Disclaimer

Photo

Query that got 17 full requests + 4 offers of representation (and now a publisher)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:08 AM

Wow. I like that your query is succinct and tight. Not a lot of extra. :) Nice work.
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?"
-Henry Rollins

Realizing the plight of a writer: a) it's a lonely endeavor b) it wreaks of redundancy c) it is both satisfying and heartbreaking d) it's an exercise in futility. But when someone laughs or my words evoke a strong reaction on a page, it is all worthwhile.

Visit my blog
The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/

#22 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books on Sept. 9, 2014

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

Congratulations!

#23 Countrymouse

Countrymouse

Literary mouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None––as of yet. Fingers crossed that that will change.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Nice work!! Congrats.
Conventional opinion is the ruin of our Souls. ~Rumi~

#24 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, in-between agents, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction, most recently in the August 2010 issue of the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. For more information go to: www.brendacarre.com/

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Congratulations on such a positive response to your query. It is clear to me what kind of story you are presenting here and what is at stake. Really easy to see that the story is a gripping one and something that will appeal to a lot of readers. Well done!

#25 Miss Brittany

Miss Brittany

Dream Inventor

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Wow! I was so blown away about how simple but genius this letter is! You just got right to the point and eveything was very clean. Was this the entire letter? Again, wow! I'll be getting this book when it comes out.

p.s. congrats!
miss Brittany

#26 RandallSexton

RandallSexton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Academic

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

So awesome! :)

#27 cherie

cherie

YA writer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Short story pubbed last year. Recently agented.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:34 PM

I am NOT surprised. You're an amazing writer, Steph! Besides, a good query is nothing without a great, well-written book. It's really your book, your story, your words, that got you all the offers. Congrats! Very well-deserved. :)
A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.
--Richard Bach

"Writing is easy. All you have to do is stare at a blank piece of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." Gene Fowler

I'm a YA writer represented by Julia A. Weber of J.A. Weber Literaturagentur GmbH.
I hang out at http://readywritego.blogspot.com
Twitter: @writercherie

#28 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Congrats, Stephanie!

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#29 Whimsical_Werecat

Whimsical_Werecat

The Prowler of Prose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Award-winning short story, FINAL FLIGHT, published by Starsea Press via Smashwords.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling series), published by Starsea Press, available in eBook format at all leading online retailers.

KIN SEEKER (Book One in the Dragon Calling Series), published by Starsea Press, paperback edition available at numerous retailers, including Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Booktopia and Fishpond.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Congrats, Steph! That's amazing! So happy for you! *does super happy dance* :biggrin:

#30 stokes

stokes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 189 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:WHERE THE STAIRCASE ENDS will publish with Month9Books Spring 2015.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

Ahhh! That's such great news! Well deserved - congrats!!

Look for my debut novel WHERE THE STAIRCASE ENDS Spring 2015 (Month9Books)

Check out my blog ~ Thinking to Inking

Follow me on Twitter ~ @stacyastokes

Thank you!

#31 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

Congrats! You have a fantastic query, and I really hope you get an offer of representation (and a publisher) for it. You even picked my two current favorite books as comparables :). I will totally have to put EXTRACTION on my to-read list.
A Writer in Bloom blog: lorarpfictionblog.blogspot.com

#32 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,133 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:Indie publishing romance, magazine articles, etc., as well as traditionally published short stories.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

WOOT WOOT!!!! Have you decided yet? Have you? Have you? That is awesome. You'll get someone who shares your vision for sure if you get a choice!!!! This is awesome with a dollop of awesome and a side of awesome!! Okay, so excited for all the wonderful agent action happening for folks on AQC today that I am beyond making sense!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter *From The Write Angle

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

Check it out! I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com):

ChampagneLemonDrops_20K1-e1363631144721.   Whiskey78k-e1383796585580.jpg   Rum-e1397057240802.jpg

FREE!               $2.99         NEW Release!

#33 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yes, I'm officially represented by Alison Fargis of Stonesong now. For those who haven't heard. :)

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

#34 Diana O.

Diana O.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Congratulations, Stephanie! Sorry I didn't say it sooner, just now saw this! But that is such great news! Ms. Fargis is a lucky agent to have you!
"I dwell in Possibility." ~ Emily Dickinson

Visit my website: Presently in the Past

#35 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

You go, girl! You write beautifully and it's nice to see your writing recognized by the big peeps out there!

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#36 Stephanie B

Stephanie B

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Congrats! Your book sounds cool!

You can find my blog at Chasm of Books

#37 Brendacarre

Brendacarre

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, in-between agents, industry insider
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:I write fantasy, urban fantasy, young adult and romance fiction. I also write short fiction in a variety of genres. I have published short fiction, most recently in the August 2010 issue of the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction. For more information go to: www.brendacarre.com/

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yaay! congratulations, Stephanie.

#38 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Been meaning to chime in for a while. Better late than never. Congratulations! It sounds like it'll be a great read.

#39 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

Along with the whoots, (mine already registered), I am curious about the pattern of your queries. For this project how many did you submit? What was your rate of submission? (i.e. did you string out queries once a day, twice a day, 100 a day?) What was the filter you used to determine who to query? Did you query your top agents first or start at the bottom of your list.

All of this is by way of saying in my brief tenure here, I knew you to be a very advanced ingenue. You made some decisions selling this book and I'd like to know what your strategy was because it worked!

#40 Stephanie Diaz

Stephanie Diaz

The Girl Who Waited

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Pub intern. EXTRACTION, the first book in my YA sci-fi trilogy, will be out July 22, 2014 from St. Martin's Griffin.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

Tom, I'm happy to share! I definitely made mistakes along the way.

I started querying in January. I'd sent 20 or so queries when I decided the query wasn't working. I tried out a couple other variations to see if they would work any better, but they didn't. In early February, I happened upon the query for Across the Universe by Beth Revis and realized her model might work better for my story. So I whipped up the query posted above and sent it out without letting anyone critique it. :tongue: It was a risk, but it was the first query I was actually happy with, and it soon got me requests.

I sent queries in small batches--honestly, it was a random process, though I did make a point of saving agents higher on my list for later. I'd send more once I got a request, maybe only 2 or 3, maybe 10. I was very spontaneous. In late February, I got a call out of nowhere from an agent who'd requested a full. This was not The Call--he basically told me what was wrong with my book and gave me some suggestions for fixing it. I agreed with his thoughts, and realized I'd queried too soon. I held off querying for a month while I revised the book. About a week after I started querying again, I got an R&R, so again I held off querying while I did another revision. After that second revision, I sent out more queries, and a week later I had an offer.

Long story short--I sent out almost 140 queries, because I screwed up and had a query that wasn't working at first. I had 26 requests, mostly for fulls.

One interesting note: after I got my query right, I re-queried a couple agents and got full requests. One turned into the R&R. Another turned into an offer of rep, though I didn't end up picking that one. So, re-querying can work, if the query is completely different and the story is stronger. :happy:

EXTRACTION_FINAL_COVER.jpg

Extraction

St. Martin's Griffin

July 22, 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users