#1 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Waterstones, the UK's largest bookstore chain is to sell the Kindle and eBooks in its stores. Apparently they will get cut of eBook sales downloaded via their in-store wi-fi. This is interesting for people who like to browse physical books but prefer reading on devices.

This link requires login
http://lunch.publish...to-sell-kindle/

http://futurebook.ne...nt-dances-devil

#2 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

Waterstones is interesting because it previously announced deals with Kobo and B&N over the last year or two. The ability to buy books in the store is a newish twist, although the current Waterstone site already sells ebooks in epub format so I suppose that if Waterstones merely added wifi to their store they could sell Nook books as well.

All of which is to say that exactly what the current Amazon deal means is not overly clear.

#3 Gwen Ellery

Gwen Ellery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, SIMMER, is a steampunk fantasy set in Vienna during the 1873 World's Fair and will be out this fall. A chick-lit comedy series, PARIS PRATS, to follow.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Fascinating. I wonder what sort of cut Waterstones gets for each Amazon download in their stores. Perhaps all of retail will be like this in the future, with virtual retailers dominating and enlisting physical retailers to act as their agents?

In Germany there was for many years a catalog company that had small storefronts in backwater towns all over the country. People would go to the catalog shop to pick up their delivered goods or to get special help with orders. That company unfortunately went broke about a year ago, along with a department store chain. I think online catalog companies took over their business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users