#21 MarcyKate

MarcyKate

There can be only One.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My debut novel MONSTROUS will be out from HarperCollins Children’s Books in Winter 2015!

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Before AQC, I had random beta readers from other places on the interwebs who were very hit or miss. Now I've got a core group of crit partners who ROCK.

Also, before AQC, I had no idea how to write a good query, let alone a serviceable synopsis. Now I've got ninja query skills! (and um, I'm still working on the synopsis skills... ;P)

#22 Lizzie Cameron

Lizzie Cameron

The Cool Kid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Southeast

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I know I'm still new, but...

Before AQC, I had zero confidence in my work. Now, after reading other people's queries, synopses, and first chapters, I realize, "Hey, I can hang."

#23 Jean Oram

Jean Oram

Your friendly, neighborhood, all-purpose moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 9,300 posts
  • Literary Status:published, self-published, in-between agents
  • LocationCanada
  • Publishing Experience:New York Times bestselling romance author. Independent author with traditional publishing experience. Everything from magazines to newspapers to short stories to novels.
  • City (optional):C-eh?-N-eh?-D-eh?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Jean, you taught me SO MUCH. Not just about the query. I remember your thread on the old board about cutting "Suddenly" from your MS. I did the same thing to mine and discovered that the film editing concept of "cut on motion" applies in many ways to text editing.

I remember that thread as well. Oh, the times when too many "suddenly"s were our biggest writing issues. <Looks pointedly in the direction of the editors reading her submission. Come on, come on. Someone's gotta like me!>

I love connecting with and helping other AQCers outside this forum as well. You can find me all over the place!

If you are looking for more about writing, you may find my blog helpful, as well as my Twitter feed:

*The Helpful Writer *Twitter

If you are a parent, you might be interested in my ideas on growing happy, healthy kids who'll thrive in this ever changing world (includes crafts, activities, games, articles, and fun!):
*Twitter *Blog *Pinterest *Facebook

I write stuff (www.jeanoram.com)

#24 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I remember that thread as well. Oh, the times when too many "suddenly"s were our biggest writing issues. <Looks pointedly in the direction of the editors reading her submission. Come on, come on. Someone's gotta like me!>

Yeah, that feeling is something that rarely gets discussed in front of the curtain. The stress of people reading your work increases as there is more on the line. Once you've got an agent and are going out on submissions, the wait gets harder, not easier.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#25 LucidDreamer

LucidDreamer

Pragmatic Dreamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:CROWN OF ICE and SCEPTER OF FIRE, Fantasy,Snowy Wings Publishing, May 2017
    Library mystery series, written as Victoria Gilbert. 1st book -- A MURDER FOR THE BOOKS -- releasing from Crooked Lane Books in Jan. 2018

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

Before AQC I sent out queries that were, uhm... very bad. I'd researched and read some books on queries but I did not get it. At all.
I still don't think my query is a knock-out, but at least I know what I query should be and how to work towards perfecting mine.
I also learned to slow down. I'm not going crazy sending out queries -- pacing myself as I learn how to improve my submissions.
Thanks, AQC!

#26 Cat Woods

Cat Woods

Juvenile Junky and Clairvoyant Ninja

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Literary Status:published, in-between agents
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:As Cat Woods: adult short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. Middle Grade Anthology: TALES FROM THE BULLY BOX (2014). Middle Grade Novel: ABIGAIL BINDLE AND THE SLAM BOOK SCAM (2015).

As A.T.O'Connor: short stories in the Seasons Anthologies. YA Novel: WHISPERING MINDS.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Love the thread, RS. Love the responses!

Pre AQ, I penned my manuscripts from my writing closet. Seriously, nobody I know has ever read my published works from this time, as I never told anyone about them. :sad:

Post AQ, I learned what support looked like and felt like. This site has made me proud of my passion and able to look at myself as a professional writer trying to sell my words to the world, rather than a wanna-be writer cobbling together a hobby.

