MikeF_NZ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:Zero.

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Hi, another Newbie here. I've written a novel of about 100k words. It took a fair old while around other things. I'm just starting to look for an agent as I've heard they now handle most of the new author development rather than publishers. Also I figure they could probably negotiate a better deal. Motivated by a compulsive desire to get my book published, I'd probably end up signing something that gave me half a Shrewsbury biscuit for every 100,000 copies sold. Anyway, cart before horse. My creation is somewhere in the spectrum beween Five Go Mad in Dorset and Dostoyevsky with a hangover. Feedback has been positive... from people who care about my feelings. So it's time to give it to someone who would be equally comfortable giving a smiling thumbs up or shaking their head gravely and advising me not to give up my day job. Its good to be around others in the same position. 'Cheers'.

#202 captflash80

captflash80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Two novels,numerous short stories, one Novella

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hi Y'all,

Permit me, please, to introduce myself. My name is Jim Bergstad and I write under the rather creative pen name of J B Bergstad. I must admit it took me a while to come up with that pen name, it being so foreign and all, but I managed at last. I write Fiction and yes it is with a capital F because mine is considered "old school" by todays standards. I don't write about strange, worlds, parallel worlds or ether worlds and any other kind of world except the screwed up, scary, sometime evil, but most times wonderful earthbound planet we live on and the conglomeration of mostly beautiful people that inhabit our world. Stories come to me from various places, in various and sometimes magical ways, it seems. Sometimes it only takes a word or a sentence or statement made in a conversation I'll have with friends or cyber friends and I'm off in my writers world and the next thing you know, bingo a new story develops. Anyway, I don't want to bore anyone so I'll sign off. Glad to be here and hope we can help

each other move forward in the wonderful, magical world we writers live and work in.     JBB

PS: I'm also known as the king of the run-on sentence ... my bad.

The most insidious hypocrisy lives in the pocket of the Prophet.

#203 Carmel

Carmel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've been published in Huffington Post, Upworthy, Scary Mommy and some minor publications in Ireland where I was born and raised.

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Hi!

I'm new to this site and looking forward to learning heaps and connecting with other writers/ and those currently sending out queries. I've written a memoir on mother loss and I'm currently seeking agents. Trying hard to find a good match.

~Carmel

#204 al1875150

al1875150

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:34 AM

Hello,

My name is Al and I'm a self-published author. It appears this forum is filled with tons of information. Although I have lots of questions, I will wait until I've browsed the site. I just wanted to say hello.

#205 Olaf Kroneman

Olaf Kroneman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:27 PM

I have had several short stories published which can be read on my website Olafkroneman.com. I have a novel entitled, "Detroit Heroic." It is historical fiction that chronicles events in Detroit from the beginning of the 67 Detroit riot and ending one later with the Detroit Tigers winning the world series. The novel concerns a first year medical intern working in the inner city.  He confronts racism, police brutality and the criminal underworld that takes advantage of the social disintegration. He becomes a threat to the criminals and corrupt cops and is framed for the death of a young woman following an illegal abortion. (all too common before Roe v Wade.) He is pursued by Detroit homicide and the mob. He is saved by an ecclectic Motown medley of pimps, prizefighters, prostitutes, Vietnam vets, clerics and honest cops.

The topics are 50 years old but very relevant as it appears our society is dangerously revisiting them once again.

3 stories from the novel have been published as short sotries and two can be found at my website-The Detroit Veterans Hospital" and "Cuddle the Schizophrenic but Fear the Bi-Polar."

Olaf Kroneman

#206 kdall

kdall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:38 PM

Shiny, new and ready to learn. I've gleaned a few good tips just reading the open forums here, and I'm excited to take it all back to my work. See you on the boards!

#207 Brikkin

Brikkin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:07 AM

Hi there. Debut fantasy author. I shelved about four books before I thought I finally got a good one. About to start querying and looking for advice. Nice to cyber meet y'all!

#208 lomonacov

lomonacov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:I have publish several short stories in Futures Mysterious Anthology Magazine (a print magazine) and I won 2nd prize in Italy for one of my short stories.

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

I have no idea what this site is about. It says Agent Query Connect. Not sure how that translates. Do we put queries here? Or ask for critiques on queries?

I'm ready willing and able to join in. If I knew what it was all about.

Virginia. :huh:

#209 ThinBone

ThinBone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I was a temp in the marketing department at Sterling Publishing before pursuing film & TV production.

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:51 PM

I've been looking for a forum for a while now, and look forward to getting some honest critique on my writing. 

A woman with coke bottle glasses and a gnarly goatee just asked me for the time. I am in the NYPL. She has bags from strand, and they are filled with other bags from strand. She is reading four books at once now. Incredible, probably a savant. 

#210 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:23 AM

I think I've met that woman ;-)

#211 sobellejanet

sobellejanet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first documentary was nominated for a regional Emmy award. All of my video scripts were produced and aired publicly.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

I have reduced my photo to 80x100 pixels and it will not upload.  What is the problem?

#212 Korina-Maya

Korina-Maya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hello... Just created this account...

I must tell you I feel scared that I will never be able to write the perfect query...as I think I am in more difficult situation than everybody else here...

The reason?

My English is not good...I am from Greece...

I checked so many successful queries and OMG...I was shocked!

No wonder why the 4 agents I tried to contact answered in like half hour to say they are not interested...

Propably everyone will laugh if sees my query...which really I want you guys to see it if possible...
I guess here is not the right topic for that and I will try right now to find the appropriate topic...but just in case if someone is online now and wants to share the right link with me would be great!

What do you think guys? Someone with not good English can ever manage to have a good query?

#213 Sreid

Sreid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None, except for querying a sci-fi thriller and a previous version of book 1 in my fantasy series (didn't secure representation).

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hi,

I'm new here. Been writing for decades (mostly sci-fi and epic fantasy). Nothing published yet, but I'm hoping top get some help with query lettter writing from this sight, as well as helping others in my situation. I'm currently in the process of finishing a rewrite of the first book in my epic fantasy series TALE OF TAILS, in a world where magic has been cursed and the gods are all dying or lost, except for those who had their divinity striped from them and are now out for revenge.

Steve

#214 Leo Fox AU

Leo Fox AU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first book is published on Amazon and it is availible for paperback and e-reader. It is called The Book of John.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

Hi I am new to the writing business and I want to find out how to gain more attention to my works as well as network with other artists.

I have also published my first novel on Amazon and I would love to get some critical feedback on it.

#215 Leo Fox AU

Leo Fox AU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first book is published on Amazon and it is availible for paperback and e-reader. It is called The Book of John.

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hey Steve, have you tried self publishing?

#216 NJP

NJP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Black Opal Books

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Hello, Everyone: I'm NJ. Looking forward to our discussions. 

#217 Michi MacMichael

Michi MacMichael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Greetings everyone!  I'm looking forward to meeting many of you and sharing some stories or just stories, if you take my meaning :cool:

#218 Qnique Sincere

Qnique Sincere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Hi, im new to the site. I just read thur pretty mich everyones post and i wa t to say ty to all. Everyones input jas proved to be a great help as i began my journey through the site.

#219 angievox33

angievox33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:nada

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Hi Everybody!

I just discovered this forum and I'm excited to jump down the rabbit hole and start exploring topics.  I am a PB writer at this moment, focusing on fiction...but have a plethora of ideas in the wheelhouse that I'm trying to keep caged in until the first few books get their fair share of attention!  I've been studying craft in earnest for at least a year and have 1 story ready to submit...4 others ready for critique at this time.  Looking forward to learning from the wisdom of this community!  Is there a PB specific group?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users