#1 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

A year or two ago I met Kamy Wicoff, one of the founders of She Writes, a woman's writing web community. I was impressed both by her and her site. Now, she and her compatriots have set up She Writes Press, a hybrid publishing venture. This is not that unusual. Everywhere one turns these days there is a new collective/cooperative/hybrid publisher being set up. What is somewhat unusual is that the folks at She Writes Press are providing lots of details of their structure. (Many of newer hybrid presses are notorious tight with details unless you have the right decoder ring.)

Women’s writing site She Writes launches book publishing division

She Writes Press' structure is very interesting. I am not fully comfortable with some of the arrangements.

When an author’s book is accepted, she signs an agreement and buys the basic “She Publishes” package, which costs $3,900 and includes services like interior design, cover design, ebook production, proofreading, distribution via Ingram and some marketing. Authors can pay extra for services like copyediting and galleys.

The rates are actually pretty reasonable. One could spend far less, but many spend far more. I just don't like the author paying the publisher. Given the history of companies ripping off authors I think that a better arrangement would be direct the authors to free-lancers to perform the various tasks involved. That being said, there are some tricky issues related to maintaining quality and brand continuity that have to be addressed.

For anyone interested in hybrid publishing She Writes Press could be worth studying.

By the way, another writers' community, the Writer's Coffee Shop, made up primarily of women, also went into publishing last year. Their first book was called "Fifty Shades of Grey." You might have heard of it.

#2 Alniah

Alniah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:Reading Editor

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

This sounds like a vanity press but I may be wrong. The fact that the author has to pay the publisher is a big red flag.

"If my doctor told me I only had six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." Isaac Asimov.

BORN TO DIE (Sci-fi) : 85,000 words.
THE END WORLD (YA Sci-fi): 60,000 words
NIRVANA, INC. (Cyberpunk/Biopunk): 15K and counting
LINKED-IN (New Adult/YA Scifi): Brainstorming.

http://thepenpunks.blogspot.com

#3 Rick Spilman

Rick Spilman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts
  • Literary Status:published
  • LocationUS Northeast
  • Publishing Experience:My novel Hell Around the Horn is published by Old Salt Press

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

This sounds like a vanity press but I may be wrong. The fact that the author has to pay the publisher is a big red flag.

Knowing the people involved, I am sure it is not a vanity press. Nevertheless, I think they have made a mistake by having the writer pay the publisher because it does create that appearance.

#4 julialynn

julialynn

Julia Lynn Rubin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Literary Status:emerging, agented
  • LocationUS Northeast

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:17 AM

It's a vanity press. Steer clear. The money should flow TO the author. A publisher should buy your book and pay you in royalties. 

YA Author of BURRO HILLS (Diversion Books, 18) ♔ 

http://www.julialynnrubin.com

follow me on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users