225 replies to this topic

#41 Gerry Souter

Gerry Souter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As of February, 2012, I will have had 50 books published by main stream houses since 1997. My wife, Janet has co-authored some of these with me. I am an elected member of American Society of Journalists and Authors, Society of Midland Authors (vice president), Midwest Writers Association and the American Dramatists Guild

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

I have been around the horn with writer groups and most have been populated by shiny new writers as eager as puppies who want success, but have no idea of the odds against those who do not want to polish the chair and learn how to write. I've done book doctoring, held clinics, judged manuscripts and judged published books in award competitions. The pure jewels, the polished nuggets of prose are rare. I'm joining this group with hopes of choosing a new agent to replaced my previous representation who has retired. If I can help anyone or answer questions while I'm here, that's fine. It's good to give back. For more information on me or any of my 50 books, check my Web site: www.avril1.com, Amazon.com, Google or any other authors' directory. In the meantime, it's nice to be here and let's see what happens. Gerry Souter

#42 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Welcome, Gerry!

Take a look around. There are plenty of queries in the query critique group than need an experienced eye.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#43 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (Dec 1 2015/Thomas Dunne) traveled forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In between I became a "hybrid" as part of a group of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which released in November of 2014. The book, "A Day of Fire," tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

Welcome to AQConnect! Pete is right, the query-critique-threads round here are plentiful and seasoned opinions are very welcome.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#44 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Welcome to the experienced writers and the eager puppies and guppies. All are welcome, all are welcome.

#45 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Welcome, Gerry!

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#46 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,046 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Six published novels across Harper Collins and Penguin Random House. See my signature for titles.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi Gerry! welcome to AQ!

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  25812109.jpg 25314447.jpg 30249925.jpg

@MindyMcGinnis

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Blog

Writer, Writer, Pants on Fire Podcast

#47 kjones

kjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:20 scientific articles and book chapters.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

I could use some help to one specific question: I would like to query a memoir I have written. Some agents put memoirs under "fiction" (asking for sample chapters) and most don't specify. Should I consider a memoir "non-fiction" (usually requiring a proposal) or "fiction" for purposes of a query letter (thus allowing me to send sample chapters) if the agent does not specify? I can't find the answer to this anywhere. Thank you!

#48 jmarshburn

jmarshburn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am new to AQConnect, and very excited about getting started.

Still finishing up my first novel, which has been several years in the making. However, I do feel close enough to start thinking about next steps. Just reading this thread, I get the feeling this is a useful and considerate community to be a part of. I look forward to connecting with fellow writers.

Jenn

Jenn
http://writingsonwri....wordpress.com/

Becoming a writer is not a 'career decision' like becoming a doctor or a policeman. You don’t choose it so much as get chosen, and once you accept the fact that you’re not fit for anything else, you have to be prepared to walk a long, hard road for the rest of your days.' - Paul Auster

#49 Progressive

Progressive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Lulu
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/RestoringAmericanGreatness

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hello:

I am looking for an agent to help me promote my recently published book, Progressively Restoring American Greatness. I published it at
Lulu.com, so I am just on my own trying to get the word out. You can visit this site where I have put up some sample chapters->
http://www.theprogre...restoration.com to get a feel for what it is about.

Thank you for your time,

Anthony Watson

#50 Kristina

Kristina

Vampire in the last life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationEurope
  • Publishing Experience:None so far... But if you're psychic, you already know whose book you'll be buying in a few years. :)

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

Hello and welcome to AQC, Progressive! :biggrin:
Unfortunately, I have to come up with bad news, regarding your "I am looking for an agent to help me promote my recently published book, Progressively Restoring American Greatness." statement. You may wish to read this thread http://agentquerycon...ent-weighs-in/. Pay attention to articles from posts #1 and #18.
“I am not afraid that the book will be controversial, I’m afraid it will not be controversial.” - Flannery O’Connor

“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.” - Richard Bach

“Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” - Anton Chekhov

Follow me on Twitter

#51 Daceria

Daceria

Alicia Hamilton-Keister

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have had 5 short stories and 2 poems published in the Williamsport Sun-Gazette in their Writer's nook.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hello, my name is Alicia Hamilton-Keister and I dream of being a published writer and am working on getting published as we speak. The only thing I have published are short stories in the Williamsport Sun Gazette in the writer's nook. The most famous of these short stories is the one I am now trying to publish as it has been kind of a Wow really? Kind of thing. I attend a writer's group called Page Grinders in Lewisburg Pa and none of us but me if offically published. They all have been published in magazines and they are a joy to be around. Well to the point The Wolf Within was one of the short stories I published in The Williamsport Sun Gazette and for the first time last year I part took in NANO. I have never been so challenged before and there were times I thought about quitting but I pulled through and finished my novel for NANO. I submitted the first chapter to writer's group to give them a break from A Wolf's Journey (A series 7 years and going in the making). When I went to writer's group and heard what they said about The Wolf Within, I knew where I was headed, the path I had always dreamed of, getting published. This is my introduction and I hope to make friiends here and learn things but most importantly we are all writers and we all know the being published is often the hardest part of being a writer but me, I'm never going to give up my dream because I truly believe that I will be famous. I just don't know when.
"Nothing is impossible with God" Luke 1:37

"If you believe something, make it so." Quote.

