#1 kate_writesYA

kate_writesYA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

I signed with Laura Rennert of Andrea Brown Literary this week. Many of the fine folks here offered extremely helpful critiques (thanks, everyone!), and I wanted to share the final version of my query. I queried 9 agents and got 3 full requests, which resulted in one offer. I left the personalization in, because I think it was a large part of how I caught her attention.

Dear Laura Rennert,

I'm seeking representation for my Young Adult novel SEA OF BONE AND SAND, which is a sci-fi reimagining of the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur. I think you may be a good fit to represent my novel because of your interest in mythological retellings. I know that your client Tracy Barrett's DARK OF THE MOON is a retelling of this same myth, but I think that my novel is significantly different from hers. SEA OF BONE AND SAND is more loosely based on mythology, and is set in a distant, dystopian future. It is closer in tone to your client Maggie Stiefvater's SCORPIO RACES.

The mission is simple: kill the hybrid, end the drought.

Seventeen-year-old Ty thinks there's no way he'll have the honor of being drafted. He's a bastard, a nobody shunned by society and relegated to grunt work in the water factory, where every drop of water is extracted from corpses and waste.

But when Ty savagely beats a blasphemer for insulting Priestess Nia, he impresses the demigods who rule the city. As a result, Ty is among those chosen to enter the ancient subway tunnels that serve as the man-beast hybrid's subterranean lair.

The hybrid is supposedly the last remnant of the genetic engineering that provoked the wrath of the gods and started the drought. If Ty can defeat the hybrid, not only will he save the city, he'll earn security for his mother, honor, and Nia's love.

Ty has an unlikely ally in demigod Ardine, elder daughter of the King. Ardine attracts and intimidates Ty, but he doesn't know if he can
trust her. Ty will make discoveries that shatter his faith, and uncover secrets that could topple the demigods' theocracy—but only if
he can escape the labyrinth to share them.

SEA OF BONE AND SAND is complete at 79,000 words, and will appeal to both male and female readers of action-oriented, character-driven novels like SHIP BREAKER.

Like many nerds before me, I've loved mythology for a long time, and I still have my tattered high school copy of Edith Hamilton's MYTHOLOGY to prove it. I studied Ancient Greek and other unmarketable things at St. John's College.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Kate Norris
Check out my blog at www.authorkatenorris.com!

#2 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Huge get - Congrats!

But remember, it wasn't the query that got the agent, it was your book. The query just got the look.

51xExIpByyL._AA160_.jpg

A Sci-Fi book for the whole family.
by R.S. Mellette

#3 aprilmwall

aprilmwall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Congrats!

#4 AMK

AMK

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada...working on it

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

Congrats!

#5 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook format at all leading online retailers.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, paperback edition available at numerous retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia and Fishpond.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

Awesome! HUGE Congratulations Kate! :biggrin:

#6 Countrymouse

Countrymouse

Literary mouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None––as of yet. Fingers crossed that that will change.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

I remember this one . . . and love the title. Congrats!
Conventional opinion is the ruin of our Souls. ~Rumi~

#7 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

Wonderful query and a hearty congratulations!

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#8 JayMG

JayMG

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:My novel was published by a small UK press in July 2014. I also have short works published in various UK and US literary magazines.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

Love, love, love it. Can't wait to read it. Huge congratulations.

#9 Stephanie B

Stephanie B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Congrats! That sounds amazing! Let us know when it's published!

You can find my blog at Chasm of Books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users