23 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

We were talking in the platform thread and I mentioned I was going to try a Facebook ad this weekend.

First off--why?

Facebook because my audience is there. I'm looking at moms with kids. Do you know a young mom not on FB? Exactly.

An ad because they gave me a free coupon. ($50)

And what am I advertising? My FB page. (Shameless self-promotion alert ---> Feel free to like it if you are into that sort of thing. :biggrin: ) I'm hoping to drum up a few likes, but mostly it is an experiment. I have been growing my platform "organically" but I'm also willing to try an ad--especially if free!

Why the weekend? That's when I believe it will get the most impressions--i.e. the most people will see it.

The ad which will run this weekend:
Attached File  Screen shot 2012-06-20 at 2.33.20 PM.png   24.09KB   21 downloads

(BTW if you have any suggestions, it isn't running until the weekend. I can still tweak it.)

I'll let you know how it goes. And if you have any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to answer them.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

It looks small, but otherwise, I don't have a problem with it. I'm very interested to hear how it goes.

#3 patskywriter

patskywriter

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com from Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

I wish the little girl's hand weren't missing—can you do something about it?

I'd tweak the words just a bit. If it were my ad, here's what I'd say:

It's All Kids' Play (plural 'kids')

We have fun freetime ideas for families that like to play. (alliteration; also 'that' instead of 'who')
Published community newspapers in Chicago for 8 years; now publishing www.durhamskywriter.com.

Currently working on my first nonfiction book, "And Then We Saw an Eye: Caring for a Loved-One with Alzheimer's at Home."

#4 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

Matt, the one above is a thumbnail. It is pretty small as it is the sidebar ad. They do all the formatting so I can't adjust a lot of what you see.

Patsky, the image I have has her hand cut off. It's a stock photo off my website. I was looking for something that would appeal to young moms and would say "play." Images are pretty huge for ads, so if it doesn't work, I could try another. Actually, I could try two ads and see which works best--might be smart.

It's All Kid's Play is the name of my page and is inputted automatically so I can't tweak that. I did a lot of debating on the kid's vs kids' as they say two different things.

I choose to ask the "like" question first as apparently that garners "likes" which is what I am aiming for. At the bottom of the ad it says I already like it, but for nonlikers it would say "like" this page or something like that. "Free play" is a type of play that I am promoting. And gee... maybe it's not such a hot ad if I have to explain it. Eeep!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#5 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Jean, it's beautiful. My only concern is the echo with "play". If you could tweak your wording to say the same thing without using play three times (four if you count your blog name) in such a small space.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#6 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

It's not clear to me that it's a book. Did Facebook say how many people would see the ad and if they will only be your friends. I'm also interested in seeing how well it does. Please do let us know. Good luck.
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#7 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Jean,

I'd be interested in your feedback on this Facebook ad experiment. A $50 coupon is a great way to test the waters.

The only information I've seen for paid advertising came from this book, which no longer seems to be available.
http://www.goodreads...llars-and-sense

The authors delve into Goodreads, Facebook and Google Adwords paid advertising. Adwords was the only platform that showed promise and Carolyn McCray goes into the mechanics of how to make that work. From what I understand, not every book would benefit but yours might. For what its worth, Carolyn found Facebook a complete flop. Goodreads came out as so-so.

At the time of reading, I verified the author was still using the keyword example on Google. Now she is not. That could be because the strategy ultimately failed or she found more productive keywords.

#8 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published more than a dozen books, including several short story anthologies and debut novels by several AQC authors including "ScubaSteve" Carman and R.S. Mellette. Midway through 2018, we've already published our first nonfiction title, "Which the Days Never Know," and are putting together an omnibus collection of the Seasons Series of anthologies, with launch expected by the Christmas season. And in 2019, there will be much more, with news to come soon!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Joe, it's not a book. It's her blog. She's working on building her platform and brand. That really needs to come before the book. Otherwise the book gets all dusty and dirty from being on the ground where others step on it and stuff.

