218 replies to this topic

#21 Desire4Fire

Desire4Fire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have two published novels, published book I and book II in 2010 through a print by demand publisher.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

I too, while seeking advice on quering - seem to have blundered by deleting my very first query to add another in its place.. * I now know to just keep posting - even if its #23 - so that progress can be noted.. from where you start. At first I wasn't so much frustrated at the actual critique as I was as questions as to *How does this relate? or other such critiques that question the story... I was like wait* I do have a connection and I found myself defending... Soooo... no defense.. I just actually try and give my reasoning.. for the understanding that it will make my work better regardless. I finally am moving in the right direction.. Strong advice..
Don't give up! You get a lot of help and support.. I'm so grateful!

Desire4Fire

#22 Anthony Chisolm

Anthony Chisolm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:NA

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

Attached File  book cover g.jpg   279.18KB   2 downloadsMy name is Anthony Chisolm, I am a newbie, so first I would like to say hello to everyone here. Also as part of the family I am offering my services to anyone that may need help with your book covers or any type of promotional art work free of any charge, as long as I am not busy and I have the time. I love doing it so don't be afraid to reach out.

#23 GaryKassay

GaryKassay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Self published with IUniverse

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Thanks for giving some tips to us newbies. I have written four books and sef published the first through IUniverse. Unfortunately I have found that unless you are willing to put more and more money into their company...they are not much help. That is why I am looking for a literary agent and a traditional publisher. If anyone out there can assist me I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, the title of my book is, "Murder in Silence". I can be reached at grdianofgotham56@aol.com. Thanks to all!

#24 expatriate

expatriate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationSouth America
  • Publishing Experience:SMITH COUNTY JUSTICE
    SHANGHAI DIARY
    MICAH'S MOUNTAIN

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hey there all you AQC new members,

Welcome to AQConnect. As new members of the forums, you have an unique perspective on what it's like to join our writing community, and for this reason, we'd love to hear from you.

Feel free to post a few tips and suggestions in this thread for the reading pleasure all your fellow newbie members who would like to get involved, but just don't know how or where to start.

Every single member of AQConnect was once a "new member," so we value everyone's contributions.

Happy AQConnecting...

I published several books back in the 80s, one of which was very successful. I was contacted by producers in Hollywood and went the route with them to visit NBC, Hallmark, CBS and the rest. Each one was filled with promises and assurances that I would hear from them very soon. My book was used as a reference for the movie, RUSH but little more came from it. The same was true of much of my efforts and I found myself disillusioned and ready to hang it up.

I moved to Mexico and have lived quite well for many years. But writing is addictive and it didn't take long to find myself at the keyboard again churning out new ideas and forming new characters. Now I am ready to enter the arena again, knowing that it will probably be like the Colosseum of Rome and the lions are waiting.

#25 Artbuff119

Artbuff119

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hello! Newbie to the site and the literary world. I wrote my first novel and have been sending out queries. An agent rejection response turned me on to this site. Would definitely love some feedback on my query letter. I've also realized that my story doesn't fit easily into any specific genre. After sending out close to fifty queries I'm finding that THIS is important.

#26 Malz

Malz

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Proud indie author =)

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

As a newbie my first mistake was sending out my first-ever query letter without taking the time to pass it around for a critique. Lets just say I've learned from that but it wouldn't have been possible without the wonderful members who gave me great feedback. The tons of information throughout this site is invaluable. biggrin.gif

Rules are meant to be broken.

#27 ProfWriter

ProfWriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Several Articles written and published particularly in the areas of business coaching books and materials. Owner of the "How to Destroy" and "What's MIssing is" brands. Looking for an Agent and first publisher for almost completed manuscript of "Being Gay in a Straight World" & supporting book 2 "Being Straight in a Gay World!"

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

Thanks Jean,

This deals with my first question.

There will be more no doubt...happy to make a fool of myself just wanna be doing it with the right questions?

