Disclaimer

Photo

eBook - Start at Chapter One or at cover page?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Dillon

Paul Dillon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Debut novel published by Mark Williams international Digital Publishing July 2012

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've noticed that a number of Kindle books default to opening at Chapter One rather than the cover page. I'm debating which option to choose.

Perhaps one advantage of starting at Chapter One lies with the book sample. I'm guessing that most readers will download the sample before buying and it may be better to have the reader get right into the story rather than wading through pages of front matter.

Any thoughts on this?

#2 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

I like starting at the cover page. This is just my preference because when it starts at chapter one I feel like I've missed something and I go back anyway. So it doesn't help me in any way. I can see the benefit of starting on chapter one, I just don't like it.
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#3 Raziel

Raziel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't published fiction. However, I have published in my field (psychology), although I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I don't have any strong preference. What I think is more important is that separate chapters and the like are correctly identified in the table of contents or sidebar.

#4 Leigh Teale

Leigh Teale

Supergirl Writes Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:The Calera Journal; Wiregrass Living Magazine; The Subterranean Quarterly; Midnight Starling Press

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Personally prefer starting from the cover page. That is, as long as there isn't a zillion pages between that and Chapter One. There've been one or two ebooks that had lengthy acknowledgements and multi-page TOCs and the bibliography in the font and.... It was a nightmare of swiping to get to the right page. I like seeing the cover, though, because it makes me feel like it's more like a physical book.

skull-emoticon-for-facebook-status-comme   THE BUSINESS OF DEATH          Final Destination  x  Dead Like Me          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

stars-emoticon.png   CHANGELING          Magonia  x  Wings          Amazon | B&N | BAM | Powell's

#5 Raziel

Raziel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAustralia/New Zealand
  • Publishing Experience:I haven't published fiction. However, I have published in my field (psychology), although I'm not sure how useful that will be.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Out of curiosity, if you're using Calibre to make a MOBI file, what is the best way to make the book (on kindle) open up on the cover rather than the next page?

#6 margotdarko

margotdarko

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Just wanted to chime in on the original question - I hate that most Kindle books start with chapter one. Sometimes it even skips the prologue! I don't understand why that's become a trend. My very strong preference for novels on the Kindle is to start with the cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users