32 replies to this topic

#1 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

POPULAR

AQC is a great writing community. That said, from time to time "strangers" pop in and offer to critique work and then disappear or people don't get what they expected. It happens. Life happens.

I'm here to say--use common sense when sharing your work. Even though this community is full of top of the line awesome folks who love to give--be smart. Occasionally the odd bad apple may get through the gates.

Things to think about before sharing your work:
  • Do you know this person? Have they posted much on AQC already? (Check the number below their image on their posts--it says how many posts they have.) As well, check out the query critique group as a lot of critiquers hang out there. Or, even better, go to their profile and click on the blue "Find Content" button to check out things they have posted.
  • Now that you have snooped around their profile, do you think you might mesh with this person? I.e. will their crit style leave you sobbing? Or will it be the best thing to ever happen to your writing this year?
  • How much do they want to critique? A few pages is generally safe, but if they want your WHOLE ms right off the bat, make sure you perform due diligence. Just in case. This is the Internet after all.
Other things to consider:
  • What is their turnaround timeline?
  • What do they like to read? If they read horror and write horror they might not be the best person to tell you whether your sex scene will fit Harlequin's guidelines.
  • How in-depth are you looking for? A quick read or an edit?
  • Start small. Send small bits and work your way up to a bigger commitment. (Unless it is a beta read--in which case it still may be smart to offer the first chapter to see if you two are a good fit and they want to keep reading.)
  • Is it sharing? If so, are you a good fit or will you regret the time you spend working with this person?
  • WHAT IS YOUR GUT FEELING? If your spidey-senses are saying "no," listen even if the person is talking a good game that feels irresistible.
But most of all--be smart. I don't want to hear about anyone getting screwed over or finding someone has taken their work as their own or posted it somewhere online without permission. Got it?

What else? Share your tips and ideas.

RECENTLY ADDED TIP: Once you have found a beta reader/critiquer, be sure to let them know if you need 'soft' criticism or if you want 'hard' criticism. If you are just starting out, you might want to only hear about the biggest overarching issue you have and not every little crushing nitpick. If you are a veteran, you might want to hear every little thing that isn't working. It is your responsibility to let them know what you need and want.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#2 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Very good tips. Good to know I'm not the only one who's wary when sending out things to people I don't fully know.

#3 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for this awesome post, Jean. It's so important not to jump at the first offer for help, but to get to know who you will be sharing your work with.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#4 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'll give this post a great big AMEN, SISTAH!

I limit my sharing to folks I've known here for awhile, and Marathon. (Since Clipper archives the posts it isn't too hard to prove who had what first.)

For myself. I plan on being here for as long as the site exists... or, until I get banned for being an ***hole. Which ever comes first. :wink: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Hey. Do I still sound like Jeff Bridges to ya all?)

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#5 A. E. Lucky

A. E. Lucky

Veteran Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

I wouldn't happen to be one of those people to watch out for, would I? I'll admit that I'm not big on posting, but as a general rule, I'm not much of an online presence. I don't have a blog, tweet page, facebook page or anything else like that because I'm not really one who likes to talk about his life. But I can assure you that I'm safe and that I won't try to steal your manuscripts or personal information... Mweh heh heh.
I'm not crazy. I'm simply a misunderstood genius.

On a related note, all geniuses are crazy but not all crazies are geniuses.

#6 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

I think you missed one sensible precaution, Jean because we're all about this electronic media. I have only shared my stuff electronically with close, trusted, personal friends. I've shared it widely on paper in three ring binders. Theft is possible but quite a lot of trouble, and I know all the folks well enough I could probably trace it.

#7 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

Good point, Tom.

AE, I believe you are mostly harmless, are you not? Kind of like planet Earth?

Thanks, all.

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#8 Joey

Joey

Owner of an Evil Little Manuscript

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Newspaper articles in hometown newspaper on medicine and specialty insurance topics. Stop by my blog where refreshing iced is served after swift, verbal punches are thrown.

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

(good reference Jean...I loved that description of Earth in the Hitchiker's Guide!)...

This is a great post! Always be careful. A.B.C. Keep that in mind.

Visit my blog! www.joeyfrancisco.blogspot.com

JoeynGA on Twitter!

"Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very"; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be."