Hug!

PW

#28 ProfWriter

ProfWriter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:Several Articles written and published particularly in the areas of business coaching books and materials. Owner of the "How to Destroy" and "What's MIssing is" brands. Looking for an Agent and first publisher for almost completed manuscript of "Being Gay in a Straight World" & supporting book 2 "Being Straight in a Gay World!"

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:28 AM

Attached File  book cover g.jpg   279.18KB   2 downloadsMy name is Anthony Chisolm, I am a newbie, so first I would like to say hello to everyone here. Also as part of the family I am offering my services to anyone that may need help with your book covers or any type of promotional art work free of any charge, as long as I am not busy and I have the time. I love doing it so don't be afraid to reach out.

Hi Anthony,

WOuld love to know more about your work as will be needing help in designing and creating an unusual and unique book cover for a combination of 2 books in one! Can discuss in more detail directly.

Very encouraging to read your post.

PW

#29 Donardo

Donardo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:I have no expeirince in publishing I am a new writer and I just finish my first book

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

I am also knew at this but here is a poem that will enlighten all of your thoughts.

Donald Murrill 08/03/2011

I will meet you at the gaits of heaven were you will know me by name, I must wait until my days on Earth were my sins are cleansed of stain. Until then you will be my brothers and sister dinner guest, and I ask for only this to keep my family company until I take my final breath.

I will not have to be fit for size, in God we are all his welcome surprise. We will finely meet the man who laid down his life, now we can be born again just like we were in a mothers eye the best thing is that Jesus Christ in three day’s time had open arms as he lifted to the sky.

The time we will spend while we make each other laugh, for now is just a moment until I take my final nap. Save me a chair for it want be long until we sit and eat, we shall sing, dance, and laugh the way we are meant to be, A strong unbreakable bond as a perfect family.

Attached Files

#30 Wordkraft

Wordkraft

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Published two books (textbooks) on contract a few years back. Most of my work has been for performance. Had a play run for a year in San Francisco back in the late 80s.
    Have written solo performance pieces, material for comics, and freelance Ad copy.
    I have one novel finished and two others in the pipeline.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I just joined yesterday and I'm sure it will take me quite a while to check into everything here.

I just retired from the infamous "day job" and am getting back to the writing after a gap of too many years. I always considered myself a writer trapped in the body of a guy working for a living.

My next task is getting agent representation. One day at a time.

Greetings to all!

#31 Ted

Ted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Never published.

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:02 AM

Hi
My name is Ted and I've just finished writing my first novel. I belong to the Palm Springs Writers Guild (California)and I'm ready to start my search for an agent.

Bella Ciao is the title of my novel. It comes from a song of the Italian parisans who fought the Germans in WWII after Italy surrendered.

The novel takes place in Sweden and Italy, two countries that have been a part of my own life experience (I am fluent in both languages).
There are two protagonists, an American novelist who's been chosen for the Nobel Prize, and a Swedish female homicide detective. Together, they take on the antagonist, the richest man in Italy who also happens to me the Prime Minister. The antagonist had the writer's journalist wife murdered when she uncovered his ties to the underworld.

Bella Ciao is a novel in the vein of Stieg Larsson's trilogy.

I hope that Agency Connect can help me find an agent for Bella Ciao.

#32 D. E. Jackson

D. E. Jackson

Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:THE CLANDESTINE is available on Amazon and through Goodreads. I've been making up stories since I was little and been writing seriously since 2007, mastering my craft. I'm currently working on book two THE DESIRED.
    My prequel ERASED will hopefully be published soon.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

Have a question, for Literary Status, I want to make sure I selected the right ones. What does emerging and just starting stand for?
519euspeCaL._AA160_.jpg

Goodreadshttps://www.goodread...768.D_E_Jackson

T​WITTER
https://twitter.com/DEJacksonWolf

YOUTUBE
https://www.youtube....emhvA_CyRqAJq7w

Favorite Artist - Adam Hall (my favorite thus far is the tornado)
http://www.adamhallart.com/#intro[color=rgb(0,0,255)]

There is no trick beyond sitting your arse in a chair everyday -Shawn Speakman, Unfettered.

