#1 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

My son came up with this idea about four years ago and wanted me to write a children's holiday book but more as a thriller after reading some of Eoin Colfer, except funnier stuff and less dark elements, but still thrilling.

He's living undercover in an American suburb, head of a special Elven Forces team appointed by the Man in the Red Suit and is on a mission.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#2 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I love the idea, but it's a bit to close to one of Harlan Ellison's short stories, I think it's in Dangerous Visions. The story describes a 007 version of Santa Claus who is forced to wear the red suit when he's on a mission.

#3 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

i really love it! :laugh:

#4 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well the Man in the Red Suit isn't any sort of secret agent. He has his own job, and that's very different from that other book (which I haven't read). He has others who help him and thwart the other side...and I won't divulge my ideas for who they are or what their evil plans may be. The group of elven agents actually protect him from those flying and swarming around The Other.

Trust me, different. Very. Just checked out that book and thanks for the heads' up, but our plots are different. Been playing w/an outline for it the last few months when bored.

Thx Caterina!

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#5 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

And actually I screwed up the name I came up with. It's going to be J. JINGLE HEIMERSCHMIDT, UNDERCOVER ELF.

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#6 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I love it! I'm sure I'm not the only one singing the song in my head.

#7 Julez

Julez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Great title, great idea

#8 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

Thx. Can't take the credit, came from my son. Back when he was 10. He's 13 now. Avid reader!

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#9 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I've even thought of hooks already for this one.

"Four feet of frosty fury."
and
"His Fist Put the Fa in Your La La La!"

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#10 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

love your hook!

#11 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, YA Fantasy, Month9Books, released Sept. 2014. FACSIMILE & sequel, YA SciFi, coming from Month9Books in 2016.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like a winner.

#12 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like a winner.

#13 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

I might start on this one along with the sequel to TDB. It's fun and it will probably pull me through the holidays giving me something more to do. Driving home from work today, I began to work out a few more things in my mind regarding plot.

Not sure what age this would be for, but I'd aim for Harry Potter-ish age readers, which could be any age maybe? I'll just eliminate any foul four letters and keep any elven romance on the down-low.

Do y'all think it'll be difficult switching temporarily from adult to either middle grade or YA for this one? I'm thinking it needs to target middle grade kids, and esp those who still believe...like the proverbial Virginia.

When my son came up w/the idea, he still did. I miss that part of Christmas magic and maybe this will bring some of it back. :wub:

JoeynGA on Twitter!

~Mark Twain

#14 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:39 AM

I think it needs to be J. Jacob Jingle Heimershcmidt (his name is my name too) :)

Funny though. I like it!
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?"
-Henry Rollins

Realizing the plight of a writer: a) it's a lonely endeavor b) it wreaks of redundancy c) it is both satisfying and heartbreaking d) it's an exercise in futility. But when someone laughs or my words evoke a strong reaction on a page, it is all worthwhile.

Visit my blog
The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/

#15 w.o.

w.o.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

I like it! Sounds like something I'd read to my son. :)

#16 the transylvanian

the transylvanian

Writing as Camilia Crandell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:My paranormal THE TRANSYLVANIANS: Love and War, published by Crescent Moon Press, is available for purchase at Amazon.com, Kindle, and Barnes and Noble.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Joey, you rock - like always. :biggrin:

Imagination is better than knowledge  - Einstein

tnTheTransylvaniansLoveAndWar.jpg

www.the-transylvanians.com

#17 TonyLuv

TonyLuv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest