#21 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Good luck, Emily.

#22 albrock

albrock

Some Low-Class Kind of Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Writing as A. L. Player: CLASS OF '98, a romantic comedy time-travel novel, available now on Amazon and B&N.com.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Got a full request off of query + partial. Second this week, feeling pretty good! :smile: My top choice has a self-imposed deadline of Tuesday on the full, but if they pass it's good to know there's more interest.

twitter: @amberlplayer

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Class of '98 (as A. L. Player): available now! http://www.goodreads...613-class-of-98

On Amazon

On Barnes & Noble

#23 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

Congrats to Emily and AlBrock! Hope you get the representation you want.

#24 Orange

Orange

Orange

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Good luck to everyone. I just sent off a query and the first three chapters. Fingers crossed for all of us.
Run with the Orange
The blog filled with zest and good taste

http://runwiththeorange.wordpress.com/

#25 w.o.

w.o.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Sent! Fingers crossed.
Good luck everyone!

#26 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hm, I still haven't recieved an answer back yet. Even on Querytracker it says she responds within a few days, regardless of positive or negative responses, yet I've been nearly a month. Maybe I got Spammed? :huh:
Shadow's Dawn (EF) -- Querying/ Editing

Morning Darkness (EF) -- WIP

Evening Light and untitled fourth book (EF) -- Outlining/Planning

#27 Aightball

Aightball

Deathbat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My short story ANGUISH will publish January 2014 in the Elephant Bookshelf Press winter anthology.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Going to keep her in mind when I'm ready to query again. Though I wonder...I do mainstream fiction...can that count under commercial? Despite researching, I still get confused as far as the two terms sometimes "melding", if you will.

Most girls are made of
sugar and spice and everything nice; they
screwed up the recipe for me: I'm made of
bat wings and broken things.

Query: http://agentquerycon...mercial-fiction

Blog: http://aightball.wordpress.com

Synopsis: http://agentquerycon...ercial-fiction/

Short Story "Anguish", in Winter's Regret: http://www.amazon.co...winter's regret

aertja.jpg

#28 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

Well, I sent a query and 3 chapters around May 24th and received a rejection today. It was a nice rejection though, and she'd obviously read the pages. (Just didn't "connect to the material as she hoped" -- I've seen similar wording before so I guess that's a standard statement).

Hope Emily gets better news!

I'm concerned about the "not connecting" thing in a way. My beta readers -- I have many and they aren't all my friends nor would they all say nice things just to be nice -- have all mentioned that my book is very gripping, a page turner, engaging characters, etc. Now, they're not agents but they also don't have to say those things (they have pointed out slow sections and other things to fine tune) so this is confusing. Is it engaging or isn't it? Readers (from a wide variety of backgrounds) say yes, but the last couple of agents have said no. Must ponder this. :blink:
At least I know they're now reading past the query! :smile:

#29 C.R. Rollinger

C.R. Rollinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Well, I sent a query and 3 chapters around May 24th and received a rejection today. It was a nice rejection though, and she'd obviously read the pages. (Just didn't "connect to the material as she hoped" -- I've seen similar wording before so I guess that's a standard statement).

Hope Emily gets better news!

I'm concerned about the "not connecting" thing in a way. My beta readers -- I have many and they aren't all my friends nor would they all say nice things just to be nice -- have all mentioned that my book is very gripping, a page turner, engaging characters, etc. Now, they're not agents but they also don't have to say those things (they have pointed out slow sections and other things to fine tune) so this is confusing. Is it engaging or isn't it? Readers (from a wide variety of backgrounds) say yes, but the last couple of agents have said no. Must ponder this. :blink:
At least I know they're now reading past the query! :smile:

Don't worry, Lucid - that is standard agent speak. I queried Ms. Anderson and received the same rejection an hour ago. I wouldn't take it heart for two reasons: the first is as you know this business is highly subjective and the second is because you need to persevere regardless. I don't think it's possible to write a book that is unanimously loved. You may go on to publish dozens of bestsellers but even then, there will be people who can't stand your books.

I don't want to offend fans of 50 Shades of Grey or Twilight but the writing quality of those books is average at best. Good, marketable ideas, but embarrasingly bad writing. It's clear what side of the fence I'm on with those two novels, but hordes of people, possibly even you, adore them. And that's fine! That's the amazing thing about art.