#33 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:23 AM

Have a question, for Literary Status, I want to make sure I selected the right ones. What does emerging and just starting stand for?

Hi Lia,

They stand for whatever you want them to, really. "Emerging" might mean, for instance, that your work is beginning to be seen by people outside your friends and family, maybe that you've finished a novel and are beginning the process of query writing.

You can describe yourself any way you wish - we're not going to bite you for picking the wrong one.Posted Image
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#34 michael gaffney

michael gaffney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Worldwide magazine and newspaper publication and photo exhibitions of "The Champ-Muhammad Ali" on ESPN and in New Jersey, San Francisco and London.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:27 PM

OK, absolute newbie to this site and blogging as well. I've been searching around for information regarding finding an agent to begin a dialogue for my book, "The Champ-A Year in the Life of Muhammad Ali-1977-1978-Photographs by Michael Gaffney" I was Muhammad's personal photographer and this photojournalistic study offers a rare inside view of one of the most extraordinary people of our lifetime. The prototype is printed hardbound to 90 pages and also in a flipPage version for eBook review for interested agents. The final coffee table book will have 150 pages. I have been exhibiting "The Champ-Muhammad Ali" in New Jersey, San Francisco, ESPN and London and the response has encouraged me to find a publisher who recognizes the worldwide marketing potential of "The Champ" in a high end printed and eBook versions. The Query email is ready any advice on agent direction is appreciated. Thank you.

#35 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

It sounds like you have the credentials and possibly also the platform. How well did your exhibitions do? Do you have attendance numbers?

I recommend you post the query by starting a topic in the query area, or review how other queries look and make modifications if necessary and then post.

#36 Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland

Curiouser and Curiouser...

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Reader and intern for a literary journal and an independent publisher. Books reviews in The Carolina Quarterly

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hello all! I'm new to the site but I've been writing for a while. Now that I'm in college I've decided to start being a little more proactive about getting what I write out there. Recently, I've mainly be focused on sending off my short stories to literary magazines for publication. I'd love to take that step into sending out a novel I've written but the idea of a query letter still terrifies me a bit. Hopefully being part of this community will help me with help me conquer that fear!
Got a minute? Check out my new blog! http://writerdownthe...e.blogspot.com/

#37 Kmom

Kmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:None as of yet, but hoping that will change soon!

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Thank you so much for all the great information. Getting started is very overwhelming. I think I have a query letter ready so I guess I'll head over that way and see where I get with that. Looking forward to getting to know everyone and learning lots!
Kathy
ps I don't have a blog or a website, should I make one?

#38 Sam W

Sam W

Breaking laptop keyboards since 1999.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Not sure how I missed how this site even existed for so long (been going to AQ for a few months at least). Looks like this site covers pretty much every topic regarding the querying process that I find nebulous/terrifying. Plenty of reading to do...

#39 Annie Aronson

Annie Aronson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Alcoholism Magazine, The Oregonian and Columbian newspapers, Oatmeal Greeting Card Company (humorous verse)

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

I am feeling like such an idiot. I a brand new member and just wanted to "hi." I suspect, however, that this is the wrong dialog box. Any helpful advice about getting started, now that I'm a member, would be appreciated. Thanks!

#40 Annie Aronson

Annie Aronson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Alcoholism Magazine, The Oregonian and Columbian newspapers, Oatmeal Greeting Card Company (humorous verse)

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think I've done this right. evidently, I'm not really an idiot. I'm feeling one because I've spent the last week writing a query letter. I swear, the book was easier than the query. It might turn out that it was less time-consuming, too. No one in my world has ever written a book and so they can't begin to understand why a single page could possibly be so stressful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users