Timelord & Traveler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,686 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Smashwords, Kindle Direct Publishing, Createspace

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

I haven't heard of many publishers who have such a narrow timeframe. Most either accept unagented submissions or don't. I know Tor and Baen do and at any time of the year. Most of the Random House imprints (the ones I care about anyway) won't look at you if you don't submit through an agent. There are quite a few of them, but unlike agents where you can submit to more than one at a time, with publishers you have to confine it to one publisher at a time and wait for their response before submitting to the next one. That's why it can take time.

Website, Blog

Writing as Scott Seldon:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

Writing as Robert Courtland:
Website, Blog, Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and iTunes

#22 MichelleKeats

MichelleKeats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

"It's large because I have a great deal of detail in the book, i want to offer my readers a porterhouse at best steak house in town, which means giving their imagination as much to work with as possible."

I see your point, Michelle, but sometimes "a great deal of detail" can work against you . . .

I definitely see your point, perhaps i've been too rigid in my thinking of what "needs to stay," I'm pretty sure i can aim for a lower word count, and I very much appreciate all the feedback :), its invaluable to have help like this prior to submitting something, god knows it'd be a disaster without it. Thanks again

#23 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my debut novel, Medusa's Desire.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

The people on here have helped me so much, too. You have no idea. I'd be so lost without my beta readers, people who have read my queries, and people who have helped me with synopses. I learn so much from them.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#24 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Ok, my question is opposite than what was first asked - is 60-65k too low for an adult paranormal?

I world built for a large portion of the book, interweaving the story throughout (and someone else told me they wrote their YA sci-fi in only 65k, based on a new planet, without problems)

Is that too low a figure? I'm just about wrapping the book up as it's already nearing the end, otherwise it might seem like I'm dragging the story out.

Thoughts?

#25 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS and GRAVE DESTINATIONS are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ok, my question is opposite than what was first asked - is 60-65k too low for an adult paranormal?

I world built for a large portion of the book, interweaving the story throughout (and someone else told me they wrote their YA sci-fi in only 65k, based on a new planet, without problems)

Is that too low a figure? I'm just about wrapping the book up as it's already nearing the end, otherwise it might seem like I'm dragging the story out.

Thoughts?

That sounds a little light, Caterina.

#26 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, YA Fantasy, Month9Books, released Sept. 2014. FACSIMILE & sequel, YA SciFi, coming from Month9Books in 2016.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

What's the rule of thumb again? If the word count comes in at 102,480 do you have to list 103,000? Or can you list 102,500?

I have already cut so much and can't seem to get down to 100,000. It's not being overly descriptive, it's a complicated plot issue. But I'm still working on it.
Will never get it to 80,000 though. So I guess I'll aim for 100,000 or just under and if I get rejected because of word count ... That's the way it is. The book is what it is and I'll just have to write something shorter and shelve this one for a while if word count is the main criteria.

My beta readers all say the book reads very quickly, so that's something, I guess.

#27 Lori Sjoberg

Lori Sjoberg

Resident pain in the rear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:GRAVE INTENTIONS and GRAVE DESTINATIONS are now available from Kensington Publishing.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

What's the rule of thumb again? If the word count comes in at 102,480 do you have to list 103,000? Or can you list 102,500?

I have already cut so much and can't seem to get down to 100,000. It's not being overly descriptive, it's a complicated plot issue. But I'm still working on it.
Will never get it to 80,000 though. So I guess I'll aim for 100,000 or just under and if I get rejected because of word count ... That's the way it is. The book is what it is and I'll just have to write something shorter and shelve this one for a while if word count is the main criteria.

My beta readers all say the book reads very quickly, so that's something, I guess.

In that case, I'd probably round to the nearest ten thousand mark and say it was "approximately 100,000 words." You're so close, what'a a couple thousand between friends? :wink:

#28 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, YA Fantasy, Month9Books, released Sept. 2014. FACSIMILE & sequel, YA SciFi, coming from Month9Books in 2016.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

Well, I've managed to get down to 101,098. Only 198 words to go! (I'm examining every word, believe me!) :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users