AmandaBurckhard

Amanda Burckhard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

What do you do if you don't have anything to put in the bio section that is writing related? Do you leave it out?

#2 Mystics Apprentice

Mystics Apprentice

Reveling in madness (aka writing)

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:33 AM

:unsure: ...I wish I knew!

I also am trying to discern what to add when one doesn't have any writing credentials to speak of. Most agents ask for some sort of biography, yet they don't like it when you waste their time with senseless gibberish (which, I can't honestly blame them).

So yes, this is a very good question. Here's hoping that someone else can provide a good answer!

#3 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yes, you leave it out. Never include anything in your query that is without purpose.
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#4 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,155 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in SPRING FEVERS, THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE (June 2013). 2014 MG novel ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM.

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in THE FALL and SUMMER'S EDGE. Fall 2013 YA novel WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Lit has the down-low on this. It's okay not to have writing credentials. Hold your head up and submit the best query letter you can and polish your manuscript so it is the best dang writing you have to offer. Awesome novels are far better sells than a credential or two.

Unless you're writing nonfic.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#5 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC, and publisher of Spring Fevers, an anthology of short stories, 2012, which includes sixteen stories by ten AQC writers, and The Fall, a collection of tales from the apocalypse. Ironically, The Fall was delayed by the apocalyptic Hurricane Sandy. Published Summer's Edge and Summer's Double Edge in July 2013 and Winter's Regret in January 2014. Our first novel, Whispering Minds by A.T. O'Connor, was published in November 2013, and our second, Battery Brothers, in time for baseball's opening day, 2014. We're getting Billy Bobble Makes a Magic Wand by RS Mellette ready for publication on Dec. 1, 2014.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

Yes, leave it out. If you're writing nonfiction (with the exception of memoir) and you don't have credentials, then delay your book-publishing dreams and develop your credentials. Because one of the first questions an agent will ask is "Why are you the right person to write this book?"

#6 carmela

carmela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:no publishing experience

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yay! You don't know how glad I am to read this. I also have nothing for a bio, and wondered what to do..Thanks everyone, Woo Hoo!!!!

#7 cynkaba

cynkaba

Cynkaba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Vanity published my first romance novel "Fire In The Mix" in 2010. Finished my second romance novel which is the first of a three-part series.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Just remember that if your job is the same or relates to the one of your main characters, include that. For example, I am Administrative Assistant and so is one of my main characters. But if that is the not the case and you have no writing credentials, I agree with everyone to leave out your bio.

Cindy Batten ~ "Getting to the point with style and romance" ~

Fire In The Mix on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1453732381

Author website:  www.cynthiabattenauthor.com

Blog:  http://cynkaba.blogspot.com/

#8 carmela

carmela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:no publishing experience

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Just remember that if your job is the same or relates to the one of your main characters, include that. For example, I am Administrative Assistant and so is one of my main characters. But if that is the not the case and you have no writing credentials, I agree with everyone to leave out your bio.

Cynkaba, I don't have a job, but over 10 years ago I did make banners and dance on a team, like my character. Would that count?

#9 cynkaba

cynkaba

Cynkaba

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Vanity published my first romance novel "Fire In The Mix" in 2010. Finished my second romance novel which is the first of a three-part series.

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

No, only share if you have writing experience and/or if you have a job that pertains to one of your main characters. Otherwise, leave out the bio section.

Cindy Batten ~ "Getting to the point with style and romance" ~

Fire In The Mix on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/1453732381

Author website:  www.cynthiabattenauthor.com

Blog:  http://cynkaba.blogspot.com/

#10 chris79

chris79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I am a teacher and of course have an education degree. Would I include that? My main character is a high school student, not a teacher :)

#11 Litgal

Litgal

Veteran Queen Bee -- Moderator "Here Be Historicals"

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel, "The Sister Queens," (March 2012/NAL), was set in 13th century France and England and wove the captivating story of sisters, Marguerite and Eleanor of Provence, who both became queens. My next solo novel, "Medicis Daughter," (late 2015/Thomas Dunne) travels forward three-hundred years to the intrigue-riven French Valois court, spinning the tale of beautiful princess Marguerite who walks the knife edge between the demands of her serpentine mother, Catherine de Medicis, and those of her own conscience.

In the meantime I am one of six authors involved in a high concept novel-in-six-parts called "A Day of Fire" which releases November 4, 2014 and tells the story of the final days of the doomed city of Pompeii in a way you've never read it before.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I am a teacher and of course have an education degree. Would I include that? My main character is a high school student, not a teacher :)

Up to you, but my gut reaction is nope. Truth is in fiction (as opposed to non-fiction) the work has to stand on it's own and most credentials seem irrelevant. A thriller about a nuclear physicist written by one -- I would mention that. An MFA from The Iowa Writers' Workshop -- definitely mention that. Publishing credits--depends on where and how recent. My mantra: "when in doubt, leave it out."
Lit. (aka Sophie Perinot)

#12 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

OCD for the Good of Mankind

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

Up to you, but my gut reaction is nope. Truth is in fiction (as opposed to non-fiction) the work has to stand on it's own and most credentials seem irrelevant. A thriller about a nuclear physicist written by one -- I would mention that. An MFA from The Iowa Writers' Workshop -- definitely mention that. Publishing credits--depends on where and how recent. My mantra: "when in doubt, leave it out."

Agree with Lit, but with a caveat. Some kid-lit agents WANT to know if you're a teacher or school librarian. So as always, do your homework. I ended up always putting in a VERY brief, unobtrusive line mentioning my years of teaching math to teens. Never specified my degrees or where I got them, though.
Snow-Small.jpg 
Stitching Snow
October 2014
Hyperion

#13 ErikaB

ErikaB

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Agree with all of the above. According to the 2012 Guide to Literary Agents if you write non fiction you need to have certain expertise of why you are the best person to write this book. For fiction you don't need any and if you don't have writing history then leave it out. Don't tell them this is your first novel or anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users