Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,740 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:55 AM

POPULAR

Hey there all you AQC new members,

Welcome to AQConnect. As new members of the forums, you have an unique perspective on what it's like to join our writing community, and for this reason, we'd love to hear from you.

Feel free to post a few tips and suggestions in this thread for the reading pleasure all your fellow newbie members who would like to get involved, but just don't know how or where to start.

Every single member of AQConnect was once a "new member," so we value everyone's contributions.

Happy AQConnecting...

#2 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

POPULAR

Ditto-ing AQCrew's welcome.

The biggest tip I learned as a beginner on this awesome site is this:

Don't be afraid, be respectful.

In other words, your opinion matters. How you view something or what you feel about something is uniquely yours and it is not wrong. So, don't be afraid to voice your opinion and don't be afraid if someone contradicts you. Instead, respectfully listen to the thoughts and opinions of others. You might be surprised by what you learn--or what you can teach.

The writing biz is complicated. Every day I learn something new and I've been at this for a long time. In fact, one of the most valuable things I've learned about my writing came from a peer so new to the process she hadn't even finished her own novel yet.

Don't be afraid. If you have a question ask it. If you have an opinion share it.

Be respectful. Treat others as you would like them to treat you. If you want a critique, give one. If you disagree with commentary, listen to it then ignore it.

In the process, you'll learn great things, meet great people and be a part of the best writing community on the web.

Oh yeah, and if you write for kids, PM me and I'll provide a password so you can learn a little more about the nuances of the juvenile biz. We've got great members who can help answer questions and address concerns specific to this age group.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#3 The Steel Man

The Steel Man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, Cat, for the great words of wisdom.

#4 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

Ach, I've made enough mistakes to last a lifetime. No point in having every one else make the same ones.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#5 EMDelaney

EMDelaney

Senor' Da Lima

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-publishing my work by choice

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

POPULAR

I'll take a stab at it. I'm not new per say, in that I was on the old site for a short time before the transition, but I'm new enough I imagine.

I would think the most apprehension lies in the area of being hesitant to critique others. I was slightly apprehensive because I didn't feel like I had the experience to comment on other's work. I'm not a heavy now, yet I do comment on certain threads. I find, that a lot of the crit I give mirrors that of what has been offered to me at some point to a certain degreee. I have however, begun to incorporate my own opinions into it. I've learned one very valuable lesson about querying. TAKE YOUR TIME! Evaluate carefully. With this particular part of your journey, slow down.

One thing I have started doing is NEVER writing a revision the day I recieve the critique. I find myself reading the crit several times before I respond, IF I respond at all. You have to evaluate the crit carefully because despite the seeming experience level of the critiquer, it is your story and YOU know it best.

That is not to say that you should not listen to the fine folks' advice on here. Personally, my query isn't anywhere near the same as the first one I offered. This has come as a result of advice and direction I have rec'd here. There are some wonderful, talented people on here who are gracious with their time and can be very helpful. You have to decide who, which and what critique is important to you and how to use it. Ironically, even a poor critique at times, can be helpful.

Be mindful, involvement is what makes this site go round. Please take, we welcome it, but give as well. It is understood that most will stack up on the side of take at first but once you have picked up a thing or two and feel you have something to offer, please do.

Good Luck to you all.
If you continue to think the way you've always thought, you will continue to get what you've always got!

#6 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 31 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

Well put, EM. Good, solid advice on how to take criticism on your query (which also applies to your manuscript, actually).

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#7 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

POPULAR

One thing I learned as a newbie on the site was to take my time and look around. Read posts, see if my questions had already been asked and answered, get a feel for the way things work. It's intimidating to want to post a question or even offer a tidbit of advice. It's intimidating to approach a bunch of strangers and strike up a conversation sometimes. Fortunately, I've met a lot of people here who are warm, welcoming, and are in for the long-haul. They love to help, and they need things too. Yes, even from a newcomer. Everyone has their own level of experience. And then there's the good old adage that you get what you give. The more you give in a community like this, the more you'll get back. And this is one of those sites that are worth it.

#8 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:43 AM

I echo you Clippership.

Also note that there is a handy search function that helps you find those old threads. (Up at the top of the page under your profile picture.) I use it to find topics that I know are on here, and I'm sure they'll be handy for the new arrival looking to see if a topic has already been discussed. And hey, even if nobody has commented in that topic/thread for a long time, go ahead and post something in there--it'll bump the topic back up to the top of the group's list and maybe renew the conversation for those who are wondering the same thing(s).

Enjoy!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#9 logan5

logan5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

Hi Cat,

Would just like to say thanks for the warm welcome. First impressions are that this is an excellent website and really friendly. My only fear at the moment is making a fool of myself by not understanding how to write to people so I hope I haven't over written what you have said.

Take care.
Steve.

Ditto-ing AQCrew's welcome.

The biggest tip I learned as a beginner on this awesome site is this:

Don't be afraid, be respectful.

In other words, your opinion matters. How you view something or what you feel about something is uniquely yours and it is not wrong. So, don't be afraid to voice your opinion and don't be afraid if someone contradicts you. Instead, respectfully listen to the thoughts and opinions of others. You might be surprised by what you learn--or what you can teach.

The writing biz is complicated. Every day I learn something new and I've been at this for a long time. In fact, one of the most valuable things I've learned about my writing came from a peer so new to the process she hadn't even finished her own novel yet.

Don't be afraid. If you have a question ask it. If you have an opinion share it.

