(Penny Avatar Inserted)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS South
  • Publishing Experience:Starting over.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

Before AQC, I thought I was the only one to make funny faces while writing.

Before AQC, I wrote backstory in chapter one.

Before AQC, I never would have considered self-publishing.

Before AQC, I had never heard of Nanowrimo or spoken to another author.

Before AQC, I thought I didn't have a chance.

"Until the last breath leaves my body, I'll keep walking."  --Allen Walker, "D. Gray-man"

#44 Keledron

Keledron

Here to help!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Mentality Magazine columnist, Gamespot.com featured community reviewer, Editor-In-Chief of Uncharted Frontier EZine

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Before AQC I had no idea what to do with my first complete novel (that I finished for NaNoWriMo 2012!).

Since I found this wonderful site in early december I've been lurking the boards, reading every article I could, and I'm drafting my first query letter for representation of my first novel (and editing and rewriting like a madman).

I'm about to prepare myself for my first walloping from this incredible community and post my query for critique soon. I can't express to this community enough what an incredible and invaluable source you've been to my writing passion already, and I look so forward to being able to contribute and give back in the future.

Thanks so much for everything so far AQ!

Any critiques on my current query for A Wizard Deceived would be highly appreciated, and I would gladly critique yours in return!

http://agentquerycon...rd-deceived-uf/

Synopsis critiques would be SO APPRECIATED!!

http://agentquerycon...izard-deceived/

Follow Merlin's journey to publication!

http://scribblersepic.livejournal.com/

#45 wordelemental

wordelemental

Outsider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:None

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Before AQC I didn't know how much I still had to learn.

Before AQC I was afraid to be a beginner.

I keep my cliches in the lower part of my writer's toolbox, in a drawer marked hazardous materials. A pair of lead-lined gloves hangs from the handle.  

Wait, I said in the toolbox.

Now that I've rendered your hard work into splinters, please have a go at mine.

#46 VPierce

VPierce

Word Game Junkie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Literary Status:unagented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Before ACQ, I wore my past experiences with querying as a badge, that this time it was "owed" to me to finally land an agent. Being on ACQ made me realize those other three books (especially that first one when I was eighteen, yikes) were not ready for publication, and essentially, I drafted a decent query letter with all three projects, got some help from my brother, but only edited those books by myself. No CP, or anything. Didn't even know what that was. 

Before ACQ, I thought good writing was good enough. Now, I see that even excellent writing doesn't always get published (traditional route) and that it takes a bucket load (and more) of hard work to obtain that level of writing. 

Querying/On Submission with "Needing Her" 

Revising "Savannah's Grace"

Drafting "Threads of Us"  

#47 Mourso

Mourso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Literary Status:self-published, media
  • LocationAsia
  • Publishing Experience:www.mourso.tumblr.com

www.hungrymindd.blogspot.com this one is blocked but only in Iran and China

www.46and2.persianblog.ir this one is blocked though.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

Before AQC I ran out in the literary world with my pants down. I thought my story was da bomb. It bombed. 'Nough said.

(And RS? I remember that query. :wink: I was slightly in awe of your resume and summed up my guts to try and gently sway you away from the bullets. Glad it worked out for you.)

LOL I like that pants down  :wink: I like your post obviously and I am looking for help in writing, this is part of my writing; It doesn't sound native to your ears since it's been written with different hands but my letters are nagging and demanding me with a sort of excitment and anger that why you our speaker(creator) god(me) do not care about letters rights?? they are looking to be free of letters world boundries and cry out their beating heart and make the history smile in the paradise of wiseness.

Please tell me if my English level is enough to continue writting my book, what I mean by my English level is that in case I publish my book someday, would a native English read my work?? I've been thinking that even if my English level could be perfect but since I am not a native I might not be able to pick mouth filling words in order to  transmit my feeling  out on the paper. thanks.

#48 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

Welcome Mourso. So far, your English sounds fine. One of the things you should be able to find within this site is another writer willing and able to give you honest critique and suggestions for change. What we hear from agents all the time is that what makes a manuscript stand out is its voice. There's no stipulation that says it must sound American or English or not have some sort of "funny" accent. The voice telling an excellent story is what stays with a reader.

