AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

Alrighty I think I am ready to move on to my next project while waiting to hear back from some queries for THE UNLEASHING. But I don't know which project to start. I would greatly appreciate your input.

1.Untitled sequel to THE UNLEASHING

2.YA retelling of the story of Aladdin in modern days with modern tech etc.

3.YA Paranormal about a race in charge of "Karma"

4.YA about a girl who’s best friend joins the Army. The day before he leaves, he tells her if she asks him to stay, she would. She is ecstatic and agrees because she has always loved him. That night, she has a dream he dies by pushing her out of the way of a car. A figure warns her to let him go. So she does. But a few years later he gets engaged and she stops the wedding. They are together, but then her dream happens. The figure comes back telling her they warned her not to. She finds out she saw it happen because she is a Grimm.

These are the four ideas I've been dappling with. Which one would you read? Idk if I should move directly onto the sequel if the first one never gets any responses from agents, or should I?

#2 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'd definitely wait on the sequel. It's a much better idea to have something fresh and new to query, so if The Unleashing doesn't get you an agent, something else might.

The Aladdin retelling sounds interesting, but really, just pick whichever idea you want to write the most. That's the only way to go. :)

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#3 Mia K Rose

Mia K Rose

Lost in the Unreal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'm going to agree with Stephanie. Hold off on writing a sequel, as it is hard to sell a sequel without the first book.
In regards to your ideas pick the one you feel most passionate about, and know you can write start to finish without second-thinking the idea.
Follow me on twitter.
Take a look at my blog.

#4 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I like the idea of the Karmic race. :-)

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

SNE%2Bnew%2Bcover%2Btiny.jpg  Conseting%2BAdults%2Btiny.jpg Melt%2Btiny.jpg

#5 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

Wait to do the sequel. I like the Karma idea.

#6 TyUnglebower

TyUnglebower

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have over the years non-fiction work published in several regional newspaper and magazines. I have recently self-published a collection of ten short stories set in a community theatre.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

I think any of the ideas would be worth pursuing, though I agree with holding off on the sequel. You really have to go after the idea that, for like of a better term, is itching the back of your skull the most. Is there one of them that would almost give you hives if you didn't get to it as soon as possible? If the idea of putting off one of them makes you jittery, that is the one I think you need to go to next.

My short story collection, Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater is now available for 99 cents on Kindle, Apple devices and from Smashwords

The Little Dionysus Playhouse is a different place every day. Sure, its house, green room, lobby, and odd hallway may all look the same day in and day out, but the various people who call the community playhouse home bring different plans, visions, fears and follies into it as soon as they enter. So each day, to each person, it’s somewhere new. In the middle of all of that, art emerges. Eventually. The ten stories in Thank You for Ten: Short Fiction About a Little Theater explore both the drama and the comedy that takes place inside a community playhouse on and off the stage.

#7 AmandaBurckhard

AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

The problem is I'm itching to do the sequel haha. But I know I have to push it off so I'm gonna drown myself in a new work instead. I just can't decide which one!

#8 Mia K Rose

Mia K Rose

Lost in the Unreal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

If you love them all equally put them in a hat and draw one out. Just exclude the sequel idea ;)
Follow me on twitter.
Take a look at my blog.

#9 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, and the magazine Stupefying Stories.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

I have to play devil's advocate, here. If your hair is on fire to write the sequel, go ahead and do it. It will probably go relatively quickly, if you're all jacked up.

#10 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

1. If you're passionate enough to self-publish both if you can't sell them to an agent, then go for it. I hear series work well in the online market and a sequel tends to be easier than its predecessor. On the other hand, if you're set on paperback publishing, then you might want to go in a new direction until you can sell the first. You don't want to put all your eggs into one basket.

2. As much as I like Aladdin, this sounds like a one-off. There's not much room to grow.

3. I love this idea. It's original and there's a lot of ways to expand the story.

4. This would be considered a fanfiction since Grimm is already a popular TV show. If you do it, you'll be constrained by the show's rules and you'll have to jump through hoops to get the right permissions. I'm not certain how that works, but you wouldn't really be able to call the finished project 'mine'.
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#11 AmandaBurckhard

AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

Lol I know I really want to write the sequel but I think it might suck to go through the time writing it and not being able to query it ya know? There is one project I'm itching to write....but one of my friends told me it seemed over done and to through it out the window. What do you guys think?

It would be a YA contemporary romance about a girl in high school who seems to have everything going for her. Captain of the softball and basketball teams, class president, perfect grades, gets along with everybody, well off family etc. but she suffers from depression and has learned how to hide it. Her father has been grooming her to become a lawyer even though it's the last thing she wants to do. She is forced to take a photography class as an art credit but falls in love with it and meets a boy who sees behind her mask.

Idk I feel like I would love writing it but do you thinks it's too overdone?

#12 Eli Ashpence

Eli Ashpence

(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published "Genocide to Genesis"

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Lol I know I really want to write the sequel but I think it might suck to go through the time writing it and not being able to query it ya know? There is one project I'm itching to write....but one of my friends told me it seemed over done and to through it out the window. What do you guys think?

It would be a YA contemporary romance about a girl in high school who seems to have everything going for her. Captain of the softball and basketball teams, class president, perfect grades, gets along with everybody, well off family etc. but she suffers from depression and has learned how to hide it. Her father has been grooming her to become a lawyer even though it's the last thing she wants to do. She is forced to take a photography class as an art credit but falls in love with it and meets a boy who sees behind her mask.

Idk I feel like I would love writing it but do you thinks it's too overdone?

It's just one opinion, but I think it's a bad idea. What you have right there is a passive character too lucky to sympathize with. She sounds like a Mary Sue on crack. LOL That probably sounds harsh, but I see versions of this all the time and it makes me want to tear my hair out. She has everything going for her, but she can't appreciate any of it. WHY?! I know everyone feels that way sometimes, but I don't think I could stand to read about a over-achieving girl whining because everything is too easy... or handed to her.... or no one listens because she doesn't refuse loudly enough.

But, you know, I could be completely off-base. For all I know, you're sitting on a best-seller. ;P It would all depend on how you spin it. If you focused more on her romance with the photographer than the 'everything going for her, but she's still unhappy' aspect, I don't think my first reaction would be so negative.
g2g.jpg

Author of Genocide to Genesis

#13 AmandaBurckhard

AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

well I guess I left a few things out haha. Her father is super over protective and pushy "like my way or the high way" stuff and her mother is a bipolar compulsive gambler (which her father ignores). she's unhappy at home and works her butt off in everything else because she thinks it will help her get the hell away from home, even if it means going pre-law. her friends dont believe about her family because from the outside, it looks perfect. I was going to start the book with the first day of the class and add all the backstory in as it goes. so it wouldn't come across as "i'm a whiny lucky jerk" right off the bat bahah

#14 Aaron Bradford Starr

Aaron Bradford Starr

Penguin Rustler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published short stories, paintings, and interior art in Black Gate Magazine, Black Gate Online, and the magazine Stupefying Stories.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

It would be a YA contemporary romance about a girl... but do you thinks it's too overdone?

It might work if you added in zombies.

#15 AmandaBurckhard

AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

It might work if you added in zombies.

bahaha omg Aaron this made me laugh so hard I bought fell outta my chair. zombies would be a nice touch :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users