Joeyw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Anne, yes this very new to me to. Let me know when you get this figured.. Out. I have millions of questions

#222 kkwhatkk

kkwhatkk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 08 November 2017 - 07:53 AM

hey, guys, i'm a student from Australia and would love your opinion on my creative story that was assigned from my school. Please feel free to be completely honest with me thank you.

When I was just a young boy, my father and I would go out to the coast to explore the white sparkling sand that resembled thousands of stars. We would spend hours jumping and dancing in the icy blue sea that was so clear, it was clear as glass. When we became tired, father and I would watch every cloud forming their mysterious shapes and we would use our imagination to guess what it was. These monumental days went on forever. A never-ending journey of exploration of the golden beach that my father and I have once claimed land, the land once we cried with laughter and understanding the beauty of the fiery sunset. As 20 years have passed, I’m standing on the very same beach with the same dancing flames of sand, radiating my toes as I admire the beauty that nature as created. I cannot help but think of him. He would always carry a map and would say “the gods are always going to trick you Charles, that’s why we follow the map.” And now what’s left is grief and pain inside of me as if he had shared his feelings and disappeared.

To me, I admire him as an explorer not some kind of Geologist or Cartographer. He would often go out to the world for months and each time he came back he would tell me stories of mystical creatures he had found and fought, treasures he swore was made from diamonds that was too blinding to take. Even though I loved his stories and I screeched with excitement whenever he told me. I would hide my annoyance of him leaving me again and again. “Pa, why are you leaving again and why does it have to be so long?” “Well son I don’t want to disappoint you with my stories, besides explorers go out with a bang,” he said with a cheeky wink.

The harsh reality behind my father’s stories was never up to my expectations. Every trip he made he became more obsessed with his projects; every trip he took his office would be filled with coloured post notes that would make you sick if you stared at it long enough. I would always be waiting for him to get home. My favourite spot was at the door whenever I would hear his footsteps I would be the first person to open the door and whenever I do I swear the door would get lighter. He would greet me and pick me up, spin me around as if it was just me and him in a different universe. When he was in his office, I would sit beside the closed door with my ear pressed on the wood trying to figure out what his project entailed. I would imagine that he was the only genius, figuring every riddle that had come to challenge him. Whenever he had figure out the riddle he would burst out of the door followed by a gust of wind and laugh, with me up in the air laughing with him we would dance and sing while he showed me his work of art; the maps. I’m glad that I had captured these moments, because as time has passed he had forgotten our tradition of summer days at the coast and even so, me too.

How I come to finally realise that he was gone when I couldn’t find my inner youth. How I realised time was playing games with me every minute, every second he would change into a different man, but obviously, I didn’t realise that I was just a simple child. As time goes by he would go for months in his “adventures” and lock himself in his office for eternity trying to memorise the ghastly post notes trying so hard to keep it fresh in his mind that he became obsessive. His sickness grew every second when he spent time in that room. When he finally opened his door, instead of picking me up and cheering for his victory he slammed me across my face. The burning and tingling sensation spread effortlessly while hearing the painful words of “go away, you are useless and distracting me from my work”. My mother rushed in and comforted me saying “It’s alright Charles he’s just tired, let’s just leave it”. After that, I never saw him as a man, as a father or even an explorer I had once admires and aspired to be. He was now just an obsolescence who is obsessed with rocks; he’s no one to me. He would occasionally let out a scream of frustration because he would have forgotten or couldn’t solve a text and worst of all he would pack his wrecked leather suitcase and not knowing where to go.

One summer morning mother and I smelt something burning. It was like a trail of black wings guiding us and once we open the door, the horror laid on display for us to see. The burning of his art turned into nothing but flames and he was lying in the middle of all the mess with the very first map he had ever created with an emotionless expression.

I’m now pulling myself out of the past and jumping back to reality, I now know I have the power of forgiveness. I knew he had a choice to stop, a choice to restart his life but he didn’t because he thought he was chasing his dreams and nothing could’ve stopped him not me nor time. Life is unexpected and people change: in my case, it wasn’t for the better but my father was suffering and I forgive him even if he decided to leave me forever because now he is in peace, I guess that’s what makes me human. How I can take this lesson and carry this through my journey. I brought out the urn of ashes and set it free with the crystal sea while I burned the once beloved map watching it float its way to the next destination.

#223 GlobalWatchman

GlobalWatchman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:Published nonfiction through a small "collective"; we used the CreateSpace.com and Amazon Kindle publishing platforms. (Softbound book and e-book.)

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hi, all. While I'm not new to writing -- been doing it my whole life -- I'm fairly new to fiction writing. Interested in political-economic and dystopian science fiction, of which I have a sizable collection. I discovered this site searching for "agent query" as I've written what I plan to market as "the first novel of the Donald Trump era." The first that I know of, anyway. One New York agent (might as well start at the top) wasn't interested. Looking for another. Started writing a second novel this month, set (perhaps) 50 years in the future. Enough for now. Peace. S. 

#224 hillgirl

hillgirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:None yet, looking to find an agent for my first manuscript.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

Hello everyone,

I have completed my first murder/mystery novel and completed my query letter. How do I go about posting it for critiquing? 

#225 WWP

WWP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I created and served as editor of a Scottish historical re-enactment newsletter where I wrote several historical articles and some comedy pieces just for fun. After I relinquished the position, I researched and wrote a 20-part series on the Scottish Monarchs, which is on its third run since it was first published over 20 years ago.

Posted 29 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hey there all you AQC new members,

Welcome to AQConnect. As new members of the forums, you have an unique perspective on what it's like to join our writing community, and for this reason, we'd love to hear from you.

Feel free to post a few tips and suggestions in this thread for the reading pleasure all your fellow newbie members who would like to get involved, but just don't know how or where to start.

Every single member of AQConnect was once a "new member," so we value everyone's contributions.

Happy AQConnecting...

Hi, I'm less than an hour new.  Since I was raised in the era of lead pencils and manual typewriters, I've not had much success trying to use and/or navigate web sites, forums, etc. To the dismay of my children, other relatives, and friends, I abandoned Facebook for the same reason. Since I don't believe any question is 'stupid', I'm gonna ask....How do I present a copy of my current Query Letter for critique? I've submitted it to dozens of agents so far without any success.  So I guess I'm just not selling it right.  I would appreciate any help with the technical problem I have with navigating web sites and any suggestions or critique of my Query Letter.  Thanks in advance.

#226 lnloft

lnloft

LNLOFT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:13 AM

Hi, I'm less than an hour new.  Since I was raised in the era of lead pencils and manual typewriters, I've not had much success trying to use and/or navigate web sites, forums, etc. To the dismay of my children, other relatives, and friends, I abandoned Facebook for the same reason. Since I don't believe any question is 'stupid', I'm gonna ask....How do I present a copy of my current Query Letter for critique? I've submitted it to dozens of agents so far without any success.  So I guess I'm just not selling it right.  I would appreciate any help with the technical problem I have with navigating web sites and any suggestions or critique of my Query Letter.  Thanks in advance.

Hi, WWP. If you want to post your query for critique, go back to the main page, and then find the board titled "AQ Connect - Query Critiques". There's a button right up at the top where you can start a new topic, and you can copy and paste your query into your post. Just make sure you read the post about the posting rules first. Good luck!

Nothing to reciprocate on right now; I'm off in the query trenches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users