#1 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

This is a place for all the old folks to post something for all the new folks.

And you're an "old folk" if you've been here long enough to learn something from other AQC members.

If that's the case, then complete this sentence:

Before AQC, I...

Here's mine.

Before AQC, I had a "bullet point" query. I figured, with all of my experience with Hollywood development executives, who really don't want to read anything, that a query letter that pointed out all of the reasons why my MS was marketable would be better than something that, you know, told the story.

It didn't help that, for some odd reason, I got a request for a full on one of my first submissions. I figured I was the sh*t.

That agent passed. The requests stopped. I re-wrote my query with help from people here. Also worked on a pitch for a conference. 127 letters and the Writer's Digest NYC pitch fest later, I landed an agent.

And that's when this place really started to pay off.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#2 J. Lea Lopez

J. Lea Lopez

Glamourscribe

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My work first appeared in Divine Dirt Quarterly and Oysters&Chocolate. Sadly, these are both out of print now. Most recently, my short stories have appeared in two anthologies (The Spring and The Fall) from Elephant's Bookshelf Press. I have self published one novel and a short story collection.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Before AQC, I thought I was done writing and ready to query when I finished my first draft :tongue:

Life . . .                     Love . . .                     Lust . . .
SNE%20new%20cover%20tiny.jpg  Conseting%20Adults%20tiny.jpg  Melt%20tiny.jpg  lipstick%20marks%20tiny.jpg  The%20Guest%20new%20tiny.jpg

Mistress Editing for writers of romance and erotica. The safe word is SMUT.

Resident Jello Lover
Jello World
From The Write Angle

#3 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Before AQC I thought I was done with my first draft until I discovered here I couldn't write a coherent query for the current MS. I hadn't properly played out the highest conflict. Three rewrites later I can!

Celebrating a tiny bit today. I've been querying for about two weeks. I got my first not-a-form-letter rejection.

#4 Caterina

Caterina

Zombie Whisperer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Self-published my first book, Zombie Whisperer.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

Before AQC, I didn't know what CP, WIP, or MS meant. I've been learning all kinds of new methods of writing and it has brought me closer to people that are passionate about the same things as me.

#5 albrock

albrock

Some Low-Class Kind of Royalty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:A FINE IMITATION (Crown/May 2016)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Before AQC, I thought I was done writing and ready to query when I finished my first draft :tongue:

Same here. :laugh: Much better off now.

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

A FINE IMITATION

...on Goodreads

...on Amazon

amberbrock.net

#6 thrownbones

thrownbones

Veteran Of A Thousand Wine Bottles

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Before AQC, I thought THEY were all wrong, and I was 100% right. AQC helped me get my head out of my ass.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

UDamage_Cov_sm.jpgCrit_Damsm.jpg

#7 Jemi

Jemi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,761 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

Before AQC, I'd never heard of a query letter, and I thought a prologue full of backstory was a killer beginning! :biggrin:

#8 K McClelland

K McClelland

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:I've had some poetry published in various poetry books, newspapers, and some online things-I don't remember the specifics though. No novel published, yet. Oh yeah-I have had some articles published in various newspapers as well, but-like the poetry- it's been a while...

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

Before AQC... I thought my story was solid and ready to go (a story I've now completely re-written 3-4 times). I had no clue what a query letter was or that I even needed one. I (like Cat) new nothing of CP or WIP (I did know MS though). And I didn't know so many awesome and helpful people. Yes, that's a lot, but I could've kept going. :biggrin:
"I don't write. My characters do."

"A good Storyteller is born from imagination; A good Writer is born from passion; A good Author is born from both."

Check out my blog

My Twitter

#9 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

Before AQC, I thought it was impossible to sum up my oh-so-clever plot in a couple hundred words. Worse, I thought that was what I was supposed to be trying to do.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#10 RC Lewis

RC Lewis

Splitting Braincells

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,468 posts
  • Literary Status:agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:STITCHING SNOW, Hyperion, 2014
    SPINNING STARLIGHT, Hyperion, 2015

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Also before AQC ... I was in danger of getting sucked into the Us-and-Them mentality of traditional route vs. self-publishing. This is one place that acknowledges the situation is much more nuanced than that.