That said, you'll likely want to share your work with beta readers (early readers who help you improve your manuscript), and they might also be able to help you clean up your English errors if/when they clutter the manuscript. Also, regardless of whether you're looking to get an agent or planning to self-publish, you'd want to hire an editor who can help get your manuscript ready.

No need to erect barriers to your progress. It's hard enough already.

#49 K.J. Harrowick

K.J. Harrowick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

Before AQC [...] I thought a prologue full of backstory was a killer beginning! :biggrin:

^This statement is full of win. :biggrin:  *hides my horrendous prologue*

Before ACQ I... thought my series was ready for an agent.  Woops! :laugh:  The first book stops in the middle of the action.... >.<

hcrp_175.jpg

"It was ancient, with the whispers of a thousand memories etched on its walls and forgotten with the slow sands of time."
~Excerpt from Bloodflower

Secrets of Sgådnor: First 250 | Query | Hook

Bloodflower: *coming soon*

#50 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • Literary Status:published, agented
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.
    Billy Bobble Makes A Magic Wand, Dec. 2014 Elephant's Bookshelf Press

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Bump.

If you're new and you haven't read through this, it's a great read.

If you've been here a while, take a look back on your experience and let us know how far you've gone.

From Elephant's Bookshelf Press

51xExIpByyL._SS140_SH35_.jpg51n1zBAR2vL._SS140_SH35_.jpg

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#51 Tom Preece

Tom Preece

Word Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationUS Northwest
  • Publishing Experience:Virtually none. Long long ago in college I was published in a couple of student magazines

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

Before AQC I did not know and love this tremendous community of writers to whom I will be forever grateful for showing me that I was not alone nor nuts.

Tom P

#52 TiffanyRos

TiffanyRos

Paranormal and Demon Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

This is an awesome thread. I'm only two days old here and I've already learned more than I did surfing randomly for "agent", "publisher", and "author" on the internets. And how is it I'd always end up on YouTube watching videos of the Rockford Files or Linda Blair?

I am new here as well, and already I have learned more than my brain can hold on to. This place is amazing, filled with such sweet, honest and down to Earth individuals. It is so pleasant to see an entire community of individuals, all working toward the same goal, yet still holding each other high, giving positive vibes and good nature and blessings to each other. Just fantastic.

Mahalo

Tiffany Rosenthal

Official Website     http://www.tiffanyrosenthal.weebly.com

Author Profile on Facebook     http://www.facebook.com/TRosauthor

Official Twitter     http://www.twitter.com/TRosauthor

Tumblr Blog     http://www.tumblr.com/TRosauthor

Official Blog     http://writersnook87.wordpress.com

Instagram     http://www.instagram.com/momma412

Email     tiffany.rosenthal.author@gmail.com

Fanpage for my book, The Auction Block     http://www.facebook....tionBlockANovel

#53 Cathleen

Cathleen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, self-published, unagented
  • LocationUS West Coast
  • Publishing Experience:one self-published biography

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Before AQC, which really isn't very long ago for me, I had no idea of the difference between a beta reader and a CP.  I had no idea about correct formatting.  I thought my MS was good enough to simply cruise through, pick up a few tidbits, and go straight to querying agents.  Thanks so much to all the people who have been so helpful here, and more in advance for the ones who are helping me learn so many things about becoming a professional writer.

#54 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest
  • Publishing Experience:The Xena Scrolls on-line and episode TV credit. I worked on the show for the first two years.

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Before AQC - I wasn't published.

by R.S. Mellette

"WOW. That is the first word that comes to mind when I think about how I felt reading this book - WOW. I was so pleasantly surprised - oh, let's be honest, it was more like blown away!" -- Holy B. In NC, Amazon Review.

#55 David Nees

David Nees

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Literary Status:just starting, emerging, published, self-published
  • LocationUS Southeast
  • Publishing Experience:"After the Fall: Jason's Story", is a full length novel in a post-apocalyptic time in Appalachian Mountains. It is now up on Amazon.

