that's probably another matter. (In my situation, she responded within a few weeks.)
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#5 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Wow I clearly going to be in the minority here but I say unless something was said (e.g. "I am willing to work with you on this manuscript but given I am putting in the time I would like you not to shop it while we are collaborating") suggesting an expectation of either exclusivity or a right of first refusal on the revised manuscript as a quid pro quo for the agent's input, query your heart out.

As for which manuscript to send any agent who asks for a pariial or full while you are working with "Agent A"? You send the BEST you've got. Do you feel the changes have made it a better or are you on the fence about them? If you aren't sure about the changes, send the original. If you are sure, send your best manuscript because it's still your work (just as it is after you make changes suggested by a critique partner).
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#6 jdenker

jdenker

Incurable Optimist And Hopeless Romantic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Three-ebook deal with Kensington; books published/publishing 5/16/13, 8/1/13, and 11/21/13.

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:49 PM

Thanks, guys! This agent has been so quick with her replies and requests for tweaks here and there that I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and treat it as an exclusive until I finally hear one way or the other. The way she's operating, it shouldn't take very long. (Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think good thing. :smile: )
As the great philosopher J. Clarkson has so often said, "How hard can it be?"
Hey, somebody read my blog, whydoncha? It's gonna start growing mold otherwise...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users