Disclaimer

Photo

The Rise of E-reading - EReaders and Digital ContentNew Pew study finds that E-reader and tablet owners read more books — print and digital — than people who don’t own those devices.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

In many respects I do not know why this new study is surprising. Making an activity that people like, more convenient and less expensive induces people to do more ot it. Ebooks kindle a love of reading, so to speak.

The rise of e-reading

21% of Americans have read an e-book. The increasing availability of e-content is prompting some to read more than in the past and to prefer buying books to borrowing them.

Four key takeaways from Pew’s new e-reading study

#2 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), recently published into eBook format by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), set for its first print run via Lightning Source, in early 2014!

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the link, Rick. Very interesting statistics. It's great news for us writers to know that Ebooks are prompting more and more people to read. :wink:

#3 S.K. Keogh

S.K. Keogh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My debut historical novel, THE PRODIGAL, was published in 2012 by Fireship Press. My second novel, THE ALLIANCE, was released in Dec 2013. Currently I am querying agents with another historical novel.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

I know I BUY/READ way more books each year since I got my first Kindle. Just bought a Touch last month to replace my previous model.

SKKeogh.com

http://www.facebook.com/S.K.Keogh

Click to purchase your copy or read free samples
Photobucket.jpg19279504.jpg

#4 dgaughran

dgaughran

Let's Get Digital

• Members
  • Pip
  • 193 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories and one NF title, with a novel due in the Fall.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Very interesting survey. One quibble:

Much is being made of how many print books e-reader owners read, however, I suspect they could have asked better questions here and might be reaching on the conclusions.

Let me give myself as an example. I got my first e-reader (a Kindle) this Christmas. I still read a lot of print books because I have tons of them on my shelf I haven't read yet. But I haven't bought a print book since I got my Kindle (and have bought lots and lots of e-books). I don't think I will be unique in that sense.

I really wished that asked how many print books e-reader owners have purchased since buying their device. I suspect the answer would have been quite different.

They could have also dug deeper on that question and asked why someone was still reading print. I don't think it's the case that I'll never buy a print book again. I'm sure I'll still buy used print books, stuff that hasn't been digitized for whatever reason, and some books for research (still prefer that over digital).
Posted Image   Posted Image http://ecx.images-am...+yL._SL125_.jpg   http://ecx.images-am...91L._SL125_.jpg <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital
I have a new blog where I share curious incidents from the history of the world's most exotic continent: South Americana

#5 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

David,

I agree with you that the story could have been written and documented.

There is one possible explanation for an increase in both ebook and print book sales. I will, in some cases, buy used books on Amazon if the price after shipping is still less than the cost of the ebook. I usually prefer an ebook, but especially in those cases where publishers are being stupid in their pricing, I will still buy in print. Unfortunately, the author does not get an additional royalty on the used book, but that is between the author and his or her publisher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users