A big thanks to all you amazing people, newborns and elderly alike. You rock my socks off! :happy:

Cat Woods
Juvenile Junction Group Moderator

Words from the Woods~ Blog for Cat Woods
From the Write Angle~ Group Blog

Whispering Minds~ Blog for A.T. O'Connor

SpringFeversthumb.jpg   thefall_front_cover.jpg

#27 r louis scott

r louis scott

Newbie. That's right, Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Before AQC I was a faithful follower of Miss Snark. Then she quit blogging.

Then I was a faithful follower of Nathan Bransford. Then he quit agenting.

Somehow I know you guys will be here when I finally get my act together. They have internet in the old folks homes these days, right?

#28 Lora Palmer

Lora Palmer

Defying Gravity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I have a short paranormal story, "Unfinished," published on Samantha Mabry's site, Flash Paranormal Fiction.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

Before AQC, I knew little about the publishing industry, or how to work through putting together a query letter (still refining it and making it stronger, but it's getting there), or strategies to query intelligently once the time finally comes. Now I feel like I'll be as ready as it's possible to be once that day arrives. And in the process, I've gained a wonderful community of people who are passionate about writing, and I love being a part of it!

THE MIRRORMASTERS is now available from Clean Reads!

Leah must  stop a galaxy-ending cataclysm—if her birth sister, who unleashed it as a power grab, doesn’t kill her first. 
My Author Website: http://www.lorapalmer.weebly.com

#29 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,446 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Before AQC I was a solitary writer trying to make sense of the publishing game. Now I'm one of a host of other writers and I get to learn something new every day.

Yeah, that summarizes my experience well. I also was looking for a welcome place where writers could share their experiences and help each other. I didn't know if it really existed. What a wonderful surprise to find this site!

#30 Lanette Kauten

Lanette Kauten

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:HOUSE OF THISTLES published November 2013. WITHOUT BORDERS to be published in serialization in the fall of 2015 by Cliffhanger Press. CASSIA, a literary novel set in an arts district, will be published by Evolved Publishing in March 2016.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:59 PM

Before AQC, I thought all agents did was take a percentage of the author's sales and delayed the time it took to get published. Ex: first you had to waste time finding an agent; then the agent looks for a publisher you could have gotten on your own. I didn't understand the purpose of the middle man. I've since learned how valuable agents are, and I want one.

#31 TinaHamilton

TinaHamilton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:I am shopping my first book, looking to get the perfect query letter so I can get some agents and editors reading.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

LOL...thank you RS...great thread. I am still new, mostly lurking, reading and hanging out in chat. I have been around the block to conferences and have tried the contest scene, but before AQC I had no idea how many rejections were reasonable to expect. I was worried at the two I had. Now I feel great about sending out more and lining my walls until that golden ticket arrives in my email.

Thanks!

#32 SteveK

SteveK

Advanced Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I would love some.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

I'm hardly a veteran, being a member for five weeks, but I feel I've learned a lot since joining so...

Before AQC I...didn't have a clue about the business aspect of writing. I came here looking for information on developing a query letter and help with a synopsis haven't finished and proofed my MS. I quickly discovered I was nowhere close to moving forward. RSM - Thank you again for your editing tips since I went from 111K to close to 95K without losing my storyline and MC development. I was also unable to find good beta readers since my friends just told me 'it's a really good read', but no useful critiquing.

Of course the more you learn, the more you realize how little you actually know, but this site has allowed me to grow and meet many people who have helped me since I joined. I hope I can help others as well, even with little experience.

-SteveK

Blog:     http://snkatzenwrites.wordpress.com/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/SNKatzen

#33 Paula Bgoom

Paula Bgoom

Somewhat Advance Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:nothing as of yet but would just love some!

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

before AQC I thought I was finished also..I mean I knew I needed to edit a few things but I didn't know anything about writing a query letter or a synopsis. Now , I just wait till I get all the edits back from a really classy bunch of people and go from there. No, I still have not wrote my query letter or synopsis...they scare me a bit still lol
When Eyes are Opened (series ) - finished MS - editing

The Midnight Faery Moon - WIP

and another WIPs (series) not telling the titles yet .

