#1 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels, and the fourth coming soon through Mythic Dragon Publishing

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi all,

I ran across this on Facebook, and thought I would share.

I don't know a lot about them, other than they're a new company. I like what I have read on their website and Blog... For anyone else who wants to get in on the contest, here at the links to their website, blog, and facebook.

Blog: http://mythicdragonp...g.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook...100003977380979

See you there.

Juls

#2 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, YA Fantasy, Month9Books, released Sept. 2014. FACSIMILE & sequel, YA SciFi, coming from Month9Books in 2016.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

100,000 word max word count. <sigh> Have to get rid of that last 1,300 words somehow. (I've already slashed thousands, trust me).

Also, I didn't see anything about exclusives on their contest or submissions page. If you send to them -- regular submission or the contest -- is your manuscript tied up until they say "yes" or "no"? Something to check out.

#3 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Three novels, and the fourth coming soon through Mythic Dragon Publishing

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

No, your manuscript is yours until you sign a contract. I emailed them and asked...

#4 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

1,300 word is easy to get rid of, run a check and see many times you used the words 'and', and 'that'

#5 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, YA Fantasy, Month9Books, released Sept. 2014. FACSIMILE & sequel, YA SciFi, coming from Month9Books in 2016.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thanks, Juls!

#6 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Your welcome... Let me know if you need further help.

#7 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

I actually did it -- cut a 110,000 word manuscript to 99,973 words! (And without destroying the novel). My critique partner helped -- and I also just went through the whole thing, word by word, until I got it shaped up.

#8 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I hesitate making this comment, but I think the topic is important. The "co-op of authors" who are associated with Mythic Dragon Publishing are doing themselves a disservice by their presentation. Using free Google hosting and a free blogger blog does not suggest great professionalism. Nor does the lack of even a domain name. MythicDragonPublishing.com, as well as the .net, .org and net versions are available and cost around $10-12 each to register. For what it is worth.

#9 Josh L

Josh L

My recommendation is essentially a guarantee.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:ETCHED IN SOUL AND SKIN - May 2013

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

I hesitate making this comment, but I think the topic is important. The "co-op of authors" who are associated with Mythic Dragon Publishing are doing themselves a disservice by their presentation. Using free Google hosting and a free blogger blog does not suggest great professionalism. Nor does the lack of even a domain name. MythicDragonPublishing.com, as well as the .net, .org and net versions are available and cost around $10-12 each to register. For what it is worth.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't mean to disparage the people behind it, but their website just screams unprofessional with google hosting and cheesy animated gifs pasted on the front page. Granted, even George Martin's website looks like it was made with mid 90's Geocities hosting, but knowing nothing else about these people, their website is a big turn off.

bzdSmSO.jpg  The Sky Demons are coming...

You will not find insight here.

#10 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

I personally don't see what you would gain by going with them (or most of these super tiny pubs) vs. self publishing. I doubt they give advances, and I'm sure most of the marketing would still fall on the author. Plus you'd end up signing over your rights to the manuscript, you wouldn't have pricing control (which to me is a huge plus when trying to market), and you'd have no say over your cover (and there are some horrid covers out there done by indie's). I, personally, would be hesitant.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Some excellent points, Cali and Rick.

#12 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Well gee... Looks like I stirred up a hornets net… But you know something!!!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what advice I have seen you all give to people, since I became a member, is cruel, hurtful, and vindictive. You can kick me off here if you like, for I want no part of the crap that goes on here. All I was trying to do was give hope to someone else. That is what this site is supposed to be, a place where people can get help, not where you all have a field day tearing someone down!!!!!!!!!!

