Disclaimer

Photo
- - - - -

Alice Speilburg - Howard Morhaim Literary AgencyLiterary Assistant at Established Agency Looking for New Submissions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AQCrew

AQCrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,074 posts
  • Literary Status:industry insider
  • LocationPacific Islands

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Ms. Speilburg sent us her agent information to be included in our AQ agent database.

She's a literary assistant with the venerable Howard Morhaim Literary Agency and she's accepting queries and looking for new submissions.

You can view her agent profile, the genres that she represents, and her submissions guidelines here:

http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=1194

Querying new, junior level agents at established literary agents can be one of the best strategies for aspiring writers to gain literary representation.

#2 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thanks Crew. Given the several newbies like me here, this may get Ms. Speilburg (Interesting name!) buried in submissions.

#3 KrystenH

KrystenH

Lady of the Dragons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

WHOOT. FANTASY.

How many sample chapters does she want? Specifically? I can't find her on the agency website, and it doesn't say on AQ either.
Shadow's Dawn (EF) -- Querying/ Editing

Morning Darkness (EF) -- WIP

Evening Light and untitled fourth book (EF) -- Outlining/Planning

#4 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

The other agent accepting queries at this time says 3 chapters (the first 3) so I suspect that would work for her as well? On the agency website she's listed as an assistant, so I think she's just recently been promoted to agent (?)

#5 Jearl Rugh

Jearl Rugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Leaves and Flowers Literary Journal

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

Query's in the "e"mail.

#6 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

Sweet. Women's fic. Yay. Submitting now! :happy:

editied: done!
"When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?"
-Henry Rollins

Realizing the plight of a writer: a) it's a lonely endeavor b) it wreaks of redundancy c) it is both satisfying and heartbreaking d) it's an exercise in futility. But when someone laughs or my words evoke a strong reaction on a page, it is all worthwhile.

Visit my blog
The T Files: Ramblings of a Writer http://seattletfiles.blogspot.com/

#7 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Instead of logging my query sent, I waited until I received my form reject. Saves the extra time of creating two posts. :sad:

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#8 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE, a YA Fantasy retelling of "The Snow Queen" will be published by Month9Books in Dec. 2014.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

S Jenan, how long was it between your submittal and a form reject? (Still waiting for mine).

#9 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Oh S. Jenan, sorry 'bout that. (((S Jenan)))
Chin up...you can do it. Some think it's a numbers game, and I'm sure I'll come her to lament in August when I begin sending out queries.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#10 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

I haven't received anything yet either...maybe that's good?
-Henry Rollins

Realizing the plight of a writer: a) it's a lonely endeavor b) it wreaks of redundancy c) it is both satisfying and heartbreaking d) it's an exercise in futility. But when someone laughs or my words evoke a strong reaction on a page, it is all worthwhile.

Visit my blog

#11 Dan Genovese

Dan Genovese

Narf!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Noticed this today: This agent does not currently accept unsolicited queries. Did this change since the original posting or is it just an error on AQ?

#12 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Dan, she was accepting unsolicited queries a week or so ago. I know because I printed out the AQC listing back on June 28th and it said she was open to queries. (Or I would not have sent mine). This must have changed recently.

#13 kiva555

kiva555

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

I just checked the above link, and it still says she is open for submissions.The website for the agency doesn't have her up as an agent yet.

Edited to add: read it wrong...saw the submissions policy, but I went back and sure enough, closed.
-Henry Rollins

Visit my blog

#14 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

In the AQ database link now it says she's not accepting queries. I wonder if that's because the other agent at the agency (Kate McKean) who is normally open for unsolicited submissions is closed from July 1st to Sept. 1st? (According to the website). So maybe the agency updated to reflect that info. It might not be correct for Ms Speilburg, not sure about that since, as Kiva noted, she's not listed on the website as an agent yet.

#15 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Lucid -

I think I submitted on the day this got posted (I was doing a batch of submissions and I tagged her onto the end.) I got my ER Jul 3.

Joey -

That first reject is a whole lot like a glass of ice water in the face. But at this point I'm like, "Reject? Hmm. Okay, NEXT."

I've got a few partials and a full out, probably 20 active queries floating out there (ones I haven't closed/no responsed), and there's nothing quite like a WIP to keep my mind occupied. I'm no RC, but I'm doin' okay.

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#16 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Good metric S Jenan. I submitted later than that and I suspect my response will be later. This agent is new and Crew has told us why that's a bonus. I suspect she was quickly flooded and those of us to the back of the line may expect a longer wait.

#17 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

So I can expect my form reject next week, I guess. :blink: I've also received enough to just say "oh well" and keep working.
And... one never knows! :cool:

#18 Diana O.

Diana O.

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Oh man! I had her on my list of the next 10 to query. :sad: I was waiting until next week to send them off. I guess I shouldn't send her one if she's closed now. That was really fast.
"I dwell in Possibility." ~ Emily Dickinson

Visit my website: Presently in the Past

#19 drm

drm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 192 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:"Fedora" a short story, my most recent pub in Cause & Effect. I'm seeking an agent for my completed novel; also looking into self pub, but it seems so daunting.

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

does it matter if the agent is not a member of AAR?

#20 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

S Jenan~Just wanted to say that sounds as if you're doing well and getting lots of interest in your MS! Good news to me, so let that little thing roll off of you like Rain X!

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users