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

Jean, it's beautiful. My only concern is the echo with "play". If you could tweak your wording to say the same thing without using play three times (four if you count your blog name) in such a small space.

Good point, Cat. I was trying to work "like" in there a second time. If I recall correctly, you can't ask for a direct call to action (i.e. say "Like my page!") so I was trying to ask a question that would induce people to click "like" at the bottom of the ad. I'll think about how I could tweak that. Thanks.

It's not clear to me that it's a book. Did Facebook say how many people would see the ad and if they will only be your friends. I'm also interested in seeing how well it does. Please do let us know. Good luck.

Yep, as Matt said, it is simply creating awareness that I have a Facebook page. So people "like" the ad (which I believe becomes a page "like" which then puts my FB updates into their stream of updates) or they click on the ad and go to my Facebook page (and from there they can "like" the page or go to my website and blog. Or see that they can follow me on Twitter or Pinterest. Basically, it is saying: I'm here. It's an interesting way to try to build an audience.

If it were a book, I would have the ad link to the book's Amazon page (or other vendor that sends their stats to the NYT and their bestseller list) and say something like: "Looking for more play ideas? [Book title]" Or something like that.

Jean,

I'd be interested in your feedback on this Facebook ad experiment. A $50 coupon is a great way to test the waters.

The only information I've seen for paid advertising came from this book, which no longer seems to be available.
http://www.goodreads...llars-and-sense

The authors delve into Goodreads, Facebook and Google Adwords paid advertising. Adwords was the only platform that showed promise and Carolyn McCray goes into the mechanics of how to make that work. From what I understand, not every book would benefit but yours might. For what its worth, Carolyn found Facebook a complete flop. Goodreads came out as so-so.

At the time of reading, I verified the author was still using the keyword example on Google. Now she is not. That could be because the strategy ultimately failed or she found more productive keywords.

Cool. I have a Google Adwords coupon around here as well. It may have expired though. I was considering using it as well as an experiment. If I do I will keep keywords in mind. Thanks!

Joe, it's not a book. It's her blog. She's working on building her platform and brand. That really needs to come before the book. Otherwise the book gets all dusty and dirty from being on the ground where others step on it and stuff.

Yeah, I don't want a dirty dusty book! Not unless it is because they travel everywhere with it because it is so rockin'. :wink:

I'm tempted to do as is recommended and try two ads to compare against each other. Problem is that it would only end up with $25 for each "campaign" possibly making it too difficult to see which worked best.

#10 JoeB

JoeB

Ascended Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:self published Journeys of Intent, Firewalkers, The Ultimate Gift: Loving Blood, and Christine's Cross now online at Smashwords.com and Amazon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

I didn't think about a blog. Makes more sense now and looks pretty good. Hope it does well.
Thanks for the help. It is very much appreciated!!!
http://joebiancardi.weebly.com
http://journeysofintent.weebly.com

#11 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:57 AM

Cool. I have a Google Adwords coupon around here as well. It may have expired though. I was considering using it as well as an experiment. If I do I will keep keywords in mind. Thanks!

I did some more research and the author is still using Adwords to promote her book. This is really interesting as Adwords can be a huge money sink if not used correctly. The fact that she's been running that campaign for a prolonged period lends creditably to her claims in the book. She recommends starting off by capping your Adwords spend at $5 per day and working on getting as close to neutral (break even) as possible. In her example, the CPC was something like $1. Therefore, if you're selling a $2.99 book, and netting a couple of dollars royalty, you need a ratio of 2;1 to reach neutral. She started off at 13:1 (a big loss) and continued to refine her sales page and keywords.bringing the numbers down until reaching close to her goal. Then she increased to $10 per day. I should point out that her book was only averaging one sale per day at the start of her study.

It goes without saying that these sales on Amazon all go to increase the book's ranking and placement in the recommendation engine, so break even on Adwords would be a major benefit. Not all titles will be able to achieve this but certain ones might. If you're going to risk money on Adwords, you've got to hone your Amazon sales page.