#13 C. Taylor

C. Taylor

Subsisting on Pots of Tea

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I'm a NY Times and USA Today bestselling author writing under the pen name, Cali MacKay and write fun and steamy contemporary romances, in addition to erotica, paranormal romances and mysteries. I also write steampunk romances under the pen name Calista Taylor.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Juls, I don't see anything posted that's hurtful and cruel. But we are entitled to our opinions based on our experiences, and most find it useful to share those opinions with others. I know I get a lot out of it when others share their experiences. It's up to each person to take what they find useful and ignore the rest. If you think this is a publisher that would suit your needs, then by all means submit. I wish you the best of luck.

Cali MacKay

FREE

51HdjDwZKxL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51Ekbyv33TL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51HnUjguTHL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-511uTCIPFnL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51-y12BGRPL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-51LB9MAkXgL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-612uyFf1xML._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-61y0ZMZ-%2BaL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arro51J-PsyEZoL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-

#14 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Well gee... Looks like I stirred up a hornets net… But you know something!!!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what advice I have seen you all give to people, since I became a member, is cruel, hurtful, and vindictive. You can kick me off here if you like, for I want no part of the crap that goes on here. All I was trying to do was give hope to someone else. That is what this site is supposed to be, a place where people can get help, not where you all have a field day tearing someone down!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooer.... Juls, what are you referring to? Cruel, hurtful and vindictive? If I had to guess, I might think you a member of this co-op.
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#15 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,577 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

This is a very savvy community who always appreciate a new and exciting opportunity presented to them.

That said, there are thousands and thousands of publishing opportunities, and the presentation of a website, blog, or simply the name of the venture are all ways that writers initially judge whether or not the opportunity is right for them. Terms of a publishing deal are usually next on the evaluation list.

We encourage all our members to review, research, and evaluate all opportunities and judge for themselves whether it will assist in their specific publishing goals and agenda.

We do believe that publishing co-ops will continue to become more or more popular as writers band together to e-publishing their work in a collective effort. However, obviously, the terms and details of each publishing "co-op" will obviously vary and their success will largely depend on the central unifying force behind them.

#16 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, what advice I have seen you all give to people, since I became a member, is cruel, hurtful, and vindictive. You can kick me off here if you like, for I want no part of the crap that goes on here. All I was trying to do was give hope to someone else. That is what this site is supposed to be, a place where people can get help, not where you all have a field day tearing someone down!!!!!!!!!!

I am still looking for the cruel, hurtful and vindictive part.

You mentioned giving "hope to someone else." The problem is that, too often, the unscrupulous prey on the hopes of writers. I am not suggesting that Mythic Dragon Publishing is necessarily interested in taking advantage of writers, but there are many out there who are, and any and all new publishing ventures should be scrutinized carefully.

My concern with Mythic Dragon is a lack of track record and a poor presentation. For better or worse, it takes a lot more than hope to sell books.

#17 Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

Juls Duncan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thank You all for the comments, This has gotten way out of hand... This flyer came across my facebook and I thought to share it... My mistake... Won't happen again...

I asked now that the post be removed....

#18 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES to be published by Albury Books November 1, 2013.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

Juls' books are the only ones listed on the site. Her outrage at the honest and well meaning concerns was a result of feeling the sting on a very personal level.

#19 Pete Morin

Pete Morin

Nut Cracker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Some shorts published in obscure anthologies.
    Diary of a Small Fish, a first little piggy heading to market.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I can understand that, Lanette.

My concern now is that Ms. Duncan is not being forthright about her connection to the site. If (only) her books are published by Mythic Dragon, then her initial statement that "I don't know a lot about them, other than they're a new company. I like what I have read on their website and Blog..." would seem to be, er...

hard to accept? :blush:
Pete

Posted Image

Read Diary of a Small Fish
Read Uneasy Living

Blog - Pete Morin
Join me on Facebook

#20 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

I can understand that, Lanette.

My concern now is that Ms. Duncan is not being forthright about her connection to the site. If (only) her books are published by Mythic Dragon, then her initial statement that "I don't know a lot about them, other than they're a new company. I like what I have read on their website and Blog..." would seem to be, er...

hard to accept? :blush:

Yup.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users