The sequel to "Jason's Tale", After the Fall: "Catherine's Tale, Part 1" and "Part 2" are on Amazon for pre-release; to be released in May, 2017 and June, 2017

Published in the following on-line journals:
    "Dead Guns Press"
    "A Thousand and One Stories"
    "Opening Line Literary 'Zine"

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

Okay, I get MS and WIP (work in progress?), but what is CP?  This is like learning all the twitter shortcuts.  I'm a complete newbie (as of today), so help me out here.

David Nees                        ATF-FINAL.jpg   

Visit my website               After the Fall: Jason's Tale

My Amazon author page

#56 mwsinclair

mwsinclair

Elephant with a trunk full of novels

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Literary Status:published, unagented, media
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Journalist covering U.S. nonprofits, foundations, and life in general. President and Chief Elephant Officer of Elephant's Bookshelf Press, LLC. Since establishing the company in 2012, we have published ten books, including short stories by several AQC writers and debut novels by AQC authors A.T. O'Connor (aka Cat Woods), "ScubaSteve" Carman, and R.S. Mellette. Heading into 2016, we're aiming to publish at least two books, including the second Mellette novel and an anthology. In 2015, I saw a few memoir/nonfiction pieces published in Red Fez. I expect to do more of that in 2016 and beyond, while also looking to add freelance editing and writing clients.

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

critique partner.

#57 mmonikque

mmonikque

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, unagented
  • LocationUS Midwest

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:43 PM

"127 letters and the Writer's Digest NYC pitch fest later, I landed an agent."
Woud you like to share the query that caught attention?-if you already did, escuse my request -I am new here

#58 RSMellette

RSMellette

I Have Many Skills.

• Group Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationUS Southwest

Posted 06 February 2015 - 01:01 AM

"127 letters and the Writer's Digest NYC pitch fest later, I landed an agent."
Woud you like to share the query that caught attention?-if you already did, escuse my request -I am new here

That's going back a ways... you can find that query in THIS THREAD.

That's a real throwback thread, since some of the books from those queries are now published.

by R.S. Mellette

#59 Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

This is a place for all the old folks to post something for all the new folks.

And you're an "old folk" if you've been here long enough to learn something from other AQC members.

If that's the case, then complete this sentence:

Before AQC, I...

Here's mine.

Before AQC, I had a "bullet point" query. I figured, with all of my experience with Hollywood development executives, who really don't want to read anything, that a query letter that pointed out all of the reasons why my MS was marketable would be better than something that, you know, told the story.

It didn't help that, for some odd reason, I got a request for a full on one of my first submissions. I figured I was the sh*t.

That agent passed. The requests stopped. I re-wrote my query with help from people here. Also worked on a pitch for a conference. 127 letters and the Writer's Digest NYC pitch fest later, I landed an agent.

And that's when this place really started to pay off.

Well, I'm very new so can't consider myself and ''oldie'' and shall be known as newbie (original I know).

I attempted a synopsis recently and when I found this site I realised that it was probably not what a synopsis is all about.  Synopsis is weird, it made my head hurt.  Anyhow, I followed a link to a good website from here and now I've added another ''better'' version to my post.  So you could say that I've already learned something.

I know I've learned lots already just from following how other members have developed their synopses.

It's a great place.

I'm a work in progress

#60 Dawn Marie

Dawn Marie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

Before AQC... I thought my story was solid and ready to go (a story I've now completely re-written 3-4 times). I had no clue what a query letter was or that I even needed one. I (like Cat) new nothing of CP or WIP (I did know MS though). And I didn't know so many awesome and helpful people. Yes, that's a lot, but I could've kept going. :biggrin:

I can relate to this post. I've only been here days and already I understand that my book is definitely not ready to go.  I am now working on it again and then hoping to get a beta reader and then a CP.  You guys have taught me so much, so fast.  Every time I log on I see something else that makes me go ah.  

Its reassuring to be around experienced writers who have already gone through the submission/rejection/offer process too.  Inspirational.   :happy:

I'm a work in progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users