My quote,
"I am the next FutureFamousWriter and one day all those people who laughed and teased me will clap for my novels."

#52 JessM

JessM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi all. I'm brand new to this website - just found it this morning when I was searching for tips on query letters. I'm so happy to find a place like this, both because I need all the advice I can get and because it's nice to find a group of people who are willing to support and help each other out. Like many of you, I'm sure, I don't get to spend as much time writing/reading and learning about writing as I would like, given that I have two kids (8 and 5 - awesome but frequently exhausting!) and a husband in grad school to support. The past few years have been pretty tough, but the one good thing that's come out of this rough period is my first completed novel. I started work on it a year and a half ago and at first it was just a total escape - all sex and not much else. But it slowly changed, based on what I was going through, and one day I woke up and realized I had written a romance novel (still with lots of sex). So I now have a rough draft finished, which I'm revising (while trying to get up the courage to have other people read and critique it). In the meantime, I also need to start focusing on the next step, which is how I ended up here!

So right now I'm going to take a look around before I have to deal with household chores, but I'll be back again later. And thanks again for this site - I'm looking forward to being an active part of the group!
Jess

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. ~Isaac Asimov

#53 Gift_0_Gab

Gift_0_Gab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Not published yet..unless you count my high school and college newspapers.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'm a newbie...very nice to see so many people offering warm welcomes and words of wisdom. I'm excited to share thoughts and successes with all of you.

-- Sherae

#54 Miss Brittany

Miss Brittany

Dream Inventor

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hello,
I'm new and I really relate to Phoebe. Those darn query letters I cant seem to master. Trying to master it now that my, current, stories are finnished. I feel very welcomed! But I notice that people have very few "friends" on thier sites or pages(whichever) and so I guess I'm asking is this less like facebook and more like a e-high school lunchroom where you sorta hang or "friend" people you have most in common with?

thanks,
miss Brittany
miss Brittany

#55 tlbrtstv

tlbrtstv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Fresh as new-fallen snow to this site. I have a project that is two years in the making and now that I am drafting a query letter I am finding myself hesitant to put it out there. I have written for as long as I can remember but they have always been personal bodies of work that I felt confident nobody else would be bothered to notice. Something compelled me to investigate the world of publishing and now my feet are as cold as if they were bare and planted firmly in that metaphoric snow that describes my newness to this site.
But I digress. Thank you for posting a thread of helpful hints on how to confidently navigate this site.

Steven

#56 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Miss B., the "friends" function is a bit of a strange thing really. It means nothing. I guess in some ways you could see which circles people travel in... but really, it's just a gimmick here. I don't think anyone pays any attention to it.

Steven, welcome and enjoy!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#57 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, the only thing the "friends" function here really does for me is dictate whose status updates show up in my email notifications, that's all.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#58 jeanineg

jeanineg

Jeanine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi,

My name is Jeanine. I am new to the site, and writing novels. I am writing my first novel (Starvation of the Soul). I was told that I need to find a partner or 2 to critique my work as I write. I would love and appreciate feedback from people who not family members or friends. I don't know how to find such people, however. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am writing historical fiction. Thanks so much. Look forward to being part of the site! Best to all...

#59 briget

briget

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I've published 2 novels through Publish America, and one through Lulu.com

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hi! I'm Briget! I have 3 published books, but I want to be REALLY published! I want my screenplay to be on the silver screen! I want my books read by teens everywhere - and others who don't like to read, but want a good fast-paced story.

Check out my website at www.booksbybriget.com

#60 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

I could use some help to one specific question: I would like to query a memoir I have written. Some agents put memoirs under "fiction" (asking for sample chapters) and most don't specify. Should I consider a memoir "non-fiction" (usually requiring a proposal) or "fiction" for purposes of a query letter (thus allowing me to send sample chapters) if the agent does not specify? I can't find the answer to this anywhere. Thank you!

Sorry, I just noticed this. Memoir is nonfiction, but it's queried much like fiction. Unlike most nonfiction (how-to books, for example), the manuscript needs to be finished, but you'll also need to know what else has been done that might be similar to your work. Having sample chapters ready, then, should not be a problem. The manuscript has been written. Of course, it also should be obvious that the manuscript needs to be polished and ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users