Be respectful. Treat others as you would like them to treat you. If you want a critique, give one. If you disagree with commentary, listen to it then ignore it.

In the process, you'll learn great things, meet great people and be a part of the best writing community on the web.

Oh yeah, and if you write for kids, PM me and I'll provide a password so you can learn a little more about the nuances of the juvenile biz. We've got great members who can help answer questions and address concerns specific to this age group.

#10 Storyteller

Storyteller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:19 PM

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice for Newbie's :biggrin:

I have never been published so this is my biggest dream right now. I am all thumbs with it comes to "what to do???" Do I need an Agent, what is the market like, what is the cost associated with it? Should I focus on fiction or non-fiction? The list goes on and on...I have some great book ideas but they are all in my head! Getting published will be a great and wonderful accomplishment!

Storyteller

#11 Caroline Hartman

Caroline Hartman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:No

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hello, Your site was recommended to me by Emmett Delaney, who has become a good friend. I've written a terrific historical romance set in America's Civil War, and I'm looking for help in creating an effective query letter that will entice literary agents to read it. As many of you may know writing an epic novel is a piece of cake compared to the dreaded query letter, not to mention the super dreaded synopsis. I've read your blogs on how to write the query, have one in the mill, now how do I forward it for suggestions?

#12 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

simply post it in the Query Critiques section of the forums, Caroline, and we'll take a look at it.

And welcome to AQC! :biggrin:

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#13 williamkball

williamkball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have never been published other than my music and concert reviews for the Delaware Tech Times when I was taking journalism in college.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

So much to echo!

So I wont.

As Clippership stated, I have found that taking time to look around, check out the site and the posts by individual members is a great way to get familiar with the community and how it works. I am a newbie and I jumped in with both feet which is good, I think, but after taking more time to look around and learn, my stunningly ridiculous questions may now be cut to a minimum. :) Actually no question is ridiculous and no member has yet to make me feel otherwise. All that has been stated above is a good example of what any fellow newbie here can expect as far as suggestions and responses. To be cliche to the point that I would merit the much sought after "green puke face" emoticon, This Site Simply ROCKS!

#14 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

NEW: I've just added a Quick Guide here on how to post, edit a post, create a new topic (and change its title), quote folks in your post replies, and maybe even a few added tips on top of that. Be sure to check it out if you are new to the site and are trying to wean yourself off headache remedies.

Enjoy!

#15 DaybyDay

DaybyDay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thank you for all this advise. I am a new person here and in once way I do feel like most have more experience than I. In another way I feel at home to be with those who love to write. I too want to be published one day, but for now I am enjoying the journey of writing my thoughts down and creating stories. I am on my way to completing my second novel and I look forward to writing many more. :smile:

#16 Vampirique Dezire

Vampirique Dezire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I have one short story that has been published in an anthology by Rachel Kramer Bussel that is due out on February 1st 2011 called Gotta Have It: 69 Stories of Sudden Sex.

This is my very first story to be submitted and accepted, I was very taken aback to be chosen, especially when the majority of other writers have already been published.

I am now waiting for July to roll around as I have 2 more short stories about to be published in e book format through Naughty Nights Press.

At the moment I am working on one short story, a sequel to a story I have coming out in July and for the past twelve months have been working on my first book.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:20 AM

This site was recommended by Kate Evangelista on her blog. Kate was talking about critiquing partners, which is what I am in desperate need of at the moment. Finding information like Kate's can be invaluable to anyone who is not only new at writing but who is also trying to perfect their craft.

So far I have found the site easier to navigate than some others I have been a member of and the comments left by people on here in the forum to be clear and concise and informative.

I am looking forward to getting to know a lot of you and if I get nothing else out of this, I know I will walk away with some more information to file away in that ever expanding filing system I call my brain.
Posted Image

#17 hwfLon

hwfLon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:in-between agents
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:My writing has been produced on the stage and on screen, but I have not yet published a book.

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:39 AM

I've just registered. By way of introducing myself please see my website www.hwfreedman.com.

#18 Ria

Ria

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Publishing Experience:The only thing I have published is a poem in the Book of Dreams by united Press LTD. I entered one of there competitions and got through to the penultimate round but didn't win. They then contacted me saying they really loved the poem even though it didn't win and would love to publish it.

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi all I guess I'm the latest newbie. Found the site with some searching as I wanted to try and get in touch with other writers and also find a good critique partner. Going to go off and have a browse and familiarise myself with the site.

Ria

#19 CJ Brassington

CJ Brassington

In Query-building Mode

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thank you, Jean, for the tip on how to search for a topic that might have already been written. Should've been a no-brainer probably but I hadn't noticed the search field. Although, wondering aimlessly in search of one does present me with others that I might not have looked for specifically.

Such a wealth of helpful information here. Loving it.
CJ Brassington
"My heart overflows with a good theme;
I address my verses to the King;
My tongue is the pen of a ready writer
." Psalm 45:1

#20 Phoebe

Phoebe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have self published a novella and a couple of short stories on Lulu.com.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

:biggrin: Well I'm new to AQC and I feel very welcomed. I'm excited to be part of a social network with like-minded individuals. I look forward to browsing and connecting with other writers. My biggest challenge is query letters, so I know I will be hanging around the query critiquing forums.

Regards,

Phoebe
Regards,

Phoebe Brown
Visit my website here
View romance tips and advice here
View my book trailer at

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users