~Mark Twain

#9 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

Like your Mark Twain quote, Joey. And yeah, Douglas Adams had a way with words, didn't he?

#10 Paula Bgoom

Paula Bgoom

Somewhat Advance Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:nothing as of yet but would just love some!

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

I am still a newbie so, I don't have much posted ..I never know what to really say. But, I do comment and go to the chat room. I Beta Read for a few people in chat. I really do not care for critiquing. But, I do make mention when I do find the rare errors. Does that mean I have to post more?
When Eyes are Opened (series ) - finished MS - editing

The Midnight Faery Moon - WIP

and another WIPs (series) not telling the titles yet .

"More sharper than a serpents tooth is Paula's chat" - Revo

#11 Steph

Steph

Steph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

I'm also terrified to share my work, afraid someone will steal it. Is that common for writers?

#12 Revo

Revo

King of Chat Summaries

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Blogs. Flash Fiction, Sports fans sites, assorted company memos, pestering fellow authors with inane question or suspect advice.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'm also terrified to share my work, afraid someone will steal it. Is that common for writers?

It's a balance; typical questions and insecurity vs. common sense.
You wouldn't just give someone you had a conversation with in a fast food resaurant a copy of your car keys, right?
Your work is protected to some degree (emphasis on SOME degree). Ideas are tougher since, like rock and roll, everything has been done at some time or another. We all hope to have put the pieces together in a differetn order, is all.
Read what Jean says at the top of the post. She hit all the major points far better than I could.

http://www.amazon.co...ds=Abaddon Arms

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

-T. Roosevelt

At the end of the day, wishes are just a suggestion box ticket for dreams, and dreams, while entertaining, are not of substance. Achievement is won on the ground, not in the clouds.

--Me

#13 Phoenixritu

Phoenixritu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:First novel published by Rupa & Co, and second by Popular Prakashan

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Great advise. I am looking for a beta reader, so I guess I will post on the forum

#14 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

For those following the topic, I added a tip tonight:

RECENTLY ADDED TIP: Once you have found a beta reader/critiquer, be sure to let them know if you need 'soft' criticism or if you want 'hard' criticism. If you are just starting out, you might want to only hear about the biggest overarching issue you have and not every little crushing nitpick. If you are a veteran, you might want to hear every little thing that isn't working. It is your responsibility to let them know what you need and want.

#15 Kryista

Kryista

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first book is now on Kindle. Whisper of the Mist. If you are looking for an interesting read, go check it out! :)

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Jean for the advice. I am through with my third book and want to have someone else go over it. I haven't been able to have any of my close friends read through it since they have been so busy lately. I was thinking about having a beta reader go over it, but was facing the conundrum of trusting someone enough to let them have the ms that I have spent months writing. I will just tread carefully and find someone from what you said. I appreciate it!

If anyone has a moment to spare, I, too, am in need of a critique. Thanks for the help!

http://agentqueryconnect.com/index.php?/topic/16613-mustnt-tell-ya-suspense/

Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook...authorkjohnston

#16 s3gun

s3gun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationAfrica
  • Publishing Experience:Novel:Cyber-Scammer published via amazon.com

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

I'm not the only one scared shitless about sharing my work on the internet...good! P.S... Peter, come to think of it, you do look a bit like Jeff Bridges! I thought you looked like some actor when I first saw your picture, just couldn't zero on who. But now that you mention it, I know who it is!

#17 Peter Burton

Peter Burton

Court Jester and Wanna Be Author

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self Published

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

LOL!

Just wait till I get a chance to steal Tony Stark's new designs and arc-reactor. evilgrin0030.gif

"But that's OK. There's treasure children always seek to find.

And just like us, you must have had, a Once Upon A Time."

~Elton John

#18 Katiemouse

Katiemouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:57 AM

Thanks Jean, these feet will tread carefully :)

#19 Steampunk Junkie

Steampunk Junkie

Steampunk Junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Now I feel better. There are other paranoid people out there! 

#20 Ladyshade

Ladyshade

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel "A Breed Apart" by S. J. Webb was published through createspace.com and is available for kindle as well as in paperback through Amazon.com the sales numbers suck.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

looking for someone with experience to read the first book  and perhaps give me a few critiques and pointers as I am starting part two.

I self published the first of the series, and I am not sure as to how to post parts or all if necessary to this site.. any help would help! thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users