#12 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks, Joe. We'll see what happens with it. (You know, of course since deciding to run an ad I've about doubled my likes compared to about the past four months. :wink: I guess there's something to be said about "getting serious" about something.)

Paul, awesome advice. Thanks. I do believe that Amazon also sends their info in to The New York Times for their bestseller lists. And that's great that she has been able to break even with her ads. You can't get word of mouth going if nobody has your books! (I've heard if you can get word of mouth going it's gold.)

#13 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

It looks like it is getting a "like" an hour (3) at the moment. (Trying to make sure I have some good content on the page today!) I'll share stats and thoughts as more info comes in.

#14 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:43 AM

This is interesting and slightly unexpected.

The ad has had 1900 impressions thus far. That means the ad has been shown 1900 times. And about 800 people have seen the ad.

But there have been no clicks on the ad. However, I managed to gain 11 likes over the weekend. (P.S. Having another Page (not individual) on Facebook "like" your page does not count towards your likes. Just in case you have a page and wondered about FB's like counting.)

However, the ad manager thinks that 7 people have taken an action in relation to my page since seeing the ad. Not sure what that means.

But I have 11 new likes since the ad began and still have $50 in ad credit. Can't lose with that!

So what am I learning (other than me not making a very clickable ad) is that the more great content you put on your FB page, the greater the likes. Which makes sense. People want good content.

I'm going to let the ad continue to ride and see what happens. But that's the update from the FB ad front. Hope you all had a "likeable" weekend. :wink:

#15 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

For what it's worth, Jean, I don't think I've ever purposely clicked on a link on facebook. I doubt I'm in the minority.

#16 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I never click on ads either. :smile:

#17 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Forgot to circle back!

The coupon ran out so I ended the ad before I used up the $50.

Here are two screenshots of the ad's report:Attached File  Screen shot 2012-07-15 at 7.18.08 PM.png   17.48KB   6 downloadsAttached File  Screen shot 2012-07-15 at 7.17.50 PM.png   35.71KB   5 downloads

The first one is the graph. The first jump was over a weekend, the second jump was mid-week and when school had let out more. I aimed my ad specifically at moms. The green shows when people saw my ads (I bid a tad lower than recommended--the amount I wanted to pay per click and therefore the ones who bid higher get shown first). Blue means clicks. Interestingly, I noticed an increase in likes during the jumps in the graphs, even when people weren't clicking on the ad. At the end of the ad campaign where the second big jump was, I did notice a jump in likes. When I cancelled the ad, the likes slowed down. So, yes. It worked. And for free--what could be better?

How many likes did I get during the campaign? I'd have to look it up, but I think about 20ish--not all came as a result of the ad. 15 were people who saw the ad at some point, but only 6 folks actually clicked on the ad (which costs you). I'm talking about stuff in the chart now. So it was shown almost 7000 times, but to a very, very small group of people. However, those who saw it seem to have taken action.

A few definitions:

Impressions: times the ad was shown over and over
Social impressisons: times it was shown with things like "Your friend Joe likes this."
Clicks: number of people who clicked on the ad (6)
Actions: Number of "likes" taken by folks who saw the ad. (15)

Next time I would give myself more time and run several ads against each other.

Overall, not too bad, if you ask me. It was an experiment worth repeating. Sooooo anyone going to try a Goodreads ad? Feeling curious! (If you've run a FB ad, share your insights!)

#18 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi Jean,

I'm going to try Adwords soon. Will let you know the results,

BTW, where'd you get the Adwords coupon from?

#19 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,302 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I got the coupon for playing around with their ads but not actually "buying" one a few months ago. You can filter through their "create an ad" area to find out what the audience might be for something like "mothers" and "between ages 24-40" in "Canada." I was using to to see how big my potential audience might be on Facebook about 3-4 months ago and because I didn't buy an ad they later sent me a coupon saying "We noticed you tried to make an ad..." You could try Googling "Facebook coupon code" as well. Ya never know!

#20 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:39 AM

Look what I found.

https://services.goo.../adwordscoupon/

Thx Jean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users