#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

A busy day ahead, and I'm already feeling behind. But I want to get this out there so those who like to can spark their creativity. Personally, I need coffee, but this helps too.

For any newcomers: use the following words in a short vignette of your creation. I'll give you a setting too. They're open to interpretation. No rules, no grades, no prizes from anyone but yourself. Have fun.

Words for the day (or week, or heck, come back to a thread months later and knock it out of the park):

Opportunity
Drive (use as verb or noun. Heck, you can use it as a character name.)
Game

Setting: a park. What kind of park you ask? Your kind of park.

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014.

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

It was past quitting time, so I took the opportunity to stroll over to the park and see if I might relax my mind. Between the argument with my boss and the spilled coffee that destroyed a co-worker's computer -- Oh! and the guy who plummetted to his death and landed on the double-decker bus on the avenue -- I was game for anything that promised a moment of silence.

I sat on a bench, closed my eyes, and tried to imagine myself on a beach with a beer in one hand and a blonde on the other.

Somewhere, I heard God say, "Cue the megaphone!" and I was amid a protest calling for the rights of gerbils with communicable diseases. With that, I decided I needed a beer. If I found a blonde too, I'd be a happy man.

#3 Josh L

Josh L

My recommendation is essentially a guarantee.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:ETCHED IN SOUL AND SKIN - May 2013

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

"Drive! NOW!"

She didn't even give me the opportunity to swallow my last bite of bagel before she shoved the gun in my face.

"Get this thing moving!" she snarled as I fumbled with the keys. My old cab wasn't in the shape it used to be. Sure, it passed the regulation inspections, but it sure as hell wasn't the same monster it was ten years ago. Too many long stretches spent on the road.

It wasn't my first stickup, so I kept my cool, as much as I could with a half-swallowed piece of bread refusing to slide down my throat. It didn't take too long to get the engine roaring or the wheels spinning. She didn't say where to go, she just waved the gun around in vague directions as I weaved my way into traffic and away from the little park I'd been resting at.

"Y'know," I said as the lumpy bagel finally slid past my windpipe, "I've played this game before. You ain't gonna get half a block from this cab before the cops get you."

"Oh yeah? Watch me." Her mouth was locked in a sneer. In my rear view mirror, I could see the thin rivers of blood that flowed down her cheeks. She wasn't the most beautiful creature I'd ever seen, she had definitely seen something rough, but she wasn't awful to look at. It broke my heart to see her so cruel and desperate. If it had been any other circumstance, I'd have taken the opportunity to maybe ask her on some kind of date after my shift.

All I could do was drive.

bzdSmSO.jpg  The Sky Demons are coming...

You will not find insight here.

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Nice job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users