"More sharper than a serpents tooth is Paula's chat" - Revo

#34 misfitdevil99

misfitdevil99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:Not one single thing. Which is rather sad considering I've been telling stories since i was a child.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

This thread made me smile. As painful as my first week or so here has been, I realize I've been blessed to have stumbled into such a fantastic community. The veteran members are unbelievably dedicated to helping us all along the way.

So happy to finally be here.

I'm totally not; therefore, I write like I am.

Me on the Twitter: https://twitter.com/...ang=?lang=en,en

#35 DC Rich

DC Rich

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Published a short story with members of the Mississippi Writer's Guild. Still seeking to publish my books.
    Book is on Amazon under the title Pinebelt Poetry and Prose

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Before AQC I thought I had a great story, just needed an agent. Then I found that my query letter needed a lot of work, then I found out my MS needed even more work. I thought I was ready to publish, now I know I am a long, long way from publishing. However I've met a lot of great folks and I hope I've made some friends. Thanks for all the help and support, and I try to pay back as well.

Because of AQC I will have a better novel, and a better chance of finding an agent. Also because of AQC I may decide to e-pub, there are so many good folks here with so much knowledge I know I'll get the answers to questions, and answers to questions I don't know to ask!

DC

When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.
Always drink upstream from the herd.
Never squat with your spurs on.
-- Cowboy wisdom from Will Rogers

Follow me, or tweet me on twitter
Visit my blog The Write Time
Visit my group blog: Aliens, Dragons, and Wraiths, Oh My!

#36 mammaMia

mammaMia

The fennec fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:Hoping to add something here soon.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Before AQC I didn't realize that my manuscript needed a lot of cleaning up. I thought that my manuscript was ready to send out to agents, I thought that I only needed to work on my query (which I thought was near perfection), but many people here have helped me to find that both my query and my manuscript needed more work (in a nice way of course).

And above all, before AQC I never knew that there was such a thing called a writing community that supports you.

I've learned so much here and I am seriously indebted to all of you <3

AWAKENED (YA science fiction) -- shelved

WHO'S THE MOST POPULAR OF THEM ALL? (upper MG contemporary) -- shelved

GUNPOWDER, SPARKLES, AND JUST A LITTLE BIT OF RUM (MG fantasy) -- writing first draft (Query here)

UNTITLED YA FANTASY -- planning

UNTITLED MG FANTASY -- planning

#37 Brighton

Brighton

Radioactive.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Literary Status:media
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Before AQC I kept trying to talk my friends into writing novels so I would have other writers to talk to.
"The truth was that Jay Gatsby, of West Egg, Long Island, sprang from his Platonic conception of himself. ...and to this conception he was faithful to the end." -The Great Gatsby

#38 KC Rivers

KC Rivers

Official fangirl since Ocarina of Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:My first novel, "Prince of Light," is now available for Amazon Kindle.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Before AQC, I thought all I had to do was write the book.

(Boy, do I feel silly now.)

#39 S Jenan

S Jenan

Even my dreams are third person past tense.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:None.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

Before AQC, I wrote alone and revised alone. Now I've got GREAT crit partners and friends who will drop everything to help when I need it, let me know when my prose is rambling or getting too choppy, and share with me their daily ups and downs. I'm thrilled to reciprocate.

I figure eventually we'll all be writing jacket blurbs for one another. I can't wait.

WIP - Black Sea. It's not about the Black Sea.

Twitter: @sljenan Follow my ongoing quest to tweet that elusive 141st character...

Blog: The Slosh Pile More alcohol stuff than writer stuff. Wait, alcohol stuff IS writer stuff...

#40 SteveK

SteveK

Advanced Newbie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest
  • Publishing Experience:I would love some.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

I would love to get to the point where I can ask for advise on my jacket cover. But for now I must reside on asking for people to help with my queries and synopses.

-SteveK

Blog:     http://snkatzenwrites.wordpress.com/

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/SNKatzen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users