#1 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

I was poking around one of my old (1995) books on writing NF proposals and came across an interesting point I'd forgotten: researching books that are already out of print and those not yet in print.

It said you must check out Bowkers Books in Print and Forthcoming Books in Print. I've got to find the notes on finding books out of print, but I'll share that here too. In the meantime, feel free to add resources your fellow writers might find useful.

#2 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 04 November 2010 - 08:23 AM

Do they mean for when you do your title comparison in your proposal? Is that why you are looking up all these other books?

I've been told that the latest and greatest way to compare is to use Amazon and their ranking system for what is out there. Anything with a ranking of 100,000 or better is considered competition. So, if you are writing a cookbook, all those with a rank of 100,000 or better are comp. Same goes for math activity books, etc.

The problem is something can be ranked 180,000 one day and 99,999 the next. So, it isn't a perfect system, but it gives you an idea.

Now about forthcoming books...that's tricky!

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#3 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

I've not searched this particular site yet for out-of-print books, but I know of the site's fine reputation in general

http://www.oclc.org/...ooksinprint.htm

#4 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

Yes, that's about assessing the competition -- what's out there, what's been out there, and what's in the offing. As you probably know, having competition is actually a good thing. It means that there's a market. This would be included in the proposal.

Sometime soon I intend to start a thread about the elements of a nonfiction book proposal. Even though the market assessment tends to be about four of five steps into the overall proposal, it's often a good idea to do it first to make sure that one actually has a market for an idea.

#5 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

Totally, Matt. Plus, a proposal takes a whole heck of a lot more time than one thinks and it sucks to have your query hit a mark and then be like, um, can you give me a couple of weeks to put together a proposal?

I just finished mine, so if you want, I could start a few threads. What do you have in mind for organization? A different thread/topic for each part of the proposal?

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):

#6 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:09 PM

I like the idea of writing the proposal first, or at least doing the research of the concept before writing the query. The query certainly goes out first, but as you discovered, if the agent likes your idea, they will want to see a proposal.

#7 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

• Super Moderator
  • 9,301 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:41 PM

Yep, exactly. Plus, writing the proposal can help you narrow down your query and pinpoint what the highlights are, best marketing angles, the holes in the market, etc., etc.

#8 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

Here's another resource. Strictly speaking, it's a journal

Creative Nonfiction

http://www.creativenonfiction.org/

This is another term for what's also known as narrative nonfiction. Personally, I think I prefer Creative Nonfiction; it seems a more accurate term, since not all of this genre is necessarily narrative.

#9 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

This is posted under the proposal section as well, but I thought I'd post it here too.

Books and Such Literary Agency blog rocks my socks off. Even though they are Christian based, the information is solid and informative across the board.

Here's a link to the first in their series on book proposals.

Enjoy and best luck.

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#10 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

Here's another potential resource: I can't say I've read it, but I suspect it speaks for itself.

#11 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:15 PM

This is a thread that I will try to feed on a more regular basis.

Christina Katz has written a book called Get Known Before the Book Deal and I've seen good reviews about it, though I can't say I've read it yet.

#12 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Another good resource in general is Rachelle Gardner's blog, but this post has some great information regarding platform.

#13 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Some new and notable nonfiction for November ...

#14 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,583 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Not specific to nonfiction, these tidbits and pointers are helpful to all

http://www.poynter.o...ols-quick-list/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users