I've gotten 4 full requests and a couple partials for my current book, but I've had 4x that many rejections. I'll admit that there is a fleeting second where I wonder how my (amazing) writing didn't connect with them. Lol. It does hurt a little bit. But you can't continue to question yourself. In my opinion, it's probably better to be confident bordering on cocky with average talent than the reincarnation of Ernest Hemingway and think that your work sucks.

Keep writing! We have to enjoy the process of writing just as much as the potential rewards of getting published.

#30 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thanks, C.R. I do love to write and will keep at it, no matter what. I just want to make sure I'm taking advantage of every opportunity to hone my skills. Being an angsty, artsy type, I veer between great confidence and self-doubt. Fortunately deep down I do believe that my work is good. Can it be improved? Of course, but it is still pretty darn good. (And my beta readers all want the sequel, like yesterday, so I know I can reach at least certain readers).

I know there'll come a day when we'll be congratulating each another on our deals. I can see it!

P.S. Not a fan of either of those successful book series you mentioned. :smile:

#31 C.R. Rollinger

C.R. Rollinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, C.R. I do love to write and will keep at it, no matter what. I just want to make sure I'm taking advantage of every opportunity to hone my skills. Being an angsty, artsy type, I veer between great confidence and self-doubt. Fortunately deep down I do believe that my work is good. Can it be improved? Of course, but it is still pretty darn good. (And my beta readers all want the sequel, like yesterday, so I know I can reach at least certain readers).

I know there'll come a day when we'll be congratulating each another on our deals. I can see it!

P.S. Not a fan of either of those successful book series you mentioned. :smile:

Totally. There's not enough time in the day to spend on improving one's writing. It's a constant process that will last forever. Sounds like you have a solid story! And yes, we will congratulate each other when the time comes!

#32 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yep, I got the same rejection from her today. Might also just be her standard rejection. No biggie.
Shadow's Dawn (EF) -- Querying/ Editing

Morning Darkness (EF) -- WIP

Evening Light and untitled fourth book (EF) -- Outlining/Planning

#33 El_Hubby2263

El_Hubby2263

• Members
  • Pip
  • 104 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I self-published my first completed novel, "The Face", through Authorhouse. I couldn't afford to pay for all the advertising so I re-edited the book and put it up on Amazon Kindle for a very low price.

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

Also, when I checked on the linked website it was "under construction". Said to check back in December 2011, so... what's the scoop on this? Anyone know? I like to check the publishers' websites in addition to the AQ listing.

Yup, I just checked today and nothing :blush:

#34 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

I know this is later, but I just sent my query off. We shall see...
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?"
-Henry Rollins

Realizing the plight of a writer: a) it's a lonely endeavor b) it wreaks of redundancy c) it is both satisfying and heartbreaking d) it's an exercise in futility. But when someone laughs or my words evoke a strong reaction on a page, it is all worthwhile.

Visit my blog
The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/

#35 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ladies and Gents the front door of this website says it's going to be revised, but you can back door it. Google "Anderson Literary Management" with quotation marks and you'll get an index for the original website. Don't go to the front page where the disclaimer is, but select one of the subs.

Here are the listed (though clearly out of date) submission creiteria:

Our typical response time ranges from 5 minutes to 6 weeks. While we endeavor to respond to all queries as soon as possible, we receive approximately 20 to 30 queries per day, so please be patient and feel free to contact us if you have not received a reply after six weeks. Please do not call us to pitch your story. We prefer to see written material. We do not represent plays or screenplays. We do not represent science fiction, cookbooks, gardening, craft books or children's picture books. While we love literature in translation, we cannot accept samples of work written in languages other than English. We do not accept email queries.

Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir: Please submit a query letter, brief (1-3 page) synopsis, up to the first 50 pages, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope for our response. They should be mailed to Anderson Literary Management, 12 West 19th Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10011.

Nonfiction: Please submit a query letter, proposal, up to the first three chapters, and a self-addressed, stamped envelope for our response. They should be mailed to Anderson Literary Management, 12 West 19th Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10011.

Tom again. Note there is a request for a brief synopsis, but nothing shown here invites an electronic query. I suspect our new agent may have more material than the agency is accustomed to receive.

#36 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for that info., Tom. Wish I could have seen that website info. before I bothered with a query -- didn't have the info. and AQ at the time said "science fiction" was an accepted genre for them but apparently it isn't. Guess that explains the quick reject.

#37 K.M.Thompson

K.M.Thompson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

I would love to query to her....but like a few others on here, I'm concerned that the website was supposed to be up over a year ago and isn't. Something about that DOES seem a bit off....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users