_-Snow-Small.jpg           Spin-Small.jpg
   Stitching Snow        Spinning Starlight
     October 2014                October 6, 2015
       Hyperion                        Hyperion

#11 Clippership

Clippership

Speculative Fiction Group Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I write science-fantasy, YA, and historical fiction. I've published non-fiction in magazines and my first novel was released in Sept. 2014.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Before AQC I was a solitary writer trying to make sense of the publishing game. Now I'm one of a host of other writers and I get to learn something new every day.

#12 bigblackcat97

bigblackcat97

BOOGA BOOGA

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:Four available novels from Harper Collins (see my signature) and an upcoming title from Pengun / Putnam (GIVEN TO THE SEA 4.11.17)

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

OH great thread -

Before AQC I thought anyone who didn't like my writing was either jealous or stupid.

Now I realize I was stupid.

"Establishing the accuracy of quotes found on the internet is extraordinarily difficult." - Jane Austen

13112869.jpg   DUSt+Smaller.jpeg  24376529.jpg  

@MindyMcGinnis

#13 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

OH great thread -

Before AQC I thought anyone who didn't like my writing was either jealous or stupid.

I think you might have been right. :)

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#14 Derrick

Derrick

Giver of Rocky-themed Pep Talks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

Before AQC, I believed everything my English professors taught me about writing. I wrote believing I could create a market rather than acknowledging that there's already a market out there.

#15 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Before AQC I ran out in the literary world with my pants down. I thought my story was da bomb. It bombed. 'Nough said.

(And RS? I remember that query. :wink: I was slightly in awe of your resume and summed up my guts to try and gently sway you away from the bullets. Glad it worked out for you.)

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#16 Melissa Bianco

Melissa Bianco

Can't lives on Won't Street

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:I self-published Real Life, a chick lit romance, in 2009. It's available on Amazon.

I've just completed a draft for my newest project, Intermission, and I'm looking for some beta readers.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

This is an awesome thread. I'm only two days old here and I've already learned more than I did surfing randomly for "agent", "publisher", and "author" on the internets. And how is it I'd always end up on YouTube watching videos of the Rockford Files or Linda Blair?

#17 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Before AQC I ran out in the literary world with my pants down. I thought my story was da bomb. It bombed. 'Nough said.

(And RS? I remember that query. :wink: I was slightly in awe of your resume and summed up my guts to try and gently sway you away from the bullets. Glad it worked out for you.)

Jean, you taught me SO MUCH. Not just about the query. I remember your thread on the old board about cutting "Suddenly" from your MS. I did the same thing to mine and discovered that the film editing concept of "cut on motion" applies in many ways to text editing.

BAD: On Screen - the actress walks, cut to: a cat jumps and runs away, back to: the actress jumps from fear.
GOOD: On Screen - The actress walks, her eyes flick to the right. Cut to: A Cat Jumping. Cut to: The Actress jumping. Back to: the cat walks away.

BAD. Suddenly, a cat jumps from behind a book case, scaring our hero.
GOOD. A cat jumps from behind a book case. Our hero jumps higher.

by R.S. Mellette

#18 E.B. Black

E.B. Black

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Before AQC, I didn't know anything about self-publishing or e-books. I didn't know that author's had to market themselves, I thought we just wrote stuff and publisher's marketed everything for you. I also got to meet people whose first books got rejected by all agents (which is me now, as well) who hadn't given up on writing. I might have thought that was the end of my career for sure otherwise. I thought I didn't need beta readers and that I could trust my family's opinions on my books.

Visit my web-site for links to my twitter, blog, facebook, and a way to e-mail me: http://www.ebblack.com/

Want a FREE novel? Love ROMANCE and GREEK MYTHOLOGY? Then download Pandora's Mistake on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

2urtog3.jpg

#19 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:The first Mark Mallen short story, PURE MALLEN, is out now on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The second Mark Mallen novel, CRITICAL DAMAGE, is out now. The third Mark Mallen novel, INNOCENT DAMAGE, will be out April 2015.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Before AQC, I was just a boozing, gambling, sexual deviate.

Wanna bet a drink on what I am now? Oh, wait... can't, sorry. I'm late for my appointment down at the clinic.

The first Mark Mallen novel, Untold Damage, is now available via Midnight Ink! Look for the second Mark Mallen novel, Critical Damage in April of 2014 (Should we all be here, natch).

#20 thrownbones

thrownbones

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Before AQC, I really had no real concept at the amount of work it takes to not